Decorating By costumeczar Updated 14 Nov 2011 , 1:58pm by costumeczar

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 1:36am
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Okay, now that the thread is back where it should be the offendedness is in the backseat and the weird is coming out, hahahaha! Good to know that I'm not the only one with strange food habits!

I blot my pizza too, if it's too greasy!

Oh I am totally offended again. My food habits are NOT strange...though I do blot my pizza, but for the most part, I don't even like pizza, but will eat it, cause it saves me from cooking dinner. thumbs_up.gif

If you make your own pizza it's not as greasy. I"m offended that you buy pizza and don't make it from scratch every time! I'm also offended that you're offended.

FabricGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabricGal Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 2:08am
post #32 of 64

Hi, Kara,

I'm kinda new here and didn't realize you used a different name. Please accept my apologies! Thanks to mommachris for pointing that out to me! (OTOH, speaking in the third person IS good practice if one will be Queen someday! lolam)

As for the buttercream frosting, I don't use Crisco at all in my frostings. To me, using Crisco begs the question of using the words "butter" and "cream" if Crisco is the primary ingredient--that's just my opinion that if you're using Crisco, in that way, in your frosting, you're doing it wrong.

I know it's popular and Crisco DOES have a place in cooking and baking and, humorously, in making Calvin's hair stick up for his school pictures in the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip.

I apologize to anyone who took offense at my strong personal opinion. It was not directed as a personal attack or criticism, but I can understand how my strong wording might have been offensive. I'll try to be more circumspect before posting something that might be inflammatory or hurtful! Mea culpa.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 2:18am
post #33 of 64

I HATE, just HATE ribs. Hate them. My husband insists on buying and cooking them (badly, I might add) and I just hate them. What a waist of time cooking for zero reward. Sure, I've had decent tasting ones, but I eat them with a fork... the whole time wondering what the big deal it. I also can't eat fruit without cutting it first, like apples or peaches. I have to cut them into wedges and get seeds/pit out before eating. I love me some fresh crab, but I'll be darned if I'm going to spend time prying the meat from the shell and a big hell no am I going to wear a bib in public. No way.

costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 2:51am
post #34 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricGal

Hi, Kara,

I'm kinda new here and didn't realize you used a different name. Please accept my apologies! Thanks to mommachris for pointing that out to me! (OTOH, speaking in the third person IS good practice if one will be Queen someday! lolam)

As for the buttercream frosting, I don't use Crisco at all in my frostings. To me, using Crisco begs the question of using the words "butter" and "cream" if Crisco is the primary ingredient--that's just my opinion that if you're using Crisco, in that way, in your frosting, you're doing it wrong.

I know it's popular and Crisco DOES have a place in cooking and baking and, humorously, in making Calvin's hair stick up for his school pictures in the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip.

I apologize to anyone who took offense at my strong personal opinion. It was not directed as a personal attack or criticism, but I can understand how my strong wording might have been offensive. I'll try to be more circumspect before posting something that might be inflammatory or hurtful! Mea culpa.

No worries, I just thought it was kind of strange that it suddenly went to the third person. If you think that was offensive and inflammatory you really haven't been on here very long, haha! Just never post anything about whether cake mixes are better than scratch or you'll incur the wrath of Betty Crocker.

And seriously, go look at some of the icing recipes on here. You can feel how greasy some of them are just by reading the recipe.

costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 2:52am
post #35 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

What a waist of time cooking for zero reward. .

Yesssss.....

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 10:58am
post #36 of 64

Yeah, I'm not a fan of ribs either-there's something about eating meat off the bone that really skeeves me out. I think it reminds me of being a zombie, especially with all the gore and sauce that ends up all over your face and hands LOL.

And while we're at it, ground turkey burger turns me off too. Looks like brains, LOL.

