What Kind Of Wire Do You Use On Cakes?

Decorating By sue_dye Updated 28 Feb 2005 , 4:52pm by cakemommy

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 7

I would like to know what kind of wire that is safe to use, do you have to cover the end that is inserted in to the cake? icon_confused.gif

6 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 7

You don't insert the wire directly into the cake. Insert a straw into the cake and then insert the wire into the straw. You can fill the straw with fondant or royal icing or something similar to keep the wire in place within the straw. you can also use the stir type straws that are smaller in diameter if you want.

Debbie

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 7

Some people also use the those little beakers (sp?) if you are inserting a spray that would be too thick for a straw.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 7

If you are using wire, always remember to wrap it in floral tape. You can get a roll of green or white floral tape at Walmart for under a buck. Floral tape is water proof and grease proof. And when wrapping wires pull the tape so that it is stretched a little, this helps the tape stick to the wire and to itself. (A little tip that I learned in floral design class.)

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 26 Feb 2005 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 7

I want to thank ever one for answering my question thumbs_up.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 7

Uh, hhmn, you aren't really supposed to insert the floral tape directly into cake either. For one thing, it can come off when you insert the flowers and for another, there are mixed views on the safety of the dyes used and the material itself as to whether or not it is food safe. You need to completely seal this taped wire in plastic or foil or the little floral beakers or the fresh flower spikes as Dawn suggested or something else food safe like the straws as suggested. Or you can do your flowers on round edged toothpicks or wooden shishkabob skewers or chopsticks.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 7

So I figured out we're all talking about inserting flowers into cakes here. Great ideas for when I do a cake with handmade flowers!!! Thanks for the great tips! I knew I loved these forums!

Amy thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%