General Public....spice Cookies Or Gingerbread?

Baking By Jopalis Updated 29 Sep 2010 , 1:27am by Zamode

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 12

I am making some Fall leaf cookies for an upcoming event at our church. I want to do either a regular butter cookie with spices or the Martha Stewart gingerbread I use at Christmas that I love. Question is...which would the general public like better a lighter spice cookie or the spicier gingerbread cookie? I will cover with marbled rbc. Thanks!

11 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 12

I would think that whoever likes one will probably like the other. And whoever doesn't like one, will probably not like the other! Pick the one YOU like, and do that. Gingerbread might be the safer bet, only because most people are familiar with it and will know what to expect.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 12

Gingerbread is my vote. Martha Stewart's is the best. I make them every Christmas.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 12

I'd actually want the lighter spice cookie. I still don't like gingerbread very much, but I especially hated it as a kid. I think the flavor is just too strong. If there will be a lot of kids there I think you'd be safer doing the milder flavor. Maybe it's just me, though. icon_smile.gif

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 12

why not make some of both. You can decorate them similarly still but have both flavors.

VickeyC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickeyC Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 12

I'm thinking on the lighter side also. Something like Snickerdoodle cookies would be the bomb! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

I'd actually want the lighter spice cookie. I still don't like gingerbread very much, but I especially hated it as a kid. I think the flavor is just too strong. If there will be a lot of kids there I think you'd be safer doing the milder flavor. Maybe it's just me, though. icon_smile.gif

Agree with this one. Flavor is too strong for me, too.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetcaking

Agree with this one. Flavor is too strong for me, too.

Me too. I've tried adding the mixed Pumpkin Spice mix in the spice section and I love the mellow spice flavor it gives.

Last Christmas I made Gingerbread Snowflake cookies. I used a gingerbread recipe, but swapped out the spices for the pumpkin spice mix. I iced them with the white chocolate almond bark you get at the grocery store and the white chocolate off set the spice nicely. It was much easier finishing off the cookies with just a quick swipe of white chocolate, and sprinkling with sanding sugar. I think I may have added some raw sugar too. It was last Christmas, I'm getting old, I'm suffering from CRS...Can't Remember Sh*T

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 6:24am
post #9 of 12

Thank you all so much for your input! I do also love MS gingerbread and did snowflakes in them last Christmas with just RI piping. In my pics. I love love love the work done by someone on here by the name Kraach. Just gorgeous. But I digress... LOL Easy to do on this site.

I did wonder if my MS cookies might be too strong for some folks. My DD is 10 and has always loved them but she likes things a lot of kids do not. Thank you again..... thumbs_up.gif

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 12:49am
post #10 of 12

I have been using the Martha Stewart Gingerbread recipe for years with great reviews. I've tried other recipes but they don't compare in taste.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:09am
post #11 of 12

Is this the recipe you are referring to?

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/gingerbread-cookies

Thanks!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:27am
post #12 of 12

Spice icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%