Melting Chocolate In Micowave A No -No?

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 7:31am by Bunsen

cakesrock Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:30am
post #1 of 10

Everytime I try to melt choc or Wilton candy melts in the microwave I get smoking and sparks - scary. My husband said that you are not supposed to do that (like I should have known) but I've never heard of this rule!
Anyone know why?? Is there a way to melt without the pain of the double boiler?

TIA1 icon_smile.gif

9 replies
artscallion Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:32am
post #2 of 10

What is it that's sparking and smoking? The chocolate itself? I have no experience with candy melts. But I melt chocolate in the microwave all the time.

artscallion Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:41am
post #3 of 10

Here is a good guide to melting chocolate in the microwave.

http://candy.about.com/od/workingwithchocolate/a/meltchocolate.htm

I think the most important thing to remember is to do it at 50% power and for short bits at a time so you don't over cook it. And you're not using a metal bowl by any chance, are you? That will cause sparking and smoking.

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:09am
post #4 of 10

Plastic or silicone MICROWAVE SAFE bowl, 50% power in short burst, stir every time the microwave stops--works like a charm with no chance of getting water vapor in it and having it seize.

Rae

Jeep_girl816 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:39am
post #5 of 10

What kind of bowl are you using? Chocolate or candy melts by themselves SHOULD NOT spark!

Mensch Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:44am
post #6 of 10

Dude, take it out of the foil package and put it in a plastic or glass bowl.

nancyg Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:16am
post #7 of 10

I melt chocolate and candy melts in microwave. Just like they say.....always 50% power and small amounts of time and stir inbetween

pj22 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:21am
post #8 of 10

I melt candy melts, chocolate, and chocolate chips in the microwave all the time. Use a plain glass bowl, a transparent one works the best. I don't even reduce the power to 50%. I just put it in for 10-20 seconds at a time, stir to see if they have melted, and put it back for 10-15 seconds more if needed.

I think the sparks could be from a metal-lined bowl that you are using in the microwave. Or maybe something's wrong with the appliance?

chocolatestone Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:19am
post #9 of 10

I had the exact same problem. Turned out it was a problem with the microwave itself. The unit inside the microwave (can't remember the name) that creates the actual heat wave was faulty. After it was replace I had not problem at all.

Bunsen Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 7:31am
post #10 of 10

Are you trying to melt a small quantity? I was defrosting a handful of frozen blueberries the other day and the same thing happened to me, after some research (thank you Google) I discovered this can happen if you have small quantities of a food and all the pieces aren't touching.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%