Can I Pipe Hydrangeas With This Frosting?

Decorating By tal Updated 2 May 2011 , 10:13pm by Rose_N_Crantz

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 2 May 2011 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 4

I need to pipe hydrangeas on a pistachio cake, but the client wants the icing verylight, whipped, using cool whip.

Is there such a recipe that is light but yet can be used to pipe flower petals? I am supposed to make the cake this week!!!

Thank you!

Lisa

3 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 May 2011 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know that you can pipe colors on an icing like that.... I have stayed away from that because I had a whipped topping that I applied black fondant to and... OMG.. they slid right off the cake and also left black stains in the icing... IT WAS HORRIBLE!! So I am a little gunshy!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 2 May 2011 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 4

You can't pipe flowers with Cool Whip, but you can with non-dairy whipped topping like bettercream from Sam's and similar products from other suppliers. (some of the products are sold in a liquid which you whip.)

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 2 May 2011 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 4

I second the Bettercream. Some cake shops might sell it unwhipped, or you can get a whole bucket of prewhipped from Sam's as was suggested. I would prefer getting a carton unwhipped personally though.

I work with that stuff almost everyday, it'll pipe just fine as long as you keep it chilled. Once the cake is done, it can sit out for 5 days unrefrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%