Egg Whites Vs The Whole Egg??

Decorating By awatterson Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 3:38pm by awatterson

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 4

What will using just he egg whites instead of a whole egg do to a cake? I am comparing WASC recipes and I see some that call for just egg whites and some just call for the whole egg. I am trying to make sure that I have the moistest cake and it seems to me that the egg yolks would add the fat that would make it moist, but I don't know.

Thank you.

3 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 4

They did a whole article on this in a recent issue of teh cake central magazine. I don't think the cake will be as moist, but there were other ramifications as well. But from teh chart they had, I would like a cake with only the whites a lot less than one with whole eggs.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 4

More often than not I use the whole egg instead of just the egg whites.

In cake mixes White cake calls for egg whites to help preserve the white white color, and it may change the density a little. In other favors of cake mixes they call for whole eggs.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 4

Ok. Thanks guys. I will stick with using the whole eggs. I also saw that they added oil into the recipe that didn't have the yolk. Do you think that it would get too moist if I used the whole egg AND added some oil?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%