5.6.11 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 8 May 2011 , 4:12am by Crazboutcakes

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 7 May 2011 , 3:57am
post #31 of 48

I would kill right now for a 20 qt mixer. I keep running out of icing!! And it's IMBC to boot! icon_mad.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:02am
post #32 of 48

Thanks, Leah! It's back to the kitchen for me. I'm making a princess castle so I think I'll put on Sleeping Beauty to keep me going.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:03am
post #33 of 48

Well, finished half of the margarita. Have to wait for it to dry and will do the rest tomorrow. Can't wait it put this cake together... it's gonna be so colorful and sparkly!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:12am
post #34 of 48

so uninspired to do my cousin's 10& 13 YO girl's birthday cake for tomorrow. It was one of the crappy family things where she is invoking the 'free family cake' rule, even though I told her it doesn't apply now that this is my business. She even had her youngest call and ask for a fairy cake i've recently done four days ago. But still, she considers this akin to charging me for her brining mashed potatoes to thanksgiving. icon_confused.gif I'd tell her to stick it, but i don't want to disappoint the girls, who are having their first real 'invite some friends' party of their lives. I want them to feel special with a nice cake--though not fondant figure special. I do want to sleep tonight. So it's gonna be the basic, girly, flowers and polka dots on buttercream in their favorite colors of blue and purple. wish i wasn't so meh about it.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:12am
post #35 of 48

Mother's Day 'Basket of Flowers' cake. I've been on a self-imposed cake break for the past little while - I needed the break. I'm back in the saddle, but I still find that I'm a slow worker and spend way too much time on everything. Being a perfectionist is time consuming for me. I find that I re-do stuff that i don't like all the time.

This is the reason why I will not go into business.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:13am
post #36 of 48

I finally get to rest after 3 cakes at work this week. I had a twelve hour day today so I'll be relaxing... icon_biggrin.gif

I'm about to post pictures, let me know what you guys think

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:20am
post #37 of 48

Motta, my 20 qt Hobart is the best tool I ever bought. Of course I also say that about Magic Line pans and my Agbay . . .

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:32am
post #38 of 48

Sweet Pea, the cakes are gorgeous...particularly like the newest one!

Cat

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 7 May 2011 , 4:38am
post #39 of 48

Thanks so much Cat!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:25am
post #40 of 48

It worked! Woo hoo! Both cakes are fondanted and are lovely! I'm sipping an iced coffee now hoping for the energy to do the fun part- the decorating. Thanks again for all the help!

tsal- I'm the same way, but not because of perfectionism. I'm trying to perfect stuff instead of saying, "Oh well" and moving on. Oh well is no way to run a business. lol

Lorieleann- it always help me to think/meditate/pray for the recipient when I'm making something for them. It kind of peeves me when I have to make something for someone I'm unhappy with because I know that by the time it's made, I'll give up my hard feelings. icon_smile.gif

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:39am
post #41 of 48

WHOOHOOO!!!! I am actually done at a decent hour tonight!!!! Of course I have been working on the cake since 10am and it is now 10pm. 12 hours, not too bad right?!?!? Oh well. I am actually really happy with this one. Wish the cakeball - bingo balls were a little smoother, but it will have to do. Man, I could never do this as a business, I wouldn't ever turn a profit!!! How it is time to relax with a tall, cold glass of wine and wait for my hubby to get home.

Happy Caking!!!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 7 May 2011 , 5:43am
post #42 of 48

I just realized, this is kind of a bitter sweet moment for me. This is my last cake that I will be doing for quite some time. I decided to take an extended vacation from Cakeland in order to spend more in "me"land. It is back to the gym and reading for me, that is when I am not stuck in mommyland.

medusas_touch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medusas_touch Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:05am
post #43 of 48

I just finished a two tier cake (my first) for my daughters birthday. Was supposed to be a Count Von Count cake but had to change it at the last minute because my partner won't be here then. So now its a Tatty Teddy cake. Oh and I made triple choc peanut butter truffles. They turned out super rich and are oh so nice =D

1Cake-At-ATime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1Cake-At-ATime Posted 7 May 2011 , 7:34pm
post #44 of 48

This week was my busiest cake week ever....three cake in one week! I'm so tired and it doesn't help that I have to bake after putting in 40 hours at work. I am very thankful that my husband helps with the cooking and other housework.

My Agbay was the one tool that definitely saved me a headache and a few curse words. Glad I made that purchase sooner rather than later. Also, the little Germany cake decorating supply store located 1.5 hours away, saved my fondant hid.

Note to self - If the customer orders a cake full of roses, preorder fondant roses rather than hand make them. Ordering could have saved me 8 hours of cutting, wrapping and molding.

Sincerely,
Need to Quit My Day Job

1Cake-At-ATime Posted 7 May 2011 , 7:36pm
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Motta, my 20 qt Hobart is the best tool I ever bought. Of course I also say that about Magic Line pans and my Agbay . . .

**jealously happy for you**

The Hobart is my big fish!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:03pm
post #46 of 48

1Cake, I quit making flowers years ago. Definitely NOT worth the time. You can buy gorgeous flowers for cheap. I airbrush whatever color I need them to be, so my inventory is primarily white flowers. I purchase primarily from www.avalondecocom

I bought my Hobart used. Hobarts have at least 9 lives.

1Cake-At-ATime Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:25pm
post #47 of 48

leah_S - thanks for the info! I will be taking a look at that website.

I'm on ebay now (lol) looking at some used Hobarts and I'm really considering biting the bullet and getting an older one. I don't think I can overlook one that's priced under $500.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 8 May 2011 , 4:12am
post #48 of 48

The finished product, let me know what you think!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2026971

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%