sarahbakestudio Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 7:26pm
post #1 of

I make quite a few cupcakes and I pride myself on how moist they are. In order to keep them moist, I store them in airtight containers until they are to be served. The problem with this is that they essentially sweat. The liners get an almost oily/moist feeling and the frosting and tops of the cake get a dewy look. This eventually goes away when they are sitting out on my cupcake stand being served.

 

I really hate this, but I don't want to sacrifice my moist cupcakes. How do you store your cupcakes to prevent them from drying out without the above mentioned problem?

 

Thanks!!

22 replies
Jenna1588 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 8:05pm
post #2 of

AI started putting mine in a tin rather than plastic. I was having same problem as you. HTH

sarahbakestudio Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:02pm
post #3 of

Jenna, what do you mean by a tin? Is it airtight? Does this actually work?

 

Thanks!
 

Jenna1588 Posted 22 Jul 2013 , 9:16pm
post #4 of

AI use the Cadbury tins that sweets come in at Xmas time. A metal tin. It works for me, I found my buns starting to get sticky in my plastic cake box and oily paper. Best thing to do is get a plastic, metal and card box/tin put a couple cup cakes in each and see which is best for you. Could be to do with heat etc, Im in England and usually my kitchen is warm so think may add to it.

sarahbakestudio Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 11:41am
post #5 of

Anyone else have any other input on this. We can't be the only ones who run into this issue.

 

Thanks!
 

treatsandsweets Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 7:03pm
post #6 of

Hi! I do have the same issue! I was trying to figure out how else I could keep my cupcakes till they need to be delivered (or eaten..yum) and I was wondering if you have tried like a cupcake package box. It's not air-tight but it would help with the sweat I would think!

 

I'm going to go to our local hobby store and pick up a few boxes just to test it out.  I have a cupcake carrier but it gets warm in there and the icing doing keep shape.

 

I hope I helped!

sarahbakestudio Posted 3 Aug 2013 , 1:13pm
post #7 of

Yeah, I question if there is a way to keep the cupcakes moist, but also prevent them from sweating.

Marielijah Posted 7 Aug 2013 , 6:28pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbakestudio 

I make quite a few cupcakes and I pride myself on how moist they are. In order to keep them moist, I store them in airtight containers until they are to be served. The problem with this is that they essentially sweat. The liners get an almost oily/moist feeling and the frosting and tops of the cake get a dewy look. This eventually goes away when they are sitting out on my cupcake stand being served.

 

I really hate this, but I don't want to sacrifice my moist cupcakes. How do you store your cupcakes to prevent them from drying out without the above mentioned problem?

 

Thanks!!

I have tried putting them on a plate and covering with a glass cake dome and I get the same results.  They look dewy and the liners are oily.  I too would love to hear if anyone has had success in storing cupcakes without these issues.

icedcupcakes Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 10:31pm
post #9 of

AWe store ours in a plastic bin with an tight lid. We don't ice them until right before we deliver them tho. No one has complained about them and we get lots of compliments on their moistness.

Not much help other than to know we have the same issue n

Lfredden Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 11:58pm

ADo you think maybe that happens if the cupcakes aren't completely cool before putting the lid on?

sarahbakestudio Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 7:31pm

Lfredden, yes this will also happen if you cover them when they aren't completely cooled, but this is definitely not the problem I am having. My cupcakes without a doubt are cooled, but they still get moist and dewy when kept inside an airtight container.

 

I did some research online and this is what I found...Keep cupcakes in an airtight container to keep them fresh. Keeping cupcakes in an airtight container will make the sweat. Don't put them in an airtight container to avoid sweating.

 

So basically...there is not a win-win situation. If you want them to stay fresh and moist then you need to put them in an airtight container. If you don't want them to get dewy and sweaty then don't put them in a airtight container.
 

I will say that I find the sweating is far worse if the cupcakes are iced. I think this is because there is no place for the moisture to escape to. :/

I have some experiments I want to try to see if I can find at least a solution I can live with. I'll keep everyone posted.

ttaunt Posted 17 Aug 2013 , 9:00pm

Try putting a little raw rice in a little sachet bag or in a paper cup in container with cupcakes. Rice is known for drawing the moisture. I keep rice in my salt shakeer and peppeer shaker for that reason.

sarahbakestudio Posted 18 Aug 2013 , 5:01pm

ttaunt, I will have to try that. I have also heard putting a slice of bread or sugar cubes.

 

Would this draw the moisture out of the actual cupcake too or just out of the air? I am concerned about losing the moistness of my cupcakes.

 

Thanks for your advice!
 

Lfredden Posted 21 Aug 2013 , 3:09pm

APlease let us know if this works.

Carabella Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 11:27pm

AHi everyone! I always store my cupcakes in cardboard cupcake boxes. ( like cake boxes but they have inserts for the cupcakes to sit ) I never have an issue with sweating and it's very humid in Australia! I also never refrigerate them either. I've never had them drying out. I experimented one day with a few cupcakes to see how long they would last! After the third day, they were still nice and soft! I would of let it go longer but I don't keep anything out for more than that time! The cardboard absorbs the moisture and everything stays perfect.

embersmom Posted 29 Aug 2013 , 4:55pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabella 

Hi everyone! I always store my cupcakes in cardboard cupcake boxes. ( like cake boxes but they have inserts for the cupcakes to sit ) I never have an issue with sweating and it's very humid in Australia! I also never refrigerate them either. I've never had them drying out. I experimented one day with a few cupcakes to see how long they would last! After the third day, they were still nice and soft! I would of let it go longer but I don't keep anything out for more than that time! The cardboard absorbs the moisture and everything stays perfect.

