Cake Flowers To Match Wedding Dress

Decorating By Olenmetra Updated 26 Jul 2012 , 6:29am by vgcea

Olenmetra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olenmetra Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 9

CC has always been sooo helpful with my MANY questions. Anyhow, I am doing a wedding cake in a couple of weeks and the bottom tier will be covered in fondant/gumpaste flowers. I want to match the flowers with the dress. See the attached picture. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THE TYPE OF FLOWERS THESE ARE AND POSSIBLY A TUTORIAL? I actually need to get started on them so I can have them done in time. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON TECHNIQUES/DESIGN FOR THE ENTIRE 4 TIER CAKE, ITSELF (the cake should resemble the dress)? ALL suggestions are welcome...you may have something that I hadn't thought of. LOL!
LL

8 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 9

I don't think it's a "type" of flower but a style of fabric flowers. I think that if you start out with a rose center then add a lot, ok a LOT of petals, you'll be all set.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 25 Jul 2012 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 9

I'd go for something like this:

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.ca/2010/06/mames-rolled-roses.html

Scroll down past the ballet slippers for a tutorial on rolled ribbon roses. You might want them larger, but that would just be a matter of practicing with longer and wider fondant strips. hth

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 12:17am
post #4 of 9

Go to the site called my cake school and then look at the blogs. There is one called pretty pink flower cake. There will be a whole tutorial on this. You can tweak your flowers to look more like the dress by not having such a small center. The other thing you could do is make concentric circles and frill the edges with a toothpick/skewer and lay each circle on top of the bigger one--fabric flower. There are a ton of flower tutorials but I think you don't want to go the ribbon rose route as those don't look like ribbon roses to me. JMHO. Good luck.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 12:32am
post #5 of 9

I think AKS has the right idea. They really are not a specific flower but a styleized fabric design made to look like a flower.
Just cut 3 or 4 rounds in progressively smaller sizes, ruffle the edges, then stack them.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 1:47am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Just cut 3 or 4 rounds in progressively smaller sizes, ruffle the edges, then stack them.

this. i have a couple of cakes with 'fabric' flowers done this way in fondant. If you are going to be overing a cake in this style and the flowers are quite large, the you want to dry them on a curve to mimic the curve of your cake. If you dry them flat, then they will stand off the side of the cake (see my photos of a white cake with purple ruffle flowers.

if you want a buttercream finish, you can get this full-flower fabric look by doing the large 1M rosette to cover the tier.

Olenmetra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olenmetra Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 4:17am
post #7 of 9

@AKS..... The circles are exactly what I was thinking. I just wasn't sure if I was off or on course.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 4:43am
post #8 of 9

Glad to have helped. Can't wait to see the final result! thumbs_up.gif

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 6:29am
post #9 of 9

Or... you could make your cake look almost exactly like the bottom of the dress:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2266835/wafer-paper-rose-tutorial
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%