What Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By mookamoo Updated 24 Oct 2010 , 12:31am by julesh268

mookamoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mookamoo Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:27am
post #1 of 17

[img]/Volumes/NO NAME/DCIM/103___07/IMG_0230.JPG

What would you charge for this cake? It is 3 layers of 9" yellow cake with chocolate buttercream. Covered in fondant and gum paste accents? detective.gif
Thanks![/img]
Also how many people would this feed?
LL

16 replies
thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:50am
post #2 of 17

As much or as little as you want.

mookamoo Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:13am
post #3 of 17

what would be an average price/?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:28am
post #4 of 17

Please use the "search" button here to find the 10,000+ threads on cake pricing. Pour yourself a cup of coffee and settle in to do some reading on the subject.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:00am
post #5 of 17

Should feed approx 36 people. (2 layer is 24). So I would say if you charge $3 per serving then it would be $108 at $4 per serving that would be $144. It all depends on what you charge for fondant cakes. Personally for that cake in my area I would charge $75 for a single layer cake. But as everyone is saying they all vary, each area, each person. Figure what you would have in the cake, including your time and your power and what you want for a profit. It is just hard for anyone else to tell you what to charge.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 17

you'd do better off calling your local bakeries and custom cake decorators and ask how much a 9"x6" round covered in fondant would be?

mookamoo Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #7 of 17

Thank you the help. I have tried to find forums on this but most things I saw were the wilton pricing list or alice's pricing list. I see the wilton but it seems like they get so many servings out of small cakes. Alice's pricing list wont open on my computer for some reason. I am new to apple computers though.
Patticakes, thank you for your suggestion. This makes since to me. Is there a chart you use to find out how many servings each size cake has. I have also looked at many websites to try and find ideas, but most of them I come across in my area don't have them listed. One of the local home bakeries seems crazy cheap. There is really one commercial bakery in my area that does fondant and they said that a 2 tiered cake (8" and 6" round) covered in white fondant and not decorated...(only white fondant) is $200.
I thought that price was high.
Another bakery that I looked at said a round 8" serves up to 20 and is 45 dollars fondant and decorated. Would that 8" be 2 or 3 layers to serve 20 people.
Thank you for the help!!!!
My fiancee's family owns some local restaurants, and we are trying to figure out how much it would cost to become legal. This is the very early stages icon_wink.gif but i am trying to figure out how much to charge for my cakes and how many cakes i can do a week and how much overhead would be...and all that good stuff.
Please let me know if you know any good sites. I an just confused with the wilton chart.

mookamoo Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #8 of 17

oh, and how do you charge for the detail of decorations? detective.gifmadhatter.gif

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #9 of 17

There are some good threads on the forum about starting a business. You should sit down and figure out what your costs are and then you will have a better idea how much to charge for your cakes. I sat down and figured out the cost per egg, tsp of baking powder, powdered sugar, tsp of salt, etc. It helps in starting to figure out the cost of a cake. Then you need to add in your time for cooking, and cleaning up and decorating. Good luck.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 2:20am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookamoo

oh, and how do you charge for the detail of decorations? detective.gifmadhatter.gif

The "quality of work" is a HUGE factor. For the structure of the cake AND the decorations. How well the cake is executed is as important as the size
and the amount of servings. IMO

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 17

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

This is the chart that alot of people use for their serving amounts.

mookamoo Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 17

thanks that is a different chart than I have seen before.

mookamoo Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:21pm
post #13 of 17

thanks that is a different chart than I have seen before.

147258 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
147258 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 9:14am
post #14 of 17

/Volumes/NO NAME/DCIM/103___07/IMG_0230.JPG

How to open a picture of this type, please write.

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #15 of 17

I got the Cake Boss software...it's amazing. You should look into it if you're planning on doing cakes!

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 20 Oct 2010 , 4:40am
post #16 of 17

I would charge $45-50. I am just starting out and kind of just want to get cake orders, but since its little and doesn't feed a ton of people thats what I would charge. I don't charge by slice yet, still getting a feel for the whole thing. HTH.

Make sure you get a cash deposit for your materials just in case they screw you in the end. Want to cover your bases

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 12:31am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateNameHere

I got the software...it's amazing. You should look into it if you're planning on doing cakes!

Ditto! I keep a "dollar bank" all of my singles go in special wallet at the end of my day and I saved until I had enough to buy the software. I don't have a business, but feel I do good enough work to charge. So, I log and price all of the cakes I make. This program (although it crashed on me last night) is very easy to use and will help you get accurate pricing for your work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%