Tappits Vs Clicksticks

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 27 Jan 2012 , 10:31pm by sugarshack

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 3:53am
post #1 of 9

I have heard/read mixed reviews on the tappits, most unfavorable. Which do most ccers prefer and why? Is there something out there that rivals both tappits and clicksticks? If so I would sure like to hear about it? Thanks to all who answer icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 4:05am
post #2 of 9
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 9:43am
post #3 of 9

I use both because I like using different fonts. I'm not looking it up, but ig you google Edna's youtube video, she does the exact opposite from the directions that come with the tappits. Applying her method to both tappits and click stix will give you great results.

But I also still hate both. I charge .50 a letter and still cringe when someone orders them. They still take time even when they are made properly.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:32am
post #4 of 9

They take me no time at all. I roll out my gumpaste extra thin on my ultra clean kitchen counter but first put down a very thin layer of solid white fat (Crisco). Then I put a little Crisco on my fingers and bless the top of the paste with it. This way the letters stay stuck to the counter and don't stick to the tappits. I also grab one stick at a time and go through the phrase I'm cutting out (in my mind), using all the letters on that stick in my hand to cut out necessary letters from that one stick before moving on to the next stick. Saves fussing around looking through each stick for letters. I can press out a happy birthday message in under a minute. I usually leave the letters on the counter for a couple minutes to harden slightly before removing.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:51am
post #5 of 9

I didn't like Edna's method, I use the same method as Lorraine McKay

I've never used the clickstix so can't help you with that.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 9

Never used the Tappits, but I love my Clickstix. They come out of the molds perfectly, and there are several fonts to choose from. I run my fondant/tylose through my pasta machine, cut it small squares, and press out the letters. Easy peasy.

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 9

Wow...thanks for all the feedback! Since I've never worked with either I've decided to purchase both and then decide which ones I like best. I'm also going to try both Edna's and Lorraine's methods. I'll post my results when I'm done. Thanks again!!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 3:58pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

Never used the Tappits, but I love my Clickstix. They come out of the molds perfectly, and there are several fonts to choose from. I run my fondant/tylose through my pasta machine, cut it small squares, and press out the letters. Easy peasy.

I use the same method as poohsmomma. If my fondant is not cooperative for whatever reason after I press the fondant, I pop the clickstick in the freezer for a couple of minutes and it pops out. Works every time.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 9

i love tappits. fondant with tylose, rolled thin, let it sit 15-20 minutes. then press and tap; they come right out. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%