What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm by jenmat

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 10

My cake is baked, leveled and crumb coated. I have it the icing very smooth. I roll out my fondant to the right size, I cover my cake, make it look very smooth and put it to the side. The next day it's not smooth looking anymore. There are bumps, and cracks, etc. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this? Thank you for all your help.

9 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:04pm
post #2 of 10

How long are you letting it sit before you put the fondant on? You're cake might be settling.

kaddikakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 10

I let my cake settle overnight. I'm so afraid when I'm smoothing the fondant that I'm going to tear it, or something. And it feels like the icing underneath is squishing (for lack of a better term). When smoothing do I add more shortening to my smoother or do I use my dusting bag? When is enough smoothing?

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 1:21pm
post #4 of 10

After you ice it in buttercream, put it back in the fridge for a couple of hours. When it's really, really cold, the fondant seems to sit better. I always put it right back in the fridge after covering in fondant too. Are you keeping it cold or leaving it on the counter?

kaddikakes Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 10

Leaving it on the counter after covering. Also, I have been letting my cake sit out before I cover it in fondant. So you are suggesting that I put it in the fridge, then right before I want to cover it, take it out cover and put it back in. I will try that.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 10

Yep. I always let my cakes settle overnight (in the fridge if possible). Then fill & frost & chill for a few hours (usually overnight because I work during the day). Then cover in fondant & put back in the fridge until pickup/delivery. It always works for me! Hope this helps you!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 10

I do basically the same as greengyrl. The only difference is I leave it out overnight after I cover it with fondant. This gives it a chance to get to room temp. I figure it will get to room temp at the event anyway and I want to be able to see if any problems (bubbles, bulges, sagging, etc) show themselves at that temp. Then I can fix the issues before the cake is covered with decorations.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 10

Usually I let mine sit at room temp a while to settle, then chill again to firm it up - it makes fondant covering easier. I cover it in fondant and put it back in the fridge because the fondant will hold that shape better once it is out and comes back to room temp if it has had time to sit in that shape in the fridge - at least that's what has helped me. Though sometimes if I'm in a hurry (& if it's a free cake that I have little time to work on anyway) I may rush it and sometimes have a little bulging because of not letting it sit.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

...the fondant will hold that shape better once it is out and comes back to room temp if it has had time to sit in that shape in the fridge...

That makes sense, Renaejrk. I may have to experiment with that.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 10

what about covering it in ganache? That is my solution for the whole rippling/bulging thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%