Help W/instructions For This Cake

Decorating By Cosima Updated 5 May 2011 , 1:46am by genevieveyum

Cosima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cosima Posted 3 May 2011 , 12:15am
post #1 of 8

I have an 11 year old that has chosen this cake as her birthday cake. I YI YI YI YI! http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1482455

Does anyone have any idea what or how they made the waves on this cake? I don't think it's fondant cause it looks like that would just break. How do you guys thinks this is made?

Also I'd like to use some candies for this cake. Anyone have any good candy sources for items such as these?

Your input would be great appreciated on both.

Thank you
Suz

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 3 May 2011 , 12:34am
post #2 of 8

I saw this cake at the show, its stunning.

I think the waves are gumpaste accented with royal icing. I think.

Not sure what you mean by candies....pre made fish type candy? Not sure where you'd get those......

MissCuteCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCuteCupcakes Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 8

i may be wrong but it looks like they took strips of fondant, the width of each cake layer, and wrapped it around each cake then cut strips going vertically to make the water tides.

then maybe after each cake layer, they want back and stuck more strips of fondant in and decorated it

Cosima Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cosima Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzCuteCupcakes

i may be wrong but it looks like they took strips of fondant, the width of each cake layer, and wrapped it around each cake then cut strips going vertically to make the water tides.

then maybe after each cake layer, they want back and stuck more strips of fondant in and decorated it

Don't you think fondant would be heavy for waves and can gravitate down to where the came could rip apart? Fondant is heaver then gum past, correct? I've worked with fondant but not gum paste so I'm trying to figure what would be easier.

Was thinking of covering cake in fondant first then attach gum paste waves. What do you guys think?

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 8

It looks to me like covering the cake first and then attaching panels would be a good idea. I think the waves could be made as separate panels a few inches wide and the height of the tier. they could be dried draped over a pvc tube to get that shape and then piped with RI to get the foaminess of the waves. Then just assemble with a little more RI. I may actually have to try this sometime!

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:31pm
post #6 of 8

Mixing 1 teaspoon of Gum-Tex into 8 oz. of fondant will give the fondant a stiffer consistency.
I agree with MzCuteCupcakes it looks like they cut strips. But I think I would cut the strips 2-4" wide (depending on size of cake) and taller than the cake, lay them flat and curl the tops back over flower formers or something similar until dry- 1-2 days depending on thickness. After applied to the cake cover the seams with frosting decorations. Happy Decorating.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 8

If you look carefully at the 5th row of waves down from the top you can easily see that there are 6 or 7 wave panels encircling the tier. Going up from there, it seems to be from 5 to 7 around each of those tiers so each pannel gradually get 'thinner' as the tiers get smaller going up. For the bottom tiers, it appears they get wider as there seems to be 10 or 12 round the 2 lowest tier.

This surely is to be a lobor of love! Quite an undertaking icon_smile.gif

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 5 May 2011 , 1:46am
post #8 of 8

I just did a cake with a tier that had billowing on it- that took FOREVER! This actually looks a little less intense icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%