Does Anyone Freeze All Purpose Flour?

Decorating By monet1895 Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 6:59pm by kelleym

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:23am
post #1 of 14

I bought a large bag today b/c it was such a great price. I've read that I can freeze it, but was just wondering if anyone has input on that? TIA.

13 replies
dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:34am
post #2 of 14

I always freeze my flour to kill any bugs. No problem using it after I take it out the freezer.

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:53am
post #3 of 14

If you freeze it, do you put the bagged flour directly in freezer, put in a plastic bag, or wrap it in plastic of some kind first? Does frost or crystallization affect the flour? I bought 20# on sale too, and was wondering the same thing.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:13am
post #4 of 14

I only put mine in the freezer during the summer months, when pantry moths are more likely.

Flour shouldn't have moisture in it, so there isn't a problem with crystallization or "freezer burn." If you are using the freezer on a refridgerator, I would put it in plastic, because then it can pick up odors from the refridgerator compartment, which the flour can absorb.

monet1895 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:33am
post #5 of 14

Thanks!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 14

I put mine in freezer zip lock bags for 24 hrs to kill weavels. Something I read on line. I do it everytime I bring home a new bag. Then I take it out and put it in a regular container. It has worked like a charmicon_smile.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 14

i found 5 lb bags of flour on sale once for $1 a bag. i bought up a few of them and just kept them in the freezer. i've never had a problem with condensation getting into the flour bags.

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks for the advice. Think I'll go back and buy 3-4 more bags of flour. My freezer has the space right now!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 14

I always keep my flour in the freezer. Works great!

tootsie927 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsie927 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 14

Wow Thanks! I never knew that you could freeze flour. how long you keep it in the freezer?

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 14

Wow this is cool!! Never knew it...sure will try it icon_smile.gif

monet1895 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 14

I've read that you can freeze for up to a year.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 14

<raising hand>

I started doing this after a visit to my parents a few years ago. I went to get flour to make something and my mom said it was in her freezer. When I asked why she froze it, she said to keep the bugs out. Genius! So I started doing it with my flour. I don't find that it makes any difference in any use whatsoever and I NEVER have bugs!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 14

Funny story this reminded me of -- a long time ago, a friend of mine had a traumatic experience finding a rat in his kitchen sitting on the kitchen counter eating a banana. Ever since then he keeps ALL his food in the refrigerator. Cereal, pasta, you name it. He says if the rats want it, they're going to have to work for it. icon_lol.gif

And yes, I freeze my flour in a gallon-size freezer bag for at least 24 hours after I bring it home. I read once that all flour has weevil larvae in it, and 24 hours in the freezer takes care of them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%