Make Sure You Know All Details Before You Deliver! (Long)

Decorating By Bubbl3h3ad Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 8:08pm by DSmo

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:51am
post #1 of 14

First of all, this is not JUST about the delivery, it is about the whole cake situation and I was hopping mad with the whole thing was over! First of all, someone that I've known quite some time ordered a cake. It was supposedly a surprise for her coworkers but not needed on any certain day, as it was not a birthday cake or any special occasion like a wedding. She wanted it on a Saturday. I started the dang cake early, made the cake and put it in the freezer the weekend before and all that stuff. Made the cake board as soon as I got the order. Well, I was working on the cake and one of my other friends called saying she got hit in the face with a falling storage cabinet and could she come spend the night after getting stitches. Of course I said yes, as the poor thing does not have family here and she would have done the same for me. It was no big deal, I continued working on the cake until 2:30 in the morning, til I just couldn't stand up anymore and then went to bed. Got up early the next morning to continue decorating. When the cake was almost done, I heard my friend throwing up thumbsdown.gif Because she had a head injury, I felt like it was best to take her to the doctor. Of course this interrupted the cake decorating but I was almost done. All this time I was trying to keep the person who ordered the cake up-to-date so she would know I had not forgotten about her. The visit was relatively quick and I went back home and finished up decorating. So I said all that to say, I was exhausted!! That is the background to the real story:
So I get the cake done and get to the mall which is where the store is. I called her no less than 4 times on the way there to try to ask her which door of the mall to enter that would be closest to her store and she never answered. (I understand she probably couldn't answer while she was at work). So I called the mall directly and they told me the closest door. However, when I went in, I discovered that although that was the closest door to the store, it was furtherest from the elevator that I would need to get down to that store. So I'm carrying this 40-pound cake all over the mall trying to find the elevator. I stopped multiple times just because I had to put the cake down for a second. So I finally call the store directly and ask for my friend and tell her where I'm at and ask her if she or someone else could possibly run upstairs and help me out. She had the nerve to hang up on me!! So, I finally got to the elevator and 6 teenage boys are waiting for the elevator and making comments about the cool cake and what they could do to get some of it. It actually crossed my mind to just hand it over to them and go home. It also crossed my mind to offer one of them $5 just to carry it the rest of the way. So then I finally get to the store and one of the salespeople says when I walk in, "What in the world are you carrying a cake around?" So then I almost "handed" it to her. But instead I asked her if she could direct me to a place to put the dedgum cake down. (You can tell I'm not an accomplished curser but I thought up some much stronger words at the time). After I put the cake down, I turned around and walked out. I figured that if I saw the person who ordered the cake, security would be dragging me out in hand-cuffs. Now, before Leah gets on here and tells me how stupid I am, I just want to tell you what I learned from this experience:
1) Never EVER deliver a cake to a mall without a cart to put it in on. It never occurred to me because that same store in MY mall is right inside the door.
2) Probably not a good idea to even deliver to a mall but if you do, make sure you know exactly where the store is and how to get to it quickly.
3) Carry business cards and let make them very accessible because I had at least 5 people tell me how cute the cake is and they wish they had one.
Now after all that I had already been through, the cake-orderer said that she didn't feel like she should pay full-price for the cake since she ordered it as a favor to me and that it didn't get there as early as she expected. WHAT THE HECK?? 80 Don't do me any more favors EVER! It wasn't like the cake was a day late or anything! The store was still hopping!
So anyways, I told her just send me a money order for half of the price we had agreed on which probably doesn't even cover what I spent on making the cake and call it done. And I am not EVER making a cake for her again. Geez.
So anyways, I don't even need a response to this but I just had to get it off my chest. Hindsight is 20/20. Thanks for listening.

13 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 14

sounds like you had quite the learning experience. I just want to add a 4th thing on there

4) ALWAYS get payment BEFORE you even start on the cake! At least get 1/2 of the money to help cover your expenses and require the other half at delivery, and if they don't have the money at delivery then take the cake with you. (then go find those teenage boys to take care of it LOL)

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 14

Wow, I'd have been hopping mad too...and tired...and ready to throw the dang thang at her.
I always demand payment for specialty caked in full; in advance. I have a Paypal link on my web site. Wedding cakes are 25% (Not refundable)to reserve the date and the remainder 2 weeks ahead.
Hope your next order is a breeze, and profitable too!

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 14

Wow!! That sucks! :/ Sorry you went through that.. Hard lesson learned.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 14

All I'm gonna say is that your experience was your "tuition" in the School of Hard Knocks.

Live and learn.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

All I'm gonna say is that your experience was your "tuition" in the School of Hard Knocks.

Live and learn.

take the lessons and next time will be better.

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 14

Yes, it was ridiculous. I normally do get a deposit or even full payment ahead. I know you heard this before but this was a friend (or so I thought) and I thought I knew her. Lesson learned!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 14

she ordered it as a FAVOR to you??? icon_eek.gif

I'll have to try that one when I buy my next car. "I shouldn't have to pay full price for this car because I'm actually buying it as a favor to you!"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 14

Hold on, did I miss the part of the story where you were on your knees, crying and begging your so-called friend to "please, oh please, let me make a cake for you??"
And I wouldn't have given her ANY cake without all the money. Sorry for your experience, though.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 14

I can't believe that you are only charging her 1/2 of the full amount!

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:20pm
post #11 of 14

I just want to get rid of her icon_sad.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 14

Oh Man, I am sorry, but maybe your story has educated some of us!!! I hope your other friend is ok!

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 14

Yep, we all have to learn lessons. One of my friends ordered cake and cupcakes...I didn't ask for half down from her. Party postponed for WEEKS...I'm sweating bullets thinking of all those adorable cupcake crown toppers that I've painted silver just sitting around and possibly being wasted. THANKFULLY, party happened and I did get all my money and another order. Yep, stupid me....no down payment this time either and party has been postponed once already. But I did learn ONE thing at least...don't prepare too far in advance for my friend. lol This one will be made at the last minute.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:08pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

she ordered it as a FAVOR to you??? icon_eek.gif

I'll have to try that one when I buy my next car. "I shouldn't have to pay full price for this car because I'm actually buying it as a favor to you!"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

That's an AWESOME idea!!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%