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 12:19pm
post #37 of 64

This thread has went in a hundred directions...lol.... but Diversity compliments...sameness is dangerous <3 by the way I make real butter Buttercream and it is dangerously delicious!! and I do love a wasc cake icon_wink.gif on occasion but I love a scratch cake too! I do not enjoy many processed sweets but people I love do icon_wink.gif My husband likes Oreos and dark chocolate..I dont like Oreos because they taste greasy to me and dark chocolate is bitter in my oppinion, in fact I dont like chocolate very much at all but I still love my husband and buy them for him! My daughter likes potato chips but I dont but I still buy those for her as well...I am far from a food purist but I try to eat healthy...not always though and thats ok in moderation...As for me I am so grateful for all the different ideas, opinions and tastes in this world it makes life interesting! One of my favorite shows is Chopped on the food network but you think I would eat every thing they prepare on that show...no way!!! but I love the creativity and the uniqueness that each Chef can bring to a dish with the same ingredients but completely different techniques and additives that result in a variety of dishes in the end result of the final product ...That is part of what makes that show so interesting to me icon_smile.gif I like to embrace diversity icon_smile.gif and thats a good thing because if my feelings and tastes dictated everthing there wouldnt be much chocolate and that would be cruel to the chocolate lovers esp those in my own family !!! Diversity Rules icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 2:00pm
post #38 of 64

[quote="FromScratchSF"]I HATE, just HATE ribs. Hate them. My husband insists on buying and cooking them (badly, I might add) and I just hate them. What a waist of time cooking for zero reward.

Okay, so now am I not only offended, I feel discrimated against. You can't just say ribs are not worth it, cause there are people on here who may get offended and who like ribs and you just don't know how much that may hurt some ones feelings. I mean we all don't have to dislike ribs, cause you guys find them to be a waist of time. That really hurts and makes me feel left out and like you have no sensitivity. And we know how to cook them in my household. BABY BACKS FOREVER!

I still don't like pizza.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 2:32pm
post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I hate buffalo wings too. I never understood all that work for such a small reward.

We only eat the wings because it would be uncouth to eat the sauce out of a bucket with a spoon.

FromScratchSF Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:02pm
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I hate buffalo wings too. I never understood all that work for such a small reward.

We only eat the wings because it would be uncouth to eat the sauce out of a bucket with a spoon.

I guess you can get away with just about anything when you are pregnant because I had a thing for hot wing sauce my 1st trimester. Not the wings... chicken made me gag... but the sauce was another story all together. All I wanted was a pail of it with a loaf of french bread, and I only wanted the bread as a platform to get the sauce in my mouth in a civilized manner.

I actually ordered a cup of sauce at Cheesecake Factory. Waiter says, you mean buffalo wings? I'm like, no, just the sauce, NO chicken please. Anything else? He asks. No, just the sauce. LOL

FromScratchSF Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:08pm
post #41 of 64

[quote="QTCakes1"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I HATE, just HATE ribs. Hate them. My husband insists on buying and cooking them (badly, I might add) and I just hate them. What a waist of time cooking for zero reward.

Okay, so now am I not only offended, I feel discrimated against. You can't just say ribs are not worth it, cause there are people on here who may get offended and who like ribs and you just don't know how much that may hurt some ones feelings. I mean we all don't have to dislike ribs, cause you guys find them to be a waist of time. That really hurts and makes me feel left out and like you have no sensitivity. And we know how to cook them in my household. BABY BACKS FOREVER!

I still don't like pizza.

You are just a big meanie, I don't understand why you are so RUDE I'm going to take this to another level if you continue to be so RUDE your cakes must be terrible and I'd never buy one from you how dare you say that I have an OPINION and it is WRONG and you are RIGHT when I am RIGHT because my mom says my cake is the best she ever had and you must be a miserable person because you don't like PIZZA do you have a problem with ITALIANS because I know an ITALIAN and they are really nice people but you are RUDE.

I keed, because I love. icon_lol.gif

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:11pm
post #42 of 64

I feel the same way about barbequed ribs. . . . the ribs are only a vehicle, anything with more meat on it would fill me up too fast and result in reduced sauce consumption. Mmmmmm french bread and wing sauce. . . neutral enough in flavor not to interfere with the flavor of the sauce and easily manipulated to clean up every drop of saucy goodness. . . . . works for me!

