Are You A Cake Snob?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 1:31am by catlharper

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:21am
post #1 of 70

I sometimes help a friend who is a wedding coordinator at larger functions. We were talking about wedding cakes and she said you are such a cake snob, I will never bake a cake for you. HEHE... she is right I am a cake snob!

69 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 70

I think it's a prerequisite to be on here! icon_lol.gif

I'm more of an icing snob than a cake snob, but I've also got NO PROBLEM spitting out something that tastes like crap, and proclaiming, "OMG, that tastes like crap!" (Oh it's ok! In my family, they expect that kind of stuff from me! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:28am
post #3 of 70

Even my 3 year old is a cake snob in our house.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #4 of 70

if you are saying, that liking good tasting icing and or good tasting cake, is being a cake snob. then i guess we are all cake snobs on here. I do believe that we (as cake decorators want our cakes to be moist and fresh and the icing and cake taste good. i hope i understood your question. lol. as far as sitting on here and telling other decorators , that because they don,t use what i use or vice versa , that their cakes or icing is no good or taste good, i would never do that (if that is considered a cake snob) then , i don,t want to be a cake snob. lol.

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:36am
post #5 of 70

cake snobs unite! icon_lol.gif

he he !!! ~diem

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #6 of 70

Oh yeah! I remember back in the day, before cakes took over my existence, when Costco had the "good" cake. Bwahahahahah! Not so much anymore.... I now make the "good" cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:52am
post #7 of 70

I went to Georgia a few years ago to visit family. All of the ladies in my family went to tea. My sister is a professional cake decorator and I used to be an instructor, I still play. Anyhow, we saw the most amazing looking red velvet cake when we got there and asked them to reserve a slice for her and I to share with our lunch. When the time came we were so excited to try this cake. It was horrible, the texture was just nasty and the flavor was all wrong. But, the frosting was amazing! We sat there eating the frosting off it, it was so good!

So, yeah I am a cake snob! I say that with pride because I have worked hard to perfect some of my recipes. All five of my kids and my husband are cake snobs too. I love it when my kids come home from school and tell me that they tried to eat the cupcakes that someone brought but they just couldn't do it. : )

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:21am
post #8 of 70

What can I say? I am totally a cake snob. I think it's because I set such high standards for myself. If I'm not happy with it, it does not leave my kitchen. It better taste and look good if I am going to put my name on it.

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:30am
post #9 of 70

Yes- I am a cake snob. And an icing snob, and a cupcake snob, and a cookie snob, and a chocolate snob- isn't that what makes us good at what we do? We like perfection so we put perfection into each of our cakes or cookies or whatever. And yes, my family are becoming quite the snobs too. Come on- life is too short to eat bad cake!

Jesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesa Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:31am
post #10 of 70

Me too! A proud cake snob raising a house full of mini cake snobs who flatter me most by claiming mama's cakes to taste the best icon_wink.gif

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:39am
post #11 of 70

There should be a t-shirt that says "Cake Snob" on it! It should have an "olde time" fpont on it and a big princess crown! I would totally wear it! icon_cool.gif

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:50am
post #12 of 70

I meant "olde time-y" font. oops

paoli96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paoli96 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:52am
post #13 of 70

I have to jump in - - I don't eat my cake as I am gluten intolerant; so, I don't think I can be a cake snob icon_smile.gif

Anyway, this past weekend I made a pull-apart cake for my niece's 7th birthday which was held on Sunday.

On Saturday, my niece had her friend's over and my sister purchased some cupcakes at the grocery store. My niece took a bite and said, "Blah". "These don't taste near as good as Aunt Patti's. Mom, aren't you SO lucky to have a sister who can bake our cakes?"

I had to laugh. I only started making cakes a little over a year ago. I still enjoyed hearing it.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:57am
post #14 of 70

Cake snob here! My DH and kiddos are too and funny actually my Dad is my biggest cake snob! I love it!!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:26am
post #15 of 70

I am a cake snob disguised as a research detective. I'm still new enough that I just have to see and taste other people's cake so I can decipher how it was done, whether it's mix or scratch, is it level, how's the back look, what's the cake board like, etc.... Of course, I only discuss my opinionated results here or with another cake friend. icon_biggrin.gif

Results from most recent cake: straight box mixes (tasted good but definitely straight box), canned frosting (ya! I was really surprised as it was a wedding cake), the cake needed a plateau, and certainly the cake should have been on something more than a thin board covered in white freezer paper. On the plus side: very level and stable, icing was smooth, there was no "back" to the cake that I could see. I was a bit embarrassed to look so closely (especially at the back), but I held my hands clasped behind my back and leaned over as little as possible to look at the back. LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:28am
post #16 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Results from most recent cake: straight box mixes (tasted good but definitely straight box), canned frosting (ya! I was really surprised as it was a wedding cake), the cake needed a plateau, and certainly the cake should have been on something more than a thin board covered in white freezer paper. On the plus side: very level and stable, icing was smooth, there was no "back" to the cake that I could see. I was a bit embarrassed to look so closely (especially at the back), but I held my hands clasped behind my back and leaned over as little as possible to look at the back. LOL

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's when my husband or one of my kids are pulling me away saying, "oh will you STOP it? Do you HAVE to do that every single time!?" (uh....yeah. I do! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif )

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:43am
post #17 of 70

BWAHHAHAHAHAHA... That is too funny Debi I can totally relate as I too embarrass my family in the same way at every party or wedding we attend.

thatslifeca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thatslifeca Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:59am
post #18 of 70

I would have to say that I'm a cake snob. I'm an icing snob also. I have this fasination (spelling?) with how well the chosen icing matches the cake, the filling. I also tend to examine a cake rather intently, but I would love to learn to do it tactfully LOL. I don't touch, but I do stare, walk around it, get as close as I can. Evently hubby will come and drag me away and say " good god woman, every one is staring!".....LOL.

