Design Change

Decorating By debidehm Updated 19 Feb 2012 , 2:03pm by sillywabbitz

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 3:25am
post #1 of 12

My nephew's girlfriend called (sister of the bride) and wanted to order a bridal cake from me a couple of weeks ago. I asked what she wanted, and all she said was that she wanted it to be 3 tiered, to have roses and cali's, and the colors ivory and pale pink. She said since she has seen several of my cakes, she trusted me to come up with a design. Which I did...and sketched out a few times for my own reference. She wasn't interested in seeing the design, she wanted to be surprised along with the bride-to-be and guests. No problem. So about a week and a half ago I start making the roses and cali's so they have plenty of time to dry (fondant) and doing this on my days off and after work. Let's just say I've already invested some time into it.

Now, 3 days before the event, the mother of the bride calls me while I'm at work. I can't take the call...well, because I'm at work. I ignore the call and plan on calling back when I go on a break. I call her back, and she says she has a napkin they're using at the shower that she wants me to fashion the cake after (there's a picture of a "cartoon" cake on it. The only thing that resembles what I have been working on is the pink. The napkin is white...not ivory, and also has silver and black on it. I told her I would have to talk to her further once I left work. We hang up, and she proceeds to call me back (within 5 minutes of talking to her) 5 more times!

I've never had this happen before, where I was given the green light, then someone else steps in 3 days before trying to change things. I'm really frustrated at this point. I'm giving them a steep discount based on the fact I know the bride-to-be's sister and am now frustrated because now the mom is calling and changing things so late in the game. Has anyone else had an experience like this? In all the time I've done cakes...this is a first for me.

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 3:43am
post #2 of 12

You NEED to tell this mother the design is already committed and at this late date cannot be changed!
Be sure to let this lady know you canNOT take calls while at work and ignore any she might still make to you.
No one can take advantage of you unless you let them. Stop this now before it gets worse icon_sad.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 3:48am
post #3 of 12

I agree with kakeladi. Additionally, the mother is not your client. Your client is your nephew's girlfriend. The mother has zip, zero, zilch to do with this order. Refer all future calls to the nephew's girlfriend.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 4:04am
post #4 of 12

I agree. You had an oral contract with the nephew's girlfriend and that's what should count. What, did the mother think you just make an entire wedding cake the day before the wedding?????

debidehm Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 5:55am
post #5 of 12

I'm sticking to my original design. You're all right...my oral contract is with the sister of the bride, and if the mother wanted to be a part of the discussion, she could have met with me or called me herself (sooner than what she did). I will use this as a learning experience. To make sure once I get an order and the design has been agreed upon, that they have only x amount of days to make any changes and that if they make changes once I've started flowers or whatever, there will be a fee involved!!

Thanks for the input.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 12

Better get ALL of your $$$ before you sit the cake on the table because I'm betting that you'll get grief about payment now because the design isn't "right"--what they wanted to change it to 3 days before the event.

If you're not paid IN FULL before, or at, delivery, be prepared to WALK AWAY WITH THE CAKE and not return with it until you get every single penny. And NO refunds for any reason, unless you happen to drop the cake.

Rae

debidehm Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 2:38am
post #7 of 12

Oh yea...I plan on getting paid before I leave. I even made a form for them to sign saying the cake was received in good condition, and plan on taking pictures of the cake before I leave. Believe me, after dealing with this mother, I'm covering my bases. My brother knows the lady through his son (son is dating her daughter) and says she "flighty". I found that to be true!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 3:04am
post #8 of 12

I would dare say it's smarter if you can get full payment BEFORE you deliver. It's amazing how people can't be found...or aren't there yet...or whatever. Get the final payment the day before the cake is due. Most bakeries demand full payment weeks before the wedding. It's not unprecedented so CYA. Period. And good luck on getting someone to sign your form saying the cake was delivered in good condition. No one wants to take responsibility should something happen. Pictures for sure.

debidehm Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 3:19am
post #9 of 12

I have no doubt that it will get signed...I won't leave without the girl that ordered the cake or her mom signing it. If they don't, I'll just tell them I can't leave the cake unless they do.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 4:14am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidehm

I have no doubt that it will get signed...I won't leave without the girl that ordered the cake or her mom signing it. If they don't, I'll just tell them I can't leave the cake unless they do.

If the only one available to sign for the cake is the mom, she might be perfectly OK with you not leaving the cake.

debidehm Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 1:30pm
post #11 of 12

The paper I brought to have signed was signed. They loved the cake, and the Mom even said that the cake I made (this was for the bridal shower) was probably going to prettier that the actual wedding cake (I'm not making that one)...so it all turned out well. Maybe the girl that ordered the cake with me didn't show her Mom pictures of the other cakes I made, and maybe the Mom was just nervous about what it was going to look like. They were all very pleased, and the Mom even paid me a little more than what I quoted them!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 19 Feb 2012 , 2:03pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidehm

The paper I brought to have signed was signed. They loved the cake, and the Mom even said that the cake I made (this was for the bridal shower) was probably going to prettier that the actual wedding cake (I'm not making that one)...so it all turned out well. Maybe the girl that ordered the cake with me didn't show her Mom pictures of the other cakes I made, and maybe the Mom was just nervous about what it was going to look like. They were all very pleased, and the Mom even paid me a little more than what I quoted them!

That's wonderful. Glad it worked out for the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%