Help With Fondant Rope Around A 14" Cake.

Decorating By angelogoo Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 1:45pm by BosCakes

angelogoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelogoo Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 8:30am
post #1 of 12

Hello all,
I am trying to practise a rope border around a 14" square cake but no joy yet. The fondant just keeps breaking off and getting dry. I have used a lot of shortening and even added a bit of glucose but i just cant get it in one piece. Is my procedure wrong?

I roll out the fondant on a dusted surface and roll it between the table and my palm. It either gets too thin and break off or is too fat and doesnt look nice. I see all these lovely ropes on other peoples cake and they look so uniform and round. Mine looks sort of oblong and not uniform.

Please any tips will be appreciated.

11 replies
MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 10:09am
post #2 of 12

If you are making the rope by hand you may want to try a clay gun or a mold to make the rope look uniform.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 10:26am
post #3 of 12

Also, roll it out on a counter with a **thin** film of veg shortening. Dusting your surface with cornstarch or powdered sugar is generally not a good idea. I have seen some people roll the rope using two fondant smoothers, although I do have better luck using my hands.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:07am
post #4 of 12

A trick I use to avoid having to do one looong continuous rope is to do it in equal segments separated by pearls/beads, like in these two cakes. I hate looong ropes that get misshapen in the handling or have seams. This is my solution.

http://tinyurl.com/2aknu3k

http://tinyurl.com/29ayarh

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 12

You can use the clay gun with the disc with the three holes together. Once you have a long enough strip roll on the table gently, almost a twisting motion until you get the look you want. Never try to pick this rope up right off the counter, it will break. What I do is with a tiny dusting of podered sugar roll it up and then move and apply it.

Global sugar art has a new fondant ribbon applicator. Really cool worth looking at although the price is kind of steep for me.

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 12

I have had some success rolling the fondant by hand with a wooden dowel as a guide for my thickness. It has worked for smaller cakes. I also prefer the fondant pearl separator, because the rope can get a bit tricky the longer it's rolled.

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 12

have u tried using tylose powder to help with the stiffening?

angelogoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelogoo Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 12

No, i havent tried the tylose powder yet. Will buy some and give that a trial too. Will the craft gun give a long rope though or do i still have to cut and join the rope. Thinking of biting the bullet and buying the gun. Do you get a lot of use out of the gun?

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 12

My frog cake (the orange and yellow one) was only a 10 inch and it was hard to get a rope long enough to cover it- I used the makins clay extruder. I endedup having to do two ropes, which you can clearly see in the pictures where they join. (it looked good at the time... it wasnt until I saw the pics I realized how bad it looked) that is just a long peice of rope to do in one peice.

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 4:46pm
post #10 of 12

I never had luck with ropes from a clay gun, so I bought a silicone rope mold. That seems to be the easiest way I found to get that effect.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #11 of 12

When you join sections of rope, don't cut each rope straight across. Cut them on a diagonal. This provides more surface area to connect them and the seam is virtually invisible.

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 12

DianeLM that's a great tip- thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%