What's The Best To Choose? 2In Or 3In Deep Pan?

Decorating By jessicawells Updated 26 Sep 2014 , 1:43pm by cakeymom

jessicawells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicawells Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:12am
post #1 of 15

What choosing pan depths, is it better to go with a specific depth pan? I only have 2in pans, so that is what I have used for everything. Is a 3in depth better for certain things or better/worse in general? I am looking at upgrading to some better pans and was interested in the benefits of the 3 in pan depth. Thanks!

14 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:17am
post #2 of 15

When I have the option, I prefer 3" pans, BUT, I never bake 3" layers.........

I grease & flour the entire height of the pan and usually add an extra cup of batter. I get true 2" layers that require little trimming. It's like collaring a 2" pan, but without the hassle.

HTH
Rae

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 15

I use both 2 and 3 inch pans. I bake one of each so I can get 3 layers. For some recipes I just use 3 two inch pans, but for most I use both.

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #4 of 15

I love my 3" pans! They make beautiful layers that hardly need any trimming.

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:30am
post #5 of 15

I totally agree with BlakesCakes, I use my 3 in pans so that I can get layer slightly over 2 in, and then when I trim it it is a true 2 inch layer, I then use two of these for 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling in each tier.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #6 of 15

I do like my 3" pans. The 8x3 round was my first pan, love it to this day. And my 6x3 round is perfect for personal cakes. =)

jessicawells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicawells Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks so much everyone! I will definitely be investing in the 3 in pans!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 15

I love my 3" pans but I want a set of 2" now too so I can give my cakes more height with less waste of baking a whole other 3".

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 15

I always get the 3" pans and just fill it less if I need a thinner cake.

tasterschoice1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasterschoice1 Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 15

I am having trouble baking a three inch square cake. I am using an aluminum square pan 9x9x3, baking temp. 325 F, approximately 6 cups of batter, on center shelf, baking for approximate 60-75 minutes I am using a bakers nail and bake evenly strips. I am only filling the pan half way. The end result, cake sinks in the middle? Completely done on the sides (cake pulls away from the sides of the pan) Very brown crusted on top. I test with a toothpick and touch with my finger.  Yet not browned on the bottom?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Sep 2014 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasterschoice1 

I am having trouble baking a three inch square cake. I am using an aluminum square pan 9x9x3, baking temp. 325 F, approximately 6 cups of batter, on center shelf, baking for approximate 60-75 minutes...

I'm confused, please check your amounts. You're baking a three inch square cake? And 6 cups of batter is not a lot for a 9x9 pan (9x9x2 pan holds approx 10 cups batter). It may also help if you post the recipe.

tasterschoice1 Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 12:52am
post #12 of 15

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/heavenly-white-cake/detail.aspx

This is the recipe I am using for the above website. I doubled it :) It is 10 cups of batter. Not six- sorry!!!!

Heavenly White Cake

creamed together 3 cups of white sugar with 1 1/2 cups of butter

added 8 large egg whites and 8 teaspoons of clear vanilla extract

In a separate bowl , I sifted my 5 cups of cake flour, 8 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt

I than added the dry mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with 2 cups of milk

I baked it in a 9x9x3 aluminum square cake pan at 325 F. The baking time is taking approximately 1 hour and a half. The center is appears to have sunk but baked. The sides pull away from the pan. I also test it for doneness with my finger (the spring back up test.) Plus I use a toothpick to ensure it comes out clean. The top appears to be over cooked. However, the base is never browned enough(appears under cooked. )

tasterschoice1 Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 12:54am
post #13 of 15

P.S. I forgot :) THANK YOU BUNCHES :)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 12:28pm
post #14 of 15

I'm still confused. The recipe makes a lot of batter that goes into a 15x10x1 jelly roll pan. If you double it, then it's A LOT of batter. Way too much for your pan. (And why did you not double the flour?) Lastly - after baking for 1 1/2 hours (as you stated in the previous post), the bottom should definitely be overbaked. Maybe there's a problem with your oven temp. Maybe someone else can help. 

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 26 Sep 2014 , 1:38pm
post #15 of 15

I use 3" pans with my poundcake recipe when I need more height for carving because this recipe, that I have perfected, can stand the baking time and comes out perfect.  I also, place a flower nail in the center to ensure even baking.

I use 2" pans for my normal layer cakes.

I like both!!!!!! . Sometimes I use the 8 x 3" pan for a cake I torte in half and in this case I only have to bake using one pan and I have adjusted my most used recipes into halves, and three quarter ratios so I am not wasting ingredients.

So, I would say it depends on the application.

Cakeymom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%