 

I'm going to try this method.  I have 50 cupcakes to make for a party this Saturday.  I plan to bake the cupcakes later on today, let them completely cool, then store them in a half sheet box with parchment on both the bottom and resting on top.  I'll cover them with the box lid and leave them on the counter.  If they look like they're sweating, I'll prop open the cover a bit to let the air circulate (my mom used to do this with Tupperware, btw).  I'll be icing/decorating them Friday night as the party at noontime Saturday and I won't have time to do them in the morning.

Carabella Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 2:53am

A

Original message sent by embersmom

I'm going to try this method.  I have 50 cupcakes to make for a party this Saturday.  I plan to bake the cupcakes later on today, let them completely cool, then store them in a half sheet box with parchment on both the bottom and resting on top.  I'll cover them with the box lid and leave them on the counter.  If they look like they're sweating, I'll prop open the cover a bit to let the air circulate (my mom used to do this with Tupperware, btw).  I'll be icing/decorating them Friday night as the party at noontime Saturday and I won't have time to do them in the morning.

Hi embersmom Just a little tip, instead of parchment, use viva instead. This will draw any moisture away. I do this with everything I store. Cookies, cakes, macarons. I just put a square of it in there and it stops them from going soggy, stale or sticky. It's my little piece of miracle helper! I'm not sure on how the moisture of the cupcake will be without any icing on it as I've been taught that the icing ( or fondant ) along with the cupcake paper is what seals in the moisture. I always try to bake, decorate and serve the cupcakes on the same day as I find they are a little more temperamental than cakes! The biggest I had to do was for my sister in laws 30 th, 150 cupcakes along with 150 caramel tarts, a profiterole cake and a cupcake tower topper cake that is in my avatar! I can tell you I had never worked so hard in one day!!! My poor oven! I've stored cupcakes for myself in the boxes iced for 3 days and they are still so moist. It's always worked for me. I hope I've helped!

MBalaska Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 3:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carabella 
Just a little tip, instead of parchment, use viva instead. This will draw any moisture away. I do this with everything I store. Cookies, cakes, macarons. I just put a square of it in there and it stops them from going soggy, stale or sticky. It's my little piece of miracle helper!

Carabella:  thanks for sharing the tip on cupcake storage. A miracle helper is just what I need. (now if I could find a 'MH' to do dishes............)

Carabella Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 5:51am

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

Quote: [B]Carabella:[/B]  thanks for sharing the tip on cupcake storage. A [I]miracle helper[/I] is just what I need. (now if I could find a 'MH' to do dishes............)

Lol!!! That's exactly what I need! My mum suggested my daughter ( shes 5 ) but I think that might be bordering on child labour, that and the fact she can't reach over the sink!

sarahbakestudio Posted 30 Aug 2013 , 7:30pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabella 


Hi embersmom
Just a little tip, instead of parchment, use viva instead. This will draw any moisture away. I do this with everything I store. Cookies, cakes, macarons. I just put a square of it in there and it stops them from going soggy, stale or sticky. It's my little piece of miracle helper! I'm not sure on how the moisture of the cupcake will be without any icing on it as I've been taught that the icing ( or fondant ) along with the cupcake paper is what seals in the moisture. I always try to bake, decorate and serve the cupcakes on the same day as I find they are a little more temperamental than cakes! The biggest I had to do was for my sister in laws 30 th, 150 cupcakes along with 150 caramel tarts, a profiterole cake and a cupcake tower topper cake that is in my avatar! I can tell you I had never worked so hard in one day!!! My poor oven! I've stored cupcakes for myself in the boxes iced for 3 days and they are still so moist. It's always worked for me. I hope I've helped!

 

You baked and decorated all of that in one day?!?! That is unbelievable! Good for you.

 

Do you put the square of viva on top of the cupcakes? Or just inside the box somewhere? And that helps soak up the air moisture? I will have to try that trick too. I want to test out these suggestions and see which ones I have the best luck with.

Carabella Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 2:01am

A

Original message sent by sarahbakestudio

You baked and decorated all of that in one day?!?! That is unbelievable! Good for you.

Do you put the square of viva on top of the cupcakes? Or just inside the box somewhere? And that helps soak up the air moisture? I will have to try that trick too. I want to test out these suggestions and see which ones I have the best luck with.

Oooppps! Sorry, I didn't do it all in one day! I did the cupcakes, profiterole cake ( I made the custard the day before ) made the caramel ( made the cases a few days before ) and filled them and covered and decorated the cake. I always have a two day process for my cakes which is I bake them in the morning the day before, allow them to cool and settle for a few hours then I torte and fill and coat with ganache. I allow it to set overnight then I decorate. It was still a great feat! I almost didn't have time to make myself pretty and look like a gangster! ( Hollywood movie party! ) with the viva, my cupcakes are always in their boxes with the inserts so I don't need to use the viva as I always have them iced and ready so the box alone is enough. With other things, I'll either put a square under or on top or just put a square of it in the bag or container. It works great! When I make French macarons ( which are big pain in the backside but so good it evens itself! ) I put the shells carefully in a airtight container in between sheets or parchment and my square of viva, they stay fresh and for such a long time!

embersmom Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 7:06pm

Carabella, I ran an experiment with parchment on the bottom of one box and paper towel (alas, not Viva) on the other.  They both worked just fine.  I attribute the parchment being unscathed from the fact that it wasn't overly humid here.  I loosely covered both boxes.  All the cupcakes were still nice and soft.

 

If it had been overly humid, I would've ditched the parchment altogether ;)
 

sarahbakestudio Posted 31 Aug 2013 , 11:02pm

Still a very impressive feat even if not all in one day! :)
 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%