#233 Grass Tip! Help!

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 13 Feb 2012 , 4:16am by ajwonka

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 8

I feel really weird asking for help with this tip, but what am I doing wrong?? I tried making "fur" on my stand up cuddly bear last night and the grass was not working.. I added a little corn syrup to my frosting and it was the perfect consistency for decorating. But i'm not sure if I wasn't using the tip right or what. Sometime's only a few of the holes in the top would have frosting comes out of them, one side would have a long string come out, it just wasn't working right.... Does anyone have any tips for me since I have to use this tip in 4 days to make my dad and brother's birthday cake... Thank you!

7 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 8

Make sure all the holes are open on the tip - use a pin to check. Also, your frosting consistency should be on the thick side. It might hurt your hand after doing it a lot, but it will stand up better. Remember to squeeze, then stop and pull up to give it that grassy look. Good luck.

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 8

I use this tip all the time for grass and fur and use a thicker icing. I put the tip close to the cake and squeeze while moving the tip slightly away so it doesn't create a "blob", stop and then pull. If you are still squeezing the bag while pulling you will have these long pieces which will not look right. Also, when doing the next batch of fur, keep tip close to the icing you just did so there are no spaces.
Good luck!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 8

I just used this tip last weekend and mine kept clogging. I had to take the tip off and use a toothpick to open each hole. Oddly it only helped if I did it from the inside of the tip. I had to do this several times while making cupcakes.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 12 Feb 2012 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 8

Your icing might have some lumps that won't go through the little holes...

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 12:34am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for all the tips!!! I will try poking a toothpick or something in the holes to make sure they are open, try a thicker icing and to sift my powdered sugar better... I need to make grass for a race track cake I am making this week and I really need this tip to work!!!! haha

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 12:56am
post #7 of 8

Strain that icing before using it.
Use a knee hi stocking (new, clean); put it on your hand like a glove and fill your palm w/icing. Peel the stocking off your hand enclosing the icing and push it down and out.
Now it won't clog that tip icon_smile.gif

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 13 Feb 2012 , 4:16am
post #8 of 8

I spent over an hour covering a monster cake with fur this week. To get it to stand up my icing was thick! I had to unclog it twice & just dropped it in a coffee mug filled with warm water for a few seconds - worked perfectly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%