Cake Boss (The Show) I Hate To Be A Downer But......

Lounge By multilayered Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 5:10pm by LindaF144a

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:49am
post #61 of 95

I think Buddy is an amazing decorator, but I too hate the show.. I prefer to watch Ace of Cakes, because it is a cake show and because they all do appear to work good together. I like Ace of Cakes, for the other decorators too, not just Duff, they are very talented too.

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:07am
post #62 of 95

Karen421, that's EXACTLY what I am talking about....boy, if I could do that so flawlessly....beautiful! I want to see moe of THAT side of Buddy's decorating!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 11:10am
post #63 of 95

I absolutely agree -those cakes are worth every penny!!! Some of the cakes posted on here are well worth those prices also!

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 3:38pm
post #64 of 95

You know, maybe that's what it is. I really didn't see too much of the show the first season when Buddy was really showcasing his artistic abilities. I have watched recently and that's why I just haven't been impressed.It seems like it has just become a soap opera that happens to take place in a cake shop. It's just not for me..give me Cake Girls..Merci Bo..Cake Alchemy..and Christopher Garrens Cakes any day!!! I do agree with one of the other posters about pricing though...I really wish they listed the prices so people can understand that these cake range into the thousands.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:16pm
post #65 of 95

I just had to come back to this thread after watching the 2 episodes of Cake Boss that aired last night.

The man has some mad piping chops! Those elephants on his son's birthday cake? Astounding! The heart shaped cake? So lovely and romantic! The "bridge" cake? Hideous icon_wink.gif but the piping was incredible!

Karen421 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:11am
post #66 of 95

I'm really afraid those bridges are going to make a come back!!!

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:30am
post #67 of 95

I liked the bridge cake. I was married in 84 and that was what I had. I still like it and brought back nice memories.

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 11:58am
post #68 of 95

OK, after saying I couldn't watch because of the drama, I went to visit my sister in PA this weekend (my nephew was graduating High School) She surprised me Sunday with - I am taking you to see Carlo's Bakery!! LOL, so we drove 2 1/2 hours. We waited outside for 20 minutes in line (not bad) then went in. I HATED it! We were sardines packed in there! There was NO organization at all!! I am quite sure the Fire Dept would not be pleased. We got a number, but there were so many ppl we could barely look around. When my number was called, I couldn't even see what my choices were. I just said - 1/2 dozen cupcakes. Whatever. My sister got a 6" fondant cake, the lobster things, and some other cream pastries. I was just happy to get out of there, so claustrophobic. They need to work on that. The cupcakes - FABULOUS. The 6" cake - INCREDIBLE. except the fondant, it was NASTY. It left an awful taste in your mouth. the cake and bc, though. the best cake I have ever eaten. The lobster things - nasty. They were hard and chewy and tasteless. The cream inside was heaven, though. The other pastries were ok. So, that's my review...the cake itself was delicious. The experience, I could have done without

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 12:34pm
post #69 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmo

He's italian, folks! They fuss one minute and hug the next. Thats the way they are. They are down to earth people. I enjoy his show.

Exactly! I love the show and all the "drama". It's just family. And if you notice he only talks like that to the family, I don't recall seeing where he yelled at a nonfamily employee that way. I think it's great that you can say what you mean and be all hugs the next minute. But maybe that is because that is exactly how it was when I was growing up. It's not like that so much now, but we are pretty honest with each other but not in a "What's Yous Do???" kind of way.

We do use that word "Yous" do a lot lately in our house, but mostly as a joke. Funniest word I have ever heard. icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:00pm
post #70 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopGrl1128

Hey! these people produce hundreds of items and cakes each week, and they bake all from scratch! they get points from me just for doing that.

They don't bake everything from scratch, there are boxes and bags of mixes in the background of a lot of the shots. Keep your eye out and you'll see it.

LindaF144a Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 1:45pm
post #71 of 95

On the last show they used an empty Satin Ice fondant bucket to check the pump. At least it said Satin Ice, I'm assuming it was fondant.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 2:17pm
post #72 of 95

I noticed the Satin Ice fondant bucket too.

I agree Buddy is really good at piping! I also appreciated how much info he gave for the steps he was taking in preparing the cakes and decorating them. Didn't much care for the look of the bridge cake though....maybe it was the colors? I thought it was a bit tacky looking, Just my personal opinion. icon_wink.gif I guess it was a good idea for that particular event though so all the different couples could have individual cakes in the flavors they wanted.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 4:11pm
post #73 of 95

I must say that i love this show. Ace of cakes i can take or leave it. Cake boss i tape so i won't miss a one.

The only cake that kind of freaked me out was the fire breathing one. The only thing i could think of was that guy was spitting all over the cake. But i guess it didn't bother anyone else.

