Review - Babycakes Cake Pop Maker

Baking By FromScratchSF Updated 13 May 2012 , 1:40am by unctoothlady

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 28 May 2011 , 3:59pm
post #181 of 241

Jen I melted chocolate and butter last night and it seized. I assumed it seized because of the water content in the butter. But it basically made fudge instead of melting into a good dipping consistency. I've only used corn syrup for modeling chocolate so this will be interesting.

I'm definitely going to try your way. I'd love to just use real chocolate.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 28 May 2011 , 4:31pm
post #182 of 241

"i only use real chocolate - melt 8 oz bittersweet with 2 tbsp corn syrup and some butter (recipe calls for 1/4 cup but it's a little too soft, i think i ended up only using a tbsp or so). the syrup keeps it smooth and shiny, the butter keeps it from cracking. "

I will try nest time too, thank you for sharing!! icon_wink.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:44pm
post #183 of 241

Has anyone tried brownie mix in their baby cakes maker? I know it doesn't rise the same but I really want a fudgier ball.

If no one has tried it I'll bake up a batch this weekend

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 2 Jun 2011 , 4:57pm
post #184 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Has anyone tried brownie mix in their baby cakes maker? I know it doesn't rise the same but I really want a fudgier ball.

If no one has tried it I'll bake up a batch this weekend

I made brownie cake pops. I used pillsbury brownie mix and did both cake like and regular recipe. The both came out wonderful and they rose. The first time I aded a little extra batter thinking they would not rise as well and made a mess. The only bad thing with them is they get hard like the edges do when you bake a pan of brownies. I lightly brushed mine with cold coffee and let that soak in a bit before I dipped them in chocolate and they came out so good. Good Luck!!

HomemadeUpgrade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HomemadeUpgrade Posted 3 Jun 2011 , 1:27am
post #185 of 241

I have been hunting for 2 weeks for this machine. I have 3 Kohls and none of them have them in stock. *sigh* I can't wait to try these treats out. Hopefully I'll get my hands on one soon.

Olivia02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olivia02 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 3:40am
post #186 of 241

Fustrated!!! The 2 Kohls in my area are not carring the cake pop machine but the other 3 yes. I checked on their website and it doesnt come up.

GatuPR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GatuPR Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 4:23pm
post #187 of 241

I would suggest talking to the manager and ask them if they can get you one from another store.

You can also buy them directly from the company http://thebabycakesshop.com/products/cake-pop-makers/cp-12?p=6#customer-reviews
HTH

gjfarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gjfarm Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 5:34pm
post #188 of 241

Yeah--my Babycakes Pop Maker arrived from Kohl's today.

I'm so excited to try some recipes and decorating techniques. I have previously made the cake balls with the cake mix and frosting, so am anxious to try my new 'toy'. I ordered it over the internet from Kohl's as soon as I saw them back in stock on May 30th. Noticed today that they are not showing up on their website again--unbelievable is they are sold out already.

c8emae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c8emae Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:15pm
post #189 of 241

I just found this machine online yesterday and now I'm trying to hunt one down. I checked one Kohl's near me with no luck. I'm checking another tonight and if I strike out again I'm going to start calling the ones that are a little further out. It's amazing how hard these little guys are to find! I want one SOO bad!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:16am
post #190 of 241

My Kohls just got them back in and I picked one up today. They were on sale a couple of weeks ago for $19.99 and the Mgr. told me he would honor the price if they ever got them in again. So with my 15% coupon and $10 Kohls cash it cost me $6.99 icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:19am
post #191 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

My Kohls just got them back in and I picked one up today. They were on sale a couple of weeks ago for $19.99 and the Mgr. told me he would honor the price if they ever got them in again. So with my 15% coupon and $10 Kohls cash it cost me $6.99 icon_smile.gif

Tiggy2, I think you win the prize for the cheapest machine ever. I heard someone got them for $9.99. I can't believe you only paid $6.99! Let us know how it works for you.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:41am
post #192 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You win! That's money well spent!

J

tiggy2 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:42am
post #193 of 241

Hope to try it out tomorrow.

tiggy2 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:50pm
post #194 of 241

Just finished my cake pops with the babycakes pop maker and they turned out great. DH had 3 before I even got them dipped. I used the vanilla cake recipe that came with the machine but I used vanilla bean paste instead of vanilla and they taste awsome. Over filled just a little with a piping bag and they are perfectly round. Best $6.99 I ever spent!

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 8:07pm
post #195 of 241

Tiggy2: Did the vanilla cake recipe produce a dense or fluffy cake ball? I just got my machine and am trying to decide which recipe to use. Thanks!

tiggy2 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:41pm
post #196 of 241

They were denser then a cake mix but not as dense as a pound cake.

kristees_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristees_confections Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:10am
post #197 of 241

I just made my second batch of pops. I bought one of the large condiment bottles that you can use to squeeze out melted chocolate and cut the hole bigger. It was perfect to squeeze the batter out. No mess!!! I <3 my babycake!

imagenthatnj Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:34am
post #198 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristees_confections

I just made my second batch of pops. I bought one of the large condiment bottles that you can use to squeeze out melted chocolate and cut the hole bigger. It was perfect to squeeze the batter out. No mess!!! I <3 my babycake!

And you got something that kind of looks like this? I have this and haven't used it. I thought it would be useful for something.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/pancake-batter-dispenser-pen/?pkey=e%7Cbatter%2Bpen%7C7%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C6&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

Babycakes machine had not been invented yet when I bought this pen.

