How Would I Do This Cake?

Decorating By rkei Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 1:33am by dm321

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 10

How would I do this cake? Could I do the yellow fondant in BC and just do the flowers in MMF or something? How Easy is it to put fondant on a cake? Do I need to put a coat of BC under it to help it stick? Please help.[/img]
LL

9 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 10

I would like to know how the plaque is made.

I think it is pink fondant on top of the color BC. I can see some distortion on the yellow that leads me to believe it is BC.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 10

I'm a newbie, but I think the flowers are gumpaste.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:10am
post #4 of 10

....... Could I do the yellow fondant in BC and just do the flowers in MMF or something?......
Yes you could easily.
.........How Easy is it to put fondant on a cake? .........
If you have ever made a pie crust you should be able to handle fondant. The problem most 'newbies' have is getting the bottom edges w/o folds. This can be eliminated by putting the cake on a board the same size as the cake which is then elevated on a can (or something) that is smaller than the cake size. Example: 8" round cake on 8" round board placed on a Crisco can or 6" cake pan etc.
..........Do I need to put a coat of BC under it to help it stick?......
Yes, that's a good idea. That way if someone does not like the fondant they can remove it and still have icing on their cake.

I agree w/the other poster that the cake is 1st iced in yellow colored buttercream incing, then a pink piece of fondant is added over it for the scolloped edged top. Number, bow and white plaque are gumpaste or fondant stiffened with GumTex or Tylose.

That looks like one of JenniferMI's cakesicon_smile.gif You can IM her for more details. She's great and will answer any of your ?s.

rkei Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

....... Could I do the yellow fondant in BC and just do the flowers in MMF or something?......
Yes you could easily.
.........How Easy is it to put fondant on a cake? .........
If you have ever made a pie crust you should be able to handle fondant. The problem most 'newbies' have is getting the bottom edges w/o folds. This can be eliminated by putting the cake on a board the same size as the cake which is then elevated on a can (or something) that is smaller than the cake size. Example: 8" round cake on 8" round board placed on a Crisco can or 6" cake pan etc.
..........Do I need to put a coat of BC under it to help it stick?......
Yes, that's a good idea. That way if someone does not like the fondant they can remove it and still have icing on their cake.

I agree w/the other poster that the cake is 1st iced in yellow colored buttercream incing, then a pink piece of fondant is added over it for the scolloped edged top. Number, bow and white plaque are gumpaste or fondant stiffened with GumTex or Tylose.

That looks like one of JenniferMI's cakesicon_smile.gif You can IM her for more details. She's great and will answer any of your ?s.

Thank you, kakeladi! You have been a really great help to me! Can you give me the link to JenniferMI's profile so I can message her? I couldn't find her anywhere.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:28am
post #6 of 10

I can't remember what name she uses on this board. She does a lot of teaching and might be off on a teaching trip.

stacyllind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyllind Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:31am
post #7 of 10

the pic is from this website http://www.misspatticakes.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=123255 (bottom of the page on the right)

She is a fellow CC'r named pish so you could try asking her if she could give any hints icon_smile.gif

rkei Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:44am
post #8 of 10

@stacylld: Thank you! I found the cake on Cake Central, and just saved it to my computer, and attached it to the post. Thank you very much for the link! I will message Pish!

stacyllind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyllind Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:02am
post #9 of 10

No problem! It was kind of a strange coincidence that I even knew that but I was browsing through her website and saw the cake and recognized it from your post...right place at the right time I guess icon_smile.gif good luck!

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:33am
post #10 of 10

"The problem most 'newbies' have is getting the bottom edges w/o folds. This can be eliminated by putting the cake on a board the same size as the cake which is then elevated on a can (or something) that is smaller than the cake size. Example: 8" round cake on 8" round board placed on a Crisco can or 6" cake pan etc." [quote] - Kakeladi

Kakeladi - thanks for posting this! It's something I sort of figured out on my own one day when I was making a small present (about 3"x3"). I kept thinking it would be easier if the fondant would fall over the sides, past the bottom of the cake... So I put it on a short square juice glass and was amazed at how much easier it made things!

~diem

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%