Buttercream Disaster... Is It Salvagable? Please Advise.

Baking By RaquelR Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm by sillywabbitz

RaquelR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaquelR Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone.

I have made buttercream many times and this is the first time it was a disaster. Usually I make small batches at a time, but since I needed a huge bacth, i tried making it all together. I used the Wilton pure white buttercream icing recipe.

Well, I did one batch at a time but in the same mixing bowl with my mixer. Three batches later, the buttercream looks grainy andd liked whipped cream at the same time. Is it over or undermixed? Did I add too much water and corn syrup? Im making a wedding cake on sat so I am making it all early. Is it fixable or is the 2 pounds of sugar and shortening wasted?

My husband seems to think I was overconfident in my BC making skills, but i dont understand what happend! Please advise, Im in a pickle! Lol. Thanks so much.

Raquel

[img][/img][img][/img]
LL

6 replies
Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 7

I don't have any advice for you. But I wish you luck.

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 7

does it look like its seperating? if it does then you can add more sugar and mix the crud outta it!~thats what I did with mine. HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 7

Probably you can put the three batches together and mix it up w/o a problem.
It's hard to tell. I don't know the recipe you speak of so not sure. Anyone can mis measure ingredients. All it takes is being distracted for a second icon_smile.gif
I boubt it is overmixed. If anything it probably is undermixed. Have you put the batches together? Try mixing it more. Yes, I said moreicon_wink.gif I sometimes would mix on very low for up to 10 minutes after accidently getting stuck on the phone and left the mixer running. Found out it was sooooooo smooth I started doing it on purpose icon_smile.gif Just make sure there is enough icing to cover the beater(s) completely and use LOW speed.

RaquelR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaquelR Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 7

It does look a little like its separating. Its not all smooth and together like normal.

I did mix all the batches together. I even separated them and mixed them in two different batches. Maybe because its so much it needs to mix more?

I guess I can try to mix again... and if that doesnt work Ill start adding sugar! At this point it cant get any worse! LoL. Thanks so much!

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 7

good luck! thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 7

Did you clean the bowl between batches? If not it's possible remnants from the old batch crusted on the sides and then hot mixed into the new batch causing it to be grainy. Just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%