Spelling Pet Peeves?

Lounge By Annabakescakes Updated 8 Nov 2013 , 2:06am by mfeagan

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 5:42pm
post #61 of 291

Well, maybe if we see incorrect spelling on posts, we should correct the spelling for the poster.  It can only help in the business world.  When I go to a website and I see spelling and/or grammatical errors, I tend to take my business elsewhere.  It means the person with the website has not paid attention to detail.  It also may mean they did not have the business sense to hire an appropriate firm to do their website.  If I am paying for something, I want attention to detail.  

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:21pm
post #62 of 291

I love this thread. My mom was an English teacher and you can bet that I learned how to speak and write correctly.

Everyone has already mentioned my pet peeves except for the misuse of I and me as well as lie and lay. If I said I was going to lay down, my mom would say "What are you going to lay? An egg?"  I only did that once. icon_smile.gif

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:25pm
post #63 of 291

A

Original message sent by remnant3333

Einstein failed school but he was a genius!!!  Don't judge a book by the cover!! There will probably be many here whose feelings will be hurt deeply by some of the comments I see here. No one spells perfectly all of the time.

There's no reason for anyone to get their feelings hurt. My previous post was actually referring to my husband. I love him dearly but I don't think he could spell squirrel if his life depended on it. His lack of spelling accuracy doesn't make him any less of a man, nor does he get his feelings hurt when I correct him. I think he just tunes me out now...

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:48pm
post #64 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Well, maybe if we see incorrect spelling on posts, we should correct the spelling for the poster.  It can only help in the business world.  When I go to a website and I see spelling and/or grammatical errors, I tend to take my business elsewhere.  It means the person with the website has not paid attention to detail.  It also may mean they did not have the business sense to hire an appropriate firm to do their website.  If I am paying for something, I want attention to detail.  

Oh yeah!

People should have the sense to spent quite a few dollars and cents, since they can't do it themselves. 

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:51pm
post #65 of 291

Expresso instead of Espresso

Disclaimer: I'm not a perfect English speller and my grammar might be off some days. English is my second language.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:52pm
post #66 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

... If I said I was going to lay down, my mom would say "What are you going to lay? An egg?"  I only did that once. icon_smile.gif

wow, shanter, cool!

once was enough, man --so what kind of egg came out

icon_lol.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:52pm
post #67 of 291

As previously stated, most people with English as their second language have better grammar than those of us who grew up in the U.S.

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:53pm
post #68 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

There's no reason for anyone to get their feelings hurt. My previous post was actually referring to my husband. I love him dearly but I don't think he could spell squirrel if his life depended on it. His lack of spelling accuracy doesn't make him any less of a man, nor does he get his feelings hurt when I correct him. I think he just tunes me out now...

My husband says he does it "on accident." Every time he would get irritated when I would say, "You mean you did it accidentally, or was it an accident?" I think he has figured out I'm not going to give it up, and is correcting himself, now. He would say, "Well, I didn't do ON purpose!" So, my reply would be, "You mean you weren't purposeful in your intent? You didn't do it purposefully?"

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:56pm
post #69 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakewitch 

Expresso instead of Espresso

Disclaimer: I'm not a perfect English speller and my grammar might be off some days. English is my second language.

That gets me every time... And I have heard it so many times that I find myself saying it, or trying to spell it that way, and it takes a few "clicks" to realize what I have done... 

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:57pm
post #70 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

wow, shanter, cool!

icon_lol.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA! 

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 7:03pm
post #71 of 291

Some chefs(?) on tv says Marscapone instead of Mascarpone

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 7:49pm
post #72 of 291

AI always say marscapone!

shanter Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 8:31pm
post #73 of 291
Quote:

wow, shanter, cool!

icon_lol.gif

"Mama, I'm not going to lay an egg!" (My choice would have been a Faberge Easter egg.) icon_wink.gif

It took me a few years to get my doctor to stop saying "Now lay back." and instead say "Now lie back."

shanter Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 8:33pm
post #74 of 291
Quote:

wow, shanter, cool!

icon_lol.gif

Faberge.  icon_biggrin.gif

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 8:34pm
post #75 of 291

Alright, well I'm going to get in trouble for this, but 'I could care less'. In the rest of the English speaking world it's 'I couldn't care less". 

And, this isn't English but anyone who tries to use the word voila and comes out with some other version of it. 

If anyone who spells so poorly genuinely thinks they are spelling words correctly, are they blind? Do they really not notice that the rest of society spells it a different way to them? That's what I don't understand. And when people are replying to something where it has been spelled correctly, especially names, that's just ignorance/laziness.

I also make it a point to avoid websites that are full of spelling errors. It demonstrates a lack of attention to detail to me. 

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 8:34pm
post #76 of 291

Fabergé  judge.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 8:35pm
post #77 of 291

A

Original message sent by shanter

Faberge.  :D

I believe you mean Fabrijay.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 8:39pm
post #78 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 
but anyone who tries to use the word voila and comes out with some other version of it. 

You mean such as viola? That is an instrument. Or like walla? Ughh *shudders*.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 8:39pm
post #79 of 291

Walla, walah, viola, all of them.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 8:42pm
post #80 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicB213 

My biggest speech pet peeve is:

I want to AX you a question... my response is usually "Please don't ax me... I want to live but by all means ask me anything you like."

OR

Samwich vs Sandwich... please annunciate!!!

Doncha mean sammitch?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 9:06pm
post #81 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Faberge.  icon_biggrin.gif

of course only the best!

icon_biggrin.gif

i'd a been torn if it was a cadbury..

