It Isn't 2 Inches?

Baking By MonkeysMom88 Updated 11 Oct 2011 , 3:21pm by TexasSugar

MonkeysMom88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MonkeysMom88 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:13am
post #1 of 15

I have a cake mix and when I mixed it and all that I poured it into the 2 inch deep cake pan and it didn't even cover half. Is this normal? Are there cake brands that make 2 inches without buying 5 boxes? If not, are there delicious cake recipes you recommend? Chocolate or vanilla.

14 replies
ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:32am
post #2 of 15

What brand of cake mix did you use? Betty Crocker has made their mixes with less product than it used to be. They say that it will still make the same amount of cake. lol

MonkeysMom88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MonkeysMom88 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 2:42am
post #3 of 15

I used pillsbury moisture and obviously I'm a newbie haha because I forgot that when you bake it it rises (brain fart). It's still a bit short though. It's maybe 1 inch or a little more thick. If there is a cake mix that tastes good and is thicker I'd love if someone shared it. I like Duncan Hines and I've never tried their cake mix, maybe theirs bakes up thicker.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 8:32am
post #4 of 15

What sized tin did you use? Obviously that makes a difference but sorry I dont use cake mixes so can't help with other brands/thickness.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 10:30am
post #5 of 15

I use Pillsbury regularly and I found one box makes about 4 1/2 cups of batter. The amounts I use to get pretty darned close to 2" layers are:

Two 6" rounds = 1 box
Two 8" rounds = 2 boxes
Two 10" rounds = 3 boxes
Two 12" rounds = 4 boxes

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 15

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

This is a great guide to how much batter you need per pan.

DH cake mixes make between 5 and 6 cups of batter, depending on the flavor. The white is closer to 5, chocolate in the middle and the golden butter makes 6.

Phils makes between 4 and 5 cups of batter, again white seems to be the lesser, chocolate in the middle.

In the past BC would make 4-5, but I'm not sure with the change over of the mixes. I have only used the smaller box for one of the chocolates, but I want to say it made 4.5 cups of batter (I have it written down at home.)

The back of the boxes lie. icon_smile.gif I mean the amounts split between two pans is fine for a cake at home, but if you are going for a pretty full two in tall cake, you need to use more cake mix than they tell you to on the back of the boxes.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

The back of the boxes lie. icon_smile.gif I mean the amounts split between two pans is fine for a cake at home, but if you are going for a pretty full two inch tall cake, you need to use more cake mix than they tell you to on the back of the boxes.

Ditto to Texas Sugar. I personally just eyeball each pan I fill and fill it a minimum of 1/2 way. Sometimes this means you end up with left over batter, so I make cupcakes or a smaller cake to use up the leftovers. I use doctored Duncan Hines recipes almost exclusively and DH provides a pretty consistent 5 cups of batter per mix (some variations depending on cake type). I prefer Duncan Hines because I can choose whether or not I want pudding added to my recipe.

I will not purchase Betty Crocker again since they were sneaky and reduced their mix sizes.

If you want some wonderful recipes, go to this site:

http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/

then purchase her 1st book: The Cake Mix Doctor

You will NOT be sorry--this is a must-have book for every baker.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

The back of the boxes lie. icon_smile.gif I mean the amounts split between two pans is fine for a cake at home, but if you are going for a pretty full two inch tall cake, you need to use more cake mix than they tell you to on the back of the boxes.

Ditto to Texas Sugar. I personally just eyeball each pan I fill and fill it a minimum of 1/2 way. Sometimes this means you end up with left over batter, so I make cupcakes or a smaller cake to use up the leftovers. I use doctored Duncan Hines recipes almost exclusively and DH provides a pretty consistent 5 cups of batter per mix (some variations depending on cake type). I prefer Duncan Hines because I can choose whether or not I want pudding added to my recipe.

I will not purchase Betty Crocker again since they were sneaky and reduced their mix sizes.

If you want some wonderful recipes, go to this site:

http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/

then purchase her 1st book: The Cake Mix Doctor

You will NOT be sorry--this is a must-have book for every baker.

Are these cakes strong enough to stack?

TexasSugar Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 15

I've only ever used cake mixes and haven't had any problems carving or stacking cakes.

When it comes to stacking, it is your support system that is holding up the cake, not the cakes themselves.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 15

Texas Sugar thanks for responding. Do you kow how many cups of batter does the WASC recipe make? The one that takes 2 boxes of cake mix and the extras. Also do you use DH?

TexasSugar Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 15

I've been using BC for a while now but use to use DH.

I usually do a singular recipe of the extender (wasc but using one cake mix) and it makes about 2 extra cups of batter. So with the WASC I'd say around 4 cups of extra batter, which would give you about 14 cups of batter when you start with the DH mix.

jesika3434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesika3434 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 9:06pm
post #12 of 15

Texas sugar: To carve cakes you use cake mix boxes? Ive tried it once before with no luck, any tips?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesika3434

Texas sugar: To carve cakes you use cake mix boxes? Ive tried it once before with no luck, any tips?

Not TexasSugar, but this might help. icon_smile.gif

Secrets of Cake Carving:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-59361-.html

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 15

You still have not told us what size your pan was so we cannot help you further.

Up until they downsized the amount of mix in box - one Betty Crocker cake mix would make enough batter for :
1 10" round OR
1 8" sq OR
1 of most Wilton shaped pans - like the shell, or horseshoe or sponge bob - those kind....
OR 1 sheet pan 12"x8"
I have not baked since the change in the amount of product in the boxes.
I have also used both Pillsbury and Duncan Hines but much prefere Betty Crocker.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesika3434

I do. Sometimes they are doctored, some times they are not. I have learned that nuts and coconuts in the mixes don't carve nicely.

I use a bread knife or another serrated knife and have never frozen before carving (don't have the freezer space to do it). I also like to start with shapes that are similar to what I am making, that way I have a basic shape to work off up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%