Criss-Cross, Diagnal And Layered Fondant Patterns

Decorating By Olenmetra Updated 16 Mar 2012 , 5:02pm by Olenmetra

Olenmetra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olenmetra Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 7

PLEASE HELP! Please look at my pict that I drew. I have a wedding coming up and this is the cake that the bride would like. The cake is acutally designed like her dress. Anyhow, she want these fondant techniques that I have not tried before. I know I can do them if I try but I need some advice, some help, a tutorial, anyone willing to Skype etc (LOL)! If you live in or near Greensboro, NC I'd be willing to come to you with my cake dummies so I can practice. [/img][/b]

Please let the suggestions pour in... from the construction down to the technique of how to start this cake. I wrote the details of each tier out. If you think I should replace/rethink something... PLEASE ADVISE!

ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME.... you can be honest... but make sure it's constructive. THANK CC FAM!
LL

6 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 7

I did something similar to your top tier and wrote up a tutorial with lots of pics
http://www.keeponcaking.com/2010/09/pleated-fondant-tutorial/

You could apply the same technique to the bottom tier. The middle tier is similar but just without an angle.
It is easier than it looks but I recommend few things:
1)Plan for more fondant than you think you need
2) Roll the fondant as thin as possible because when you layer it, it gets thick quick
3) Use ganache under the fondant to give you a super smooth surface to work with.

When I tested the technique on a dummy cake it was stunning. When I did it on a buttercream iced cake it was a little lumpy which I was disappointed. That's why next time I would use the ganache.

Olenmetra Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 7

@Silly TY TY TY!!!!!!!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 7

To get the stripes on straight on the second tier down, I would treat myself to a Wilton Side Marker. It pokes or scribed lines on the side of your cake in equal proportions for you to use as a guide.. Another great trick I've used before is to cut my strips - on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper - don't move them - then pop the cookie sheet in to the freezer and freeze for 15 - 20 mintes. Remove one stripe at a time and apply while still stiff and cold - this way you don't get any stretching of the fondant. Oh before you go into the freezer to get one strip, moisten the area on your cake with water that you will be placing it.

Olenmetra Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 7

@DeniseNH - thank you. i will definately get one. i think i recall seeing them in the start for about $6 or $7. Regarding the fondant, if i freeze it first, won't it crack when I try to wrap it around the cake? OR, can i lay the fondant down on the cookie sheet, already measured out and stacked, then it up as one piece and wrap around the cake (instead of wrapping strip by strip)? Will that work?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%