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:08am
post #19 of 70

I swore I would never be a cake snob.
... BUT...
I recently went to a child's party and the cake looked pretty, but it was so dry and bland... I guess I just had to come across a bad cake to see how far my cake senses have come!! lol

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:23am
post #20 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel5370

There should be a t-shirt that says "Cake Snob" on it! It should have an "olde time" fpont on it and a big princess crown! I would totally wear it! icon_cool.gif

I'd buy it! LOL!

And yes, I'm a cake snob raising more of them. My daughter calls me the other day saying that the daughter of one of her co workers brought this cake in...and she took a photo for me cause it was such a cute cake. She couldn't wait to taste it. Well, she called me back and said in a whisper "Mom? OMG...the cake was like chewing ground up paper..really, I don't know what she did with the taste of the cake but it's gone! And her fondant...it looked lovely but Mom, I swear, it just wasn't yours!" She went on to say that some of her other co workers who have had my cakes and have had hers came by to tell her that ours rock while the other girls just "looked good" LOL!

So yup, Cake Snob!

Cat

nia0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nia0524 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:35am
post #21 of 70

This topic is sooooooooo funny! And yes, I too an a cake snob! My family, as well as one of dearest friends, are all cake snobs! My dd can no longer eat the Walmart cakes....

About 2 years ago, on Valentine's Day, she went to school with individually boxed cupcakes for everyone in the class. When I picked her up that afternoon, I asked her if anyone else bought cupcakes for the class and of course she said yes! On the way home, we stopped at Walmart for her to get a gift for her brother, and she yelled out (really loud), "THIS IS WHERE SHE GOT THEM! THOSE THINGS WERE YUCK!!!!!!" I was a little embarrased but mostly pleased that she knows good cake!!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:49am
post #22 of 70

I too am a cake snob. I was just thinking the other day that I used to LIKE Costco cake....YUCK!!! I had to eat some the other day at work, since it was bought for me.....YUCK!!!! I could hardly swallow it. I was just thinking "Hello, you all know I make cakes, and you got me a Costco cake??" But I was gracious and thanked them all, then politely excused myself to the restroom where I rinsed my mouth out.

My husband is worse. He comes home after every event and says that the cake was awful, and has even developed the pallet to tell what is wrong with it. It's kinda funny. icon_smile.gif

But the kids, wow they are the worse. At aged 3 and 5 they will not eat a cake that doesn't taste good to me. The youngest just spits it out and says "YUCK" wiping off her tongue. While the 5 year old has developed some gracefulness, as she quietly walks over to me and says "Momma, I just don't like this cake. Do I have to eat it?" making sure she looked around so no one saw her.

So yes, let's all unite and get our "Cake Snob" shirts together!!!!

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:41am
post #23 of 70

I'm a terrible cake snob, to the extent that I feel guilty about it. I'm not a snob when it comes to decorating the thing, mainly because I'm not so great at decorating myself and only just began trying, but I'm a wretched snob when it comes to taste and texture. I definitely prefer homemade cakes to those out of a box, and I just don't understand people who always buy cakes and never make their own. Buying a cake occasionally makes sense (i.e. no time to make it yourself), but always????

I only started decorating cakes because I now have a daughter and want to practice for when she's older and wants themed cakes -- I don't want to be shopping around for them!

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:49am
post #24 of 70

I went to a wedding shower a few weeks ago and had a piece of the cake. It was awful! The cake was covered in Wilton fondant, that was pretty thick, and hardly had any icing. I didn't say anything until my friend, the bride-to-be, complained about it. I realized from that moment on I'll be a cake and/or icing snob!

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:36pm
post #25 of 70

So who is printing those tee shirts? I need a size XL please!! icon_lol.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm
post #26 of 70

I guess I fit into that category. I find myself refusing cake at functions. My excuse, "I eat enough scraps that I hate cake." Which is the truth. LOL

BRATTYR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BRATTYR Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:03pm
post #27 of 70

oh ya I am a cake snob and i dont think i can very go back!!! i went to a family memebers kids birthday party and the mom says to me dont laugh at my cake and i was like i would never do that. but i am very say to say i could only not say anything out loud!! i was thinking to myself why did you not sak me to make you a cake i could have made you a great one!!! well at least better then what i saw!!!
cake snob!!!

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:15pm
post #28 of 70

Cake Snob family here too! At Church on Sunday and there was a pot luck lunch, my 7 year old daughter looked at the cake that said "Welcome" to the new pastor and said very loud and with great passion ... "We can't eat that ... it is store bought!"

Btrfly578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Btrfly578 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm
post #29 of 70

I make cakes a lot (just for fun- hoping to start a business soon), but I would consider myself a cake snob for sure and I would definitely buy the shirt.

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:54pm
post #30 of 70

Total CAKE SNOB HERE!!!! and sorry to say but i think i HAVE MADE MY WHOLE FAMILY INTO ONE TOO!!! indydebi I LOVE U, U crack me up!!!! And I think i will have to go get a t-shirt and some iron on letters to make my own shirt LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%