QTCakes1 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:13pm
post #43 of 64

[quote="You are just a big meanie, I don't understand why you are so RUDE I'm going to take this to another level if you continue to be so RUDE your cakes must be terrible and I'd never buy one from you how dare you say that I have an OPINION and it is WRONG and you are RIGHT when I am RIGHT because my mom says my cake is the best she ever had and you must be a miserable person because you don't like PIZZA do you have a problem with ITALIANS because I know an ITALIAN and they are really nice people but you are RUDE.

I keed, because I love. icon_lol.gif[/quote]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Gosh, so many people probably hate us all now. icon_sad.gif

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:16pm
post #44 of 64

Have you read the ingredients of fondant lately?? icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif
Not to mention pepperoni!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:20pm
post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Not to mention pepperoni!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Uh, no. And I never will. I want to keep eating my pepperoni! icon_biggrin.gif

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:21pm
post #46 of 64

after reading this whole thread, OMG I am so in the mood of chips and oreos in one bite. this second! icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 9 Nov 2011 , 3:46pm
post #47 of 64

I'm not ashamed that I broke into the bag of Oreo pieces I bought for decorating Halloween cupcakes last night. That's probably pretty sad, that I was eating little pieces of Oreo. It's this thread's fault.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 1:25pm
post #48 of 64

I can understand the "will not eat" foods. I HATE peas! I surprised a waiter once by asking how many peas I could expect in my chicken pot pie, because I wanted an idea of how long it was going to take me to pick them all out. Nasty things! I have a cousin who can't stand CoolWhip, and her brother won't eat anything with chese in it. Try ordering pizza without cheese and watch the looks you get!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 10 Nov 2011 , 9:18pm
post #49 of 64

I won't go so far as to say your responses were funny, but I was amused. And part of that is because of how different people can be.

I'm horrible about processed foods and junk food in general. I grew up on home-cooked meals until my brothers moved out of the house when I was 14. I got my first job at 15, at a fast-food joint and my mom stopped cooking.

My love for horribly-bad-for-you food really got going there. I'd get 50% off my food at work (Popeyes, in case anyone was curious) and I would buy the junk food at school with my own money. Since my mom stopped cooking dinner, I'd walk the 7 minutes to Long John Silver or the 12 minutes to Burger King from my parent's house. When I got a car, it got worse.

But back to why I was amused...I was amused because it really takes strength of character to stick up for what you believe in when it comes to purity of food in a country that spends its time making it as unhealthy as it can. Processing natural foods in unnatural ways. I admire that about you, as I sit here and drool thinking of oreos and chips, since I'm on a diet. lol While reading your distaste and dislike of all those foods, all I could think about was how much I really wanted to eat those foods. My vanilla icing is Crisco-based and I would love to just eat a huge spoonful or two right now.

So while I get it, and admire you for it, I can't help but dive right into those foods. icon_wink.gif

Btw, one way to reduce crumbs on a cupcake is to break or cut the cupcake in half horizontally, flip the top over and create a sandwich. icon_wink.gif Also prevents the icing from falling off and the cupcake from falling over.

costumeczar Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 1:33am
post #50 of 64

For some reason this thread disappeared from my watch list for two days, but I found it again, hahaha!

I make my own fondant so it's not as nasty as commercial stuff.

I actually wrote a blog entry a while ago about putting chips on chocolate cookies to keep other people from eating them. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2011/05/how-to-keep-your-family-from-eating-all.html

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 2:06am
post #51 of 64

I absolutely LOVE this: "When people tell me how much they love this or that grocery store's cakes, I cringe inside because I've read the labels, and I know that it's a butter and milk-free cake mix that's baked God knows when, and frozen for God knows how long. ...if you see the giant tubs of shortening-based icing that they use, or the sleeves of chemical fillings that bear no resemblance to real food that they put in their products, it's an eye-opener. If you're going to eat a dessert, make it real butter, eggs, flour and sugar, not a big bag of chemicals."

