How Do I "quill" Flowers?

Decorating By Ladybug78 Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 5:16pm by CakeCrystals

Ladybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug78 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:15am
post #1 of 19

I am not even sure if "how do I quill flowers" is the best
way to ask the question but I like the look. I need help with the technique. Please help.

18 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 19

Could you post a pic so we could see what you mean?

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 19

Could you post a pic so we could see what you mean?

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 19

I think you just cut the fondant and shape it like you want (on it's side then do more that is smaller and so on and so forth... that probably doesn't help though.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 19

Here is a picture of quilled flowers. I DID NOT MAKE THIS CAKE, and I'm not sure who did, but it is really neat. I bought a neat little tool from the grocery store (Kroger's). I think it was called a garlic mincer, but it was basically a small pizza cutter with multiple wheels. It cuts perfect pieces for quilling. I recommend using all gumpaste, or at least 50/50; roll it fairly thin, cut your pieces then just twirl 'em up! I lay each strip on it's side and wrap it around a dowel to start, then twirl twirl twirl. I lay each piece on it's side to dry. I haven't made flowers but can't wait to try it.
LL

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupandbon Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 19

i did a search to find this garlic thing since i'm dying to try quilling, too. what i found that looks like what mug a bug described is actually called a rolling herb mincer. gotta find me one!!! the one i found while searching is about $25. i'd love to find a bargain...

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 19
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 19

I think I only paid $7-8 bucks for mine. I got it at King Soopers (if you happen to have those where you live). I'm sure you could find them anywhere.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:57am
post #10 of 19

Glad to see this thread. I've been searching for information on how to do quilled flowers AND I'm loving the garlic mincer! What a neat tool. I gotta have one!

JenJen28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJen28 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:02pm
post #11 of 19

I say go to your local craft store and by a how to book on quilling. It's very popular for scrap booking and you might even find some tools to make it the job easier as well. I have found that a lot of the tools for scrap booking like rubber stamps and tool or books for clay modeling work just a well for fondant also.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #12 of 19

I agree. I have several clay tools that I use for fondant. I will be looking for that book on quilling. Thanks.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:48pm
post #13 of 19

Google "quilling" and you should be able to gather the info you need. Basically, it is a paper craft using thin strips of paper rolled up, either by hand or with a tool, into circles. You then manipulate the circle into one of a few basic shapes. You then glue them together to create one large shape. Hope this makes sense. It is really beautiful on a cake.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 19

I got this one at Target for 2.00 on sale! love it! for borders.... for quilling... trims, etc.
LL

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:09pm
post #15 of 19

are there any tutorials out there on quilling gumpaste? I would love to learn this technique.
Thanks,
Carol

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:18pm
post #16 of 19

I am trying this on a cake this week end...

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 8:44pm
post #17 of 19

I have a book by a designer from Argentina where she uses individual gradated petal cutters to shape the gumpaste/fondant around them, on the outside.

This kind of cutters:

http://www.globalsugarart.com/.....%20Cutters

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 1 Apr 2011 , 9:38pm
post #18 of 19

Heres some basic instructions for 1 or 2 looped quilled flowers from Wilton. (Keep in mind the more loops added for each petal, the more it will look like real quilling.) Ignore the Wilton leaves though, they just chose cut outs. You'd want to do your leaves the same as the flowers if you want leaves on your cake.

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Quilling-Flowers

Also a nice clear photo of quilled flowers on a finished cake. By stefanitadio.

http://www.stefanitadio.com/uploaded_images/05-03-06_QuilledCake-732089.jpg

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:16pm
post #19 of 19

There are some neat videos on quilling on youtube. Here is one that I viewed:

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%