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:50am
post #199 of 241

Tiggy2: Thanks for the info...that sounds like what I'm looking for. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

thecakeblog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeblog Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 10:14pm
post #200 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I don't like the texture of cake balls, it reminds me of chewed-up cake on a stick.

LOL! I completely agree... I'm not a fan of the original cake ball texture either. icon_wink.gif Great review! Thanks for sharing!

aces413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aces413 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 2:23am
post #201 of 241

First impression: LOVE THIS THING!

I tried cake pops a few months ago, the "old fashioned way" icon_razz.gif ...and I hated them. Not a fan of the mushy cake/frosting mess. I tried them today with the Babycakes machine, and I LOVE them. The pop maker made almost-perfect little spheres, and it was SO fast and easy.

How I used it: I let them cool, then used a bismark tip and filled some with mint buttercream, some with peanut butter buttercream, and some with marshmallow Fluff. I stuck the pop sticks in the hole that the bismark tip left, then froze them for about 20 minutes.
Then I melted some candy melts, and figured out that candy melts and I don't get along. I used both Wilton and Guittard, and I couldn't get them to melt well enough (they always got too thick, even after I added shortening to solve that problem). Anyway, I got much better results with plain melted chocolate over a double boiler.
Mint got drizzled with melted mint chips, peanut butter got dipped in crushed Reese's, and marshmallow got dipped in graham cracker crumbs and topped with a mini marshmallow...and then became S'mores pops. icon_wink.gif

Point is: This machine made the process much easier, and I liked the results better. I do wish it came with more of the pop stands, because I made 24 pops, in 3 different flavors, so I had 3 batches. It would've been better if I had more stands so I could put each batch on it's own stand and freeze, dip + cool separately. Oh well, I can always get some foam.

Yay!

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 3:00am
post #202 of 241

I bought mine a while ago and tried it out, but didn't have good luck. I overfilled, but the batter spilled out. When they cooked up, I still only had 3/4 pf a ball and the batter that spilled out stuck them all together. When I tried to separate them, they ripped. Anyone have any ideas how to separate them better? Sorry if this question has already been asked. I've been trying to read through the entire thread, but not sure if I've missed something.

louw48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louw48 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 3:02am
post #203 of 241

BED BATH AND BEYOND IS CARRYING THE BABYCAKES CAKE POPS MACHINE

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 3:13am
post #204 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBelle

I bought mine a while ago and tried it out, but didn't have good luck. I overfilled, but the batter spilled out. When they cooked up, I still only had 3/4 pf a ball and the batter that spilled out stuck them all together. When I tried to separate them, they ripped. Anyone have any ideas how to separate them better? Sorry if this question has already been asked. I've been trying to read through the entire thread, but not sure if I've missed something.

Which cake recipe did you use?

My sister in Ecuador got the machine (that I sent), prepared a batter, put it in and it worked. I yelled at her for not waiting for my instructions (she doesn't even speak English), but it worked for her. She just used her vanilla cake recipe.

Maybe your cake recipe is not dense enough? I know she used a pastry bag to fill in the cavities and filled and left a little mound in the center, and then she closed the machine.

I still haven't got time to use mine...it's been months.

You should probably read Jenn's instructions at the very beginning. They're very detailed.

aces413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aces413 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 1:09pm
post #205 of 241

Question for those who don't use candy melts-- what do you add to your chocolate? I did mine yesterday with just chocolate, and they worked out fine...but if you touch them for even a second, the chocolate starts to melt. So, I'm certain that they would melt VERY quickly if left anywhere warmer than room temp. I know candy melts don't melt that easily once hardened, but I hate them. I saw someone say butter and corn syrup, but do either of those help with melting? I've been keeping them in the fridge anyway, but I'm concerned about how well they'd do in transit (I want to ship some to my mom) or just sitting out at a party.

Thanks!

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 1:13pm
post #206 of 241

My mom bought one for me the other day. I can't wait to get it from her to try it out!

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 1:17pm
post #207 of 241

I am very interested in this idea! Thank you!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 2:36pm
post #208 of 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by louw48

BED BATH AND BEYOND IS CARRYING THE BABYCAKES CAKE POPS MACHINE

BBB online shows cupCAKE maker (regular size and mini), not cake pop. I had not seen the CC makers before!

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 2:42pm
post #209 of 241

These are all the products from that company:

http://thebabycakesshop.com/products/all

Somewhere on this thread a rep from the company showed up and talked to us about it.

icesk8ermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icesk8ermom Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:47pm
post #210 of 241

I am so excited I am so getting one of these!! I can't stand those truffle style cake pops! My personal opinion is that they are nasty and mushy; however, due to just demand I just began to "test" different ways to try and come up with something not so mushy. This is going to solve my dilemma without a doubt! thumbs_up.gif

Thank you to everyone for all your tips and suggestions this give me a great starting point to begin with once I find one of these buggers!

I do have a suggestion of my own.....(although I haven't seen one of these balls cooked so not sure if my thought will work???)

After reading this entire thread I notice that some have said while cooling the balls get flatted or lopsided. How about using a paint palette? The groves are rounded and may help them keep their shape....thoughts?

Has anyone made more detailed pops that require candy pieces to go under the chocolate IE Hello Kitty, ducks etc?? I am wondering if they are sturdy enough to hold the extra weight?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%