Finally somebody is saying this to the public! My family and I went as chemical and preservative free as possible earlier this year and it has made such a huge difference in how I feel. I won't ever go back! Of course that means I have to find good scratch cupcake recipes, because I'm a cupcake lover... But that's a different story.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 2:53am
post #52 of 64

I'm a food purist too. I make my own puff pastry and pasta... hand crush tomatoes for sauces... make my own cheese on occasion... the whole 9... but I still love me some cheetos once in a while... I bet that makes Kara cringe just thinking about bright orange cheese-esque powder stained fingers.

We all eat bad for you things once in a while... if we didn't we'd go mad. For the record I love ribs, wings, chips, fruit roll ups (but only the strawberry kind), nasty from the jar queso dip... but not oreos... blech!... and I definitely don't like cupcakes... making them or eating them. Doesn't mean I can't see the beauty in a well executed cupcake... I just would rather not make them. Hell... I don't even truly enjoy eating cake. It's a good thing, because if I did I'd be a 10 ton heffalump by now. I make great cakes, but I'd rather eat marinated artichoke hearts and various wonderful charcuterie than a slice of cake.

You want to rock the cupcake world... go on with yo' bad self. icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 11 Nov 2011 , 11:55am
post #53 of 64

Cheetos I can understand once in a while, but the cheese residue that they leave on your fingrs is like permanent crumbs, so THAT sends a shiver down my spine *shudder*

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 7:34am
post #54 of 64

At my house the kids eat their Cheetoes with a toothpick.
No muss..no fuss.

mommchris

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 11:11am
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

At my house the kids eat their Cheetoes with a toothpick.
No muss..no fuss.

mommchris

I think I'm gonna have to try that at my house. icon_biggrin.gif

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 4:26pm
post #56 of 64

Ha ha! It is SO nice to see a thread which is clearly fuelled by a good old sense of humour icon_smile.gif

I can't say I'm particuarly 'anti' any food so long as it tastes good, but I do agree that using the term BUTTERcream for a shortening based frosting is a bit of a weird one icon_confused.gif

Nellical Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nellical Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 5:11pm
post #57 of 64

Great article! I think we too are sisters separated at birth, except for the Oreos things. Bleck for me! We bring home any leftover pastries from our bakery and have cream puffs, great pie, croissants, or cheesecake slices whenever they are leftover. All made from scratch.

I love the observation of not putting Crisco on toast! I am going to borrow that one.

My big snack is popcorn, made fresh in a Presto One Pop microwavable popper. Topped with Plugra butter, bien sur!

- Haha! Had to edit. I had said cheesecake twice. Bakery Freudian slip perhaps?

costumeczar Posted 13 Nov 2011 , 11:05pm
post #58 of 64

Oooh, now I want popcorn! I'll make some to eat while we watch Once Upon A Time tonight since it looks like our man Robert Carlyle will play a main role in the episode.

I was talking to my friend who was challenging me on what I meant by guilty pleasure, and she said that a box of dark chocolate is also a guilty pleasure. I deny that and told her that I'd eat dark chocolate and good pastries with no guilt whatsoever. I ended up writing another blog entry clarifying my personal definition of "guilty" since it seems to be confusing. If I remember correctly I scheduled it for tomorrow to get it out of hte way!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 3:13am
post #59 of 64

I really don't like doing cup cakes at all but I have found ways to make them as quickly as possible. I thought I was the only person in the whole world that hated Oreos and I refuse to eat wings due to the fact there is no meat on them.

I bake from doctored mixes but bought "the cake bible" so I am going to try baking her way.

costumeczar Posted 14 Nov 2011 , 3:23am
post #60 of 64

I love the cake Bible as a reference, but ignore her complicated baking powder theory in the back section. I think that she calls it the "rose factor." Way too fussy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%