What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By oceanslayer Updated 15 Jun 2010 , 4:41am by Bakingangel

oceanslayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanslayer Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:30am
post #1 of 12

See how it bulges out in the middle of the bottom tier? Did I put too much icing in the middle or not enough icing on the sides? Thank you in advance!
LL

11 replies
awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:47am
post #2 of 12

Did you let it settle overnight before putting the fondant on? If you don't let it settle you will get that bump.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:48am
post #3 of 12

How long did you allow your cake to settle after filling? Cakes are going to settle. It's important to allow them to do this before icing. I level, fill and wrap in plastic wrap and let them sit for several hours before crumbcoating and icing. You should also make a dam out of thickened buttercream for your filling. Doing these two things will prevent that dreaded budge.

oceanslayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanslayer Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:52am
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the replies. The cakes are all buttercream, including the filling. No, I didn't let it settle. Guess that's it. I also didn't use the dam. I didn't realize that you should do that when you are using buttercream. I thought you only did that with a fruit filling. Duh!

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:54am
post #5 of 12

mamawrobin is always full of helpful info.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #6 of 12

If you use a slightly stiffened buttercream as the filling in your cakes, then you do not need to let your cakes sit around before you finish them, and you don't need to use a dam with buttercream as your filling. On some recent Saturdays I've had 35 cakes due and don't have time to let them sit around.

You will find that the millions of people who do cakes a) do things differently; b)change their ways of doing things as they gain experience; and c) half will swear by one method while the other half NEVER do it that way. LOL

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:15am
post #7 of 12

Why does it happen if you did let your cake settle? Mine sat overnight and still: the dreaded bulge.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:23am
post #8 of 12

It would seems that your filling was too thin, and letting the cake sit for days on end waiting for it to "settle" won't help one bit. If you were using buttercream, stiffen it up a bit next time. icon_smile.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:24am
post #9 of 12

I've looked at this cake a couple of times and to me I do not see a bulge in the middle of the layers of the bottom tier. Somehow, it looks like the bottom layer of that tier is narrower that the top layer of the bottom tier. How odd. I have no idea how or why.... very strange....

Sandy

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:29am
post #10 of 12

I agree with mommawrobin.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:33am
post #11 of 12

Beautiful design!!!!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:41am
post #12 of 12

I assume you iced all three tiers the same way. Notice that the top and middle tiers don't have the problem. I'm wondering if the dowels in the bottom cake were too short which would cause more weight on it causing the "waistband".

Since I started using Sugar Shack's method of stacking cakes, I haven't had a problem with waistbands or blow outs. If you can, order her stacking cakes DVD. It's very informative.

Hope you figure it out as I know how frustrating it is. Your cake is beautiful! Don't give up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%