How Do You Add Your Cake Extender?

Baking By makenice99 Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm by makenice99

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 12

For those that use the cake extender with box mix help. Do you first mix the cake as directed on the box set aside then mix the extender and fold the two together? I want to try it to make the box taste more scratch but not sure how to.

Thanks,

11 replies
moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 12

I mix all my dry ingredients first (ie., cake mix, flour, sugar) then add all the wet ingredients.

Hope this helps.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 12

Same as moranda.

MG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 12

I put the cake mix ingredients and the extender ingredients all together in a large mixing bowl. It comes out great.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 12

I mix all the wet things together, then dump in the mix, flour and sugar.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 12

I put the dry ingredients in a bowl, whisk it together to remove any large clumps, put the wet ingredients in the mixer bowl and mix for a few seconds, and then add the dry to the wet and mix on low (stand mixer) for 2 minutes.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 12

I agree with MG - mix them all together at once.

BTW - TexasSugar, love the new avatar!

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:50am
post #8 of 12

Most of the extender recipes I have seen and used you do not follow the directions on the box of cake mix. Consider the cake mix as an ingredient.

I put all the dry ingredients into my mixer first and mix on low until it is all incorporated together. Then I dump in all my wet ingredients and mix until well blended.

If I decide to cream all the wet ingredients first then I add the dry ingredients to a different bowl and mix them together with a whisk first to incorporate all the dry ingredienets together and to eliminate any lumps. Then I add the dry ingredients a cup at a time mixing into the wet ingredients after each addition.

If your batter is thick, consider using a flower nail as a heating core to make sure it gets done all the way in the middle.

HTH! This is what I do and have had good luck with my cakes turning out even and done all the way through. I think using the extender recipe with the cake mix as an ingredient gives my cakes a baked from scratch taste and I always get compliments on how moist they are. icon_smile.gif

HTH

Bklyn_Babie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bklyn_Babie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #9 of 12

Hi!

I was actually just about to make a post on this forum to ask a similar question as the original poster.

My question is: How can I make box mix taste more 'homestyle' in the firm sense. Box mix tends to be very moist and fluffy, and I need to make a full sheet cake with 4 layers, and when I did a practice run, just box mix was too soft and the bottom layer got "squished" and it was just all wet and pudding-like after everything was done.

What is this 'extender' you guys are referring to that I can add? And will it make the cake more firm?

*sorry to hijack your thread*

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 12

My favorite chocolate cake is an extender recipe - Darn Good Chocolate (found in recipe section). It turns out perfect everytime and is moist and delicious and no one ever guesses that it is a boxed mix and if they don't ask I don't tell.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocilla

BTW - TexasSugar, love the new avatar!

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you all so much for sharing. I make my cake this weekend and it was great. I add the dry first and stired a little then pour everything else for the 2 to 3 mins.

It was wonderful and firm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%