How Do You Unwind After Preparing For An Event?

Decorating By Sherri2012 Updated 16 Sep 2012 , 7:55am by mcaulir

Sherri2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherri2012 Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 5:18am
post #1 of 16

Hello. I am fairly new to cake making, especially when it is for events. I do not sell cakes yet, just donate them while I try to sculpt some talent.

I have made for several large crowds, and each time, I get so excited. I stay up for a few days without hardly any sleep working on all the cakes and goodies, and can't wait to see how it comes along. Then the event comes, and everything is done, and I find it hard to unwind. Tonight I came home after dropping off cakes for a charity event I was excited about, and though I am tired as all get out, cannot sleep!

How do you unwind?

15 replies
mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 5:41am
post #2 of 16

Alcohol!

No, really, I just look at the mess in the kitchen, and contemplate cleaning it, and that brings me down really quickly.

Sherri2012 Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 5:49am
post #3 of 16

haha!

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do have lots of stuff to put away! lol

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 10:00am
post #4 of 16

A well deserved glass of wine , and then maybe another one.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 11:33am
post #5 of 16

GIN & TONIC....no ice...... whilst sitting in a restaurant - so as someone else can cook, serve and then do the bloody dishes.... thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Works for me - any night of the week...
DH just said he agrees.

Bluehue

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 16

I clean up. Visit facebook. Then come to CC forums. I just sent my daughter and sister to drop off 2 cakes. Happy sigh!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 16

Ditto on the wine! Should probably build it into my business expenses icon_smile.gif.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 16

My hubby takes me out to eat almost every Saturday night because he knows there is NO way I'm cooking!!! This totally helps, and scores him some points too!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 16

I too can't sleep the night before a wedding, especially when the cake is a really good one. Can't wait to get going and display it then take photos for my web site. Takes me a while to calm down too - I usually clean out the car then download the cake photos and sit still for a few hours watching TV. But no matter how hard I try to relax, the next morning when I can sleep in - I'm up at the crack of dawn - mad at myself but with a smile on my face for a job well done.

bunnykins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnykins Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 8:11pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Alcohol!

No, really, I just look at the mess in the kitchen, and contemplate cleaning it, and that brings me down really quickly.

Lol I second that!!! there really is no bigger come down than the sight of a small home kitchen after completing a major cake!!!

Sherri2012 Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 16

Going out to eat is a fun thing I might try. All I know is what I did last night wont work. I couldn't get the momentum I had built up to work work work and get it done, to quit after I dropped it off, and came home and bit all my fingernails off. lol Thats not how I want to handle it every time! I'll try eating out or something. Maybe I'll go for a hike.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 12:46am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykins

Quote:

Alcohol!

Lol I second that!!! there really is no bigger come down than the sight of a small home kitchen after completing a major cake!!!

thumbs_up.gif

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 1:54am
post #13 of 16

Just did it. Went out for a Steak and a Beer.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 2:16am
post #14 of 16

I work a full time job and do cakes part time, until I can do cakes full time. This had turned into 12 - 14 hour days, 6-7 days a week.
When I am finished a big event, I put my feet up and chill out, swearing I never want to see another cake for a few days.
Within moments, I usually end up on the internet, looking at new cake designs and checking the business e-mail to see when my next cake order is.
Yeah, I admit, I'm eat up with it.
I've become a bit obsessed.

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 3:02am
post #15 of 16

Liquor.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 7:55am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykins

Quote:

Alcohol!

My problem is that my kitchen is kind of on the big side, and I seem to cover every square inch (and the floor) with mess. I think it just expands to fill the space available!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%