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 9:12pm
post #82 of 291
Quote:

If anyone who spells so poorly genuinely thinks they are spelling words correctly, are they blind? Do they really not notice that the rest of society spells it a different way to them?

No, they don't notice. 

Mst pple's brain wll fll in wht's mssng an thy wll nt evn no tht wht thy r rdng is mssplld.  Of course, this is only true to a limit.

The brain does a trick which actually fills in the missing bits (as long as there aren't too many) so that what is being read makes sense to the reader.  Maybe I'm dating myself, but does anyone else remember the ads that started "f u cn rd ths" which were for a shorthand course.  Their method of shorthand looked a lot like the text speak used today.  It's just the evolution of the language.  People spell phonetically and regional dialects spelled phonetically sometimes look like a foreign language.  Eventually everyone will be spelling 'Knife" as "nife", because while the silent "K" adds nothing to the recognition of the word (and adds nothing to a 140 character tweet), the (equally silent) "e" at the end indicates that the "i" is a long vowel. 

Of course, that's not to say that "marshmellows" and "walla" don't drive me crazy.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 9:17pm
post #83 of 291

There are grammar forums and there are cake forums. This is a cake forum.

Let's lighten up. 

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 9:18pm
post #84 of 291

giggles silently in the darkest corners of CC.

shanter Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 9:18pm
post #85 of 291

I peeked at the tree on Christmas eve and my curiosity was piqued by a huge package under it. Maybe there was a 4-tier cake in the box.

(Edited to make it about cakes. Sheesh. This thread is in The Lounge.)

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 9:23pm
post #86 of 291
Quote:

Alright, well I'm going to get in trouble for this, but 'I could care less'. In the rest of the English speaking world it's 'I couldn't care less". 

And, this isn't English but anyone who tries to use the word voila and comes out with some other version of it. 

If anyone who spells so poorly genuinely thinks they are spelling words correctly, are they blind? Do they really not notice that the rest of society spells it a different way to them? That's what I don't understand. And when people are replying to something where it has been spelled correctly, especially names, that's just ignorance/laziness.

I also make it a point to avoid websites that are full of spelling errors. It demonstrates a lack of attention to detail to me. 

Oh yeah! That, too! When I'm arguing and someone retorts with "I could care less!" I just SMH

And I Heartbeat-animated-animation-heartbeat-smiley-emoticon-000335-facebook.gif your rant! 

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 10:01pm
post #87 of 291

I noticed that in the UK and Australia, and maybe some other countries as well, that some of our words that we're use to, they have a "u" added in, and it took me a while to understand it was the way they spelled in their country of origin.  Such as flavour, colour...I use to wonder why they did that, but then you have to look at our language with all the silent letters in them and you kind of have to wonder how any of us really learned to spell correctly with so many unnecessary letters in our words.  I still get confused by "use" and "used".  Like in the sentence above where I say "I use to...", I've had people tell me it should be "used".  To me that's wrong, but I haven't taken the time to look it up or really worry about it..I still use "use".

My husband is a horrible speller.  He doesn't let a lot of other people know about it, but he's always coming to me and asking me how to spell something, and sometimes he looks at me as if he thinks I'm pulling his leg and he'll ask me to spell it again 'cause he doesn't believe it's spelled that way.  I've often wondered, too, if all this texting is really good for our kids.  How are they going to learn to spell correctly with all those shortcut words?  I saw a cartoon once where a child was participating in a spelling bee and they asked him how to spell "late".  He spelled it "l8".  Makes ya kinda wonder....

Annabakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 10:05pm
post #88 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerle 

I noticed that in the UK and Australia, and maybe some other countries as well, that some of our words that we're use to, they have a "u" added in, and it took me a while to understand it was the way they spelled in their country of origin.  Such as flavour, colour...I use to wonder why they did that, but then you have to look at our language with all the silent letters in them and you kind of have to wonder how any of us really learned to spell correctly with so many unnecessary letters in our words.  I still get confused by "use" and "used".  Like in the sentence above where I say "I use to...", I've had people tell me it should be "used".  To me that's wrong, but I haven't taken the time to look it up or really worry about it..I still use "use".

My husband is a horrible speller.  He doesn't let a lot of other people know about it, but he's always coming to me and asking me how to spell something, and sometimes he looks at me as if he thinks I'm pulling his leg and he'll ask me to spell it again 'cause he doesn't believe it's spelled that way.  I've often wondered, too, if all this texting is really good for our kids.  How are they going to learn to spell correctly with all those shortcut words?  I saw a cartoon once where a child was participating in a spelling bee and they asked him how to spell "late".  He spelled it "l8".  Makes ya kinda wonder....

I always want to add the "u"to words and I was born and raised in the states ;-) I think it looks fancier, lol. I always want to add and "e" to the end of blonde, and grey and gray confuse me, hahaha!

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 11:12pm
post #89 of 291

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

I always want to add the "u"to words and I was born and raised in the states ;-) I think it looks fancier, lol. I always want to add and "e" to the end of blonde, and grey and gray confuse me, hahaha!

"I always want to add [B]an[/B] "e" to the end..."

I know, typos and spelling incorrectly are two different things but I couldn't resist ;)

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 11:27pm
post #90 of 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

"I always want to add an "e" to the end..."

I know, typos and spelling incorrectly are two different things but I couldn't resist icon_wink.gif

OMG!  I do this all the time!!!!!  It drives me nuts how many times I have to correct "and" to "an".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%