Crusty Cake Top

Baking By yellowrosie Updated 22 Dec 2011 , 8:42pm by yellowrosie

yellowrosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowrosie Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 4:32am
post #1 of 6

why does the top of my cakes get hard and "crusty" befor the middle is done? Is this typical?

5 replies
Rach82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach82 Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 11:21am
post #2 of 6

Hi

Just a thought as I'm new to all this, but could it be that your oven is too hot, making the top cook before the middle is done?

HTH
Rach

yellowrosie Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 6

That's what I was thinking so this morning I'm baking again but turning the temp down....looks good so far.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 6

Purchase an oven thermometer. You can get them at Walmart. Also you may need to adjust your baking rack lower as well.

My top oven runs 25 degrees cooler than the set temp so I always have to set it higher than my bottom oven. Also watch the temp over time. If your oven is inconsistent you get weird baking patterns as well.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 6

Yup your oven must be old because it sounds like the top (broiler) element is turning on and getting hotter than the bottom element. To keep the top nice and moist after the cake comes out of the oven either turn it over to cool with the pan still on it or take a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and cover the hot pan with it. All evaporation will stay inside the cake and not floating around in your kitchen and the top will stay moist.

yellowrosie Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the great tips! The cake I baked this morning was much better. I think I overbaked the other one. Thanks so much for replying. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%