Anyone Substitute In Nicholas Lodge Gumpaste Recipe?

Baking By KayMc Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 1:36pm by Cristi-Tutty

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 9

I always use the gumpaste recipe by Nicholas Lodge. I'm almost out of the Tylose, and if I need to reorder, now's the time. Has anyonever ever substituted the Wilton product, GumTex, instead of Tylose in this recipe? If so, do you use the same amount (12 tsp) that is called for in the recipe? Thanks for any help!

8 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know how low on tylose you are but, I often make half a recipe of Nic's gumpaste. Maybe you can try that until your tylose arrives...?

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 9

I have doesn't work like the tylose does at all. I would wait for my tylose.

KayMc Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 9

OK, you convinced me. I'll order the TYlose now. So, what is the gumtex for then?????

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

OK, you convinced me. I'll order the TYlose now. So, what is the gumtex for then?????

It's used in other gumpaste recipes...like the Wilton recipe.

1 tbsp of Gum Tex
3 cups of powdered sugar
1 heaping tbsp of Glucose
4 tbsp warm water
1 cup powdered sugar
In large bowl, mix Gum-Tex into 3 cups of powdered sugar. Make a well in the center and set aside. Mix water and glucose in a glass measuring cup and blend; heat in microwave on high for about 30 seconds until mixture is clear. Pour into well of 3 cups powdered sugar and mix until well blended (mixture will be very soft) Place mixture in a plastic bag and seal tightly. let mixture rest at room temperature for 8 hrs or overnight. Knead remaining powdered sugar into gum paste when you are ready to use it. As you work with it, gum paste will whiten and soften.

I used the Wilton recipe when I first began. So, I also have an almost full container of gumtex that I'll probably never use. I ONLY use Nicholas Lodge's recipe now. You can't beat it for workability!

KayMc Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 1:32am
post #6 of 9

I have only ever used Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe, so although I have nothing to which to compare it, I do love it and see no reason to try another recipe. I was hoping I could make the substitution from tylose to gumtex in his recipe, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So, I bought the bullet after getting all the good advice here, and ordered some more. Wish I knew where I could get it in bulk instead of the 2 oz jars.....

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:49am
post #7 of 9

They used to sell it on the chef rubber site but I can't find it there in bulk. Here's a listing on Ebay for six jars http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200479693926&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXI7&GUID=a12645b71290a0aad3b5e3d5fe36bf07&itemid=200479693926&ff4=263602_263622

KayMc Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 11:38am
post #8 of 9

Thanks TexasRose. I see there are a couple of sites in overseas that sell it in bulk, but not in the States. I wonder why no one over here sells it in a reasonable quantity?

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%