Black Gumpaste

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 11 Aug 2010 , 4:34am by mbark

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 3:36am
post #1 of 6

I was wondering if anyone has had to use black gumpaste before? I can't seem to find any, they probably don't make it. But I do know that it's impossible to turn gumpaste (or fondant for that matter) BLACK with black coloring.

Do you use fondant with tylose (tylex? or something)?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

5 replies
DiviniDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiviniDee Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:07am
post #2 of 6

I have been in business for a year now and we make a lot of black fondant. We color the brown chocolate fondant with black gel paste and it works great and easily.
Good Luck

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:28am
post #3 of 6

I recently made a record & record player cake - in which I needed black gumpaste... (Check it out in my photos; unfortunately I don't know how to attach a link... icon_redface.gif )

For the record I ended up using black Satin Ice fondant with some Wilton Gum-tex mixed in. For the turntable I ended up mixing the black Satin Ice fondant with Wilton Gumpaste. The black fondant is so potent; it actually ended up staying very true to color even after mixing with straight white gumpaste. The ratio was probably about 2:1 fondant to gumpaste.

I was really happy with how both the gumtex & gumpaste mixtures worked out for me. Good luck & let us know what you end up doing and how it works for you!

~diem

patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:30am
post #4 of 6

I add black cocoa powder to my white fondant then use a little gel color. I bought the cocoa power at a amish store and it works great. It taste really chocolately with out the bitterness from the gel color.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:33am
post #5 of 6

I tinted Wilton premade gumpaste with Wilton black gel color tonight without any problems. Honestly it didn't take that much to get a really good dark black either.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 11 Aug 2010 , 4:34am
post #6 of 6

baker's kitchen (you can find them online) claims to carry the only pre-colored black gumpaste

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%