Just want to say Buddy if you are reading this keep up the great work. Love your show.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 3:18am
post #74 of 95

I have to say I stopped watching too. I think he is talented but I couldn't take the phony staged drama and the accent! Don't get me wrong I am 100% Italian from NJ but I just can't handle listening to his voice! I think most of the show is staged for drama but it gets so old/predictable after a while icon_rolleyes.gif

paulina69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulina69 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #75 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

I think he does great work, and I especially like that it seems most of his cakes are, in fact, CAKE. However, I could do without all the yelling that goes on.

icon_biggrin.gif The yelling is kinda irritating, although I have to say that he definitely is one talented person. icon_smile.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:05am
post #76 of 95

I LOVE Cake Boss - at first Buddy seemed a bit loud and obnoxious but he really grows on you if you give him a chanceicon_smile.gif I love the way he shows people how they do things (don't see that much on Ace of Cakes and almost never see Duff doing anything but talking) and when I saw Buddy doing "old school" decorations (piping elephants/clowns/ruffles and piping out of buttercream) I was really impressed by his skillsicon_smile.gif I know a lot of the show is staged and overly dramatic but it does make me laugh and it's the only tv show I ever bother to try watching every weekicon_smile.gif The crew on Ace of Cakes is sooooooo mellow and they talk so slow...sometimes I want to yell through the tv "talk faster!!!!!!!" - hahahaicon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #77 of 95

Is there any way we can get that annoying link for the software out of the phrase cake.boss?
Aside, that is, from putting a dot instead of a space.

ninjacaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninjacaker Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #78 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

Is there any way we can get that annoying link for the software out of the phrase cake.boss?
Aside, that is, from putting a dot instead of a space.

Seeing how the owner of Cakeboss is a paying advertiser on this site, as well as a member here, I don't see why it would be removed.

In addition, the name was the software company's first, not Buddy's or TLC's.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 2:12pm
post #79 of 95

wow who woke up and pissed in your coffee today? Who cares if the phrase cakeboss is hyperlinked? There are many ads on here that when you use their name it does the same thing. What a trivial thing to diss.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 2:50pm
post #80 of 95

Gee so sorry something bothers me that doesn't bother you.
I typed cake.boss meaning a TV show not to give an advertisement for a product.
Does the software owner pay for every link?

I don't know what you add, cakesdivine, but I don't drink piss in my coffee.

alissa1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alissa1 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 4:48pm
post #81 of 95

I've been to his bakery and ordered pastries and cupcakes which were all dry as a bone. Not one thing was any good. Stop watching after that.

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 1:35am
post #82 of 95

I get the most out of his show when I watch it on mute and have DVR'd it so I can fast forward through the "drama".

I do see some things that are pretty good, but the really high quality stuff usually comes from one of his staff that gets little or no camera time.

I'm not saying he doesn't do some good things, but I bet if you compared his rates and work to someone like, Mike from Seattle's Mike's Amazing cakes, Buddy would really pale in comparison.

I've seen much better things done on Ace of Cakes or the Food network's Challenge specials. JMO.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 3:55am
post #83 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyCarla

I get the most out of his show when I watch it on mute and have DVR'd it so I can fast forward through the "drama".

I do see some things that are pretty good, but the really high quality stuff usually comes from one of his staff that gets little or no camera time.

I'm not saying he doesn't do some good things, but I bet if you compared his rates and work to someone like, Mike from Seattle's Mike's Amazing cakes, Buddy would really pale in comparison.

I've seen much better things done on Ace of Cakes or the Food network's Challenge specials. JMO.

Oh, Mike is just simply amazing. His business name so suits his talent. And I love his personality as well. I still can't get over his scooby doo sarcophogus on Challenge.

JayyBugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayyBugg Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:03am
post #84 of 95

yeah he's not always phenonminal but i think he has some great ideas and puts them together great. and hey its nice to just chill and watch a show like that. it relaxes me icon_rolleyes.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:11am
post #85 of 95

I just thought of this thread after watching tonight's episode of Cake Boss. I can't believe how BEAUTIFUL the Marie Antoinette-themed cake was.
Now, did anyone change their mind???
What did you think? I could put that picture on my wall and look at it every day!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:55am
post #86 of 95

That Marie Antoinette cake was seriously gorgeous and elegant - and with a pockmarked fondant canvas too!!! Amazing that he was able to turn a flawed cake into a flawless one. One of my favorite cakes for sureicon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:31pm
post #87 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

I just thought of this thread after watching tonight's episode of . I can't believe how BEAUTIFUL the Marie Antoinette-themed cake was.
Now, did anyone change their mind???
What did you think? I could put that picture on my wall and look at it every day!

That cake was exquisite! I thought of this thread too, but my mind didn't need to be changed icon_wink.gif. I am of the opinion that once you take away the drama, and the Oprah magazines, and the cakes that look like cars and robots and his wife, Buddy is the most talented cake decorator on TV right now. The drama is killing me, though...that sequence of his sister and nephew with the food was just disgusting to me.

LindaF144a Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:20pm
post #88 of 95

Loved last night's show. When he was doing the piping both my DD and I just watched in awe. I wish I had taped it because the close up shots of him doing that piping were like getting a mini lesson. I don't usually buy DVDs of TV shows, but I will be for this one.

Karen421 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:12pm
post #89 of 95

It was amazing! That drop piping WOW! He is very talented!

sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:57pm
post #90 of 95

I have to say Im very underwhelmed by his cake decorating skills. I mean the last episode I watched he had the opportunity to make a cake for O magazine with creative freedom and all he can come up with is stacked magazines! I thought that was lame. Plus most of the cakes I see him do are sheet cakes with things on top of them. I will say he has good piping skills but he is no better than millions of other decorators out there. The only reason he has a show is because he is loud and creates drama. Thats my opinon and I know alot of people disagree but I just dont see the talent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%