Quick Question On Making A Fondant Bows & Stars

Decorating By marion123 Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 2:43am by tiggy2

marion123 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 13

How far in advance can I make the a large fondnat bows and fondnat stars? I have a big order of a small square cake that will have a fondant bow and fondnat stars on the cake and then I will also have 125 cupcakes that each one will have a fondant star on top of each cupcake.
The order is not sue until middle of Feb, but I want to be able to make as much as I can before hand, so Im not pulling a all nighter. What do you think?

Ps. Thank you!!

12 replies
tastyart Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 13

At least a week, maybe more. Maybe someone will give more specific info.

jammjenks Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 13

They'd even be fine if you made them now.

marion123 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 13

what is the best way to store them? thank you so much for the replies!!

tiggy2 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 13

You can make them anytime. Just DON'T put them in an airtight container and keep them out of direct sunlight.

tastyart Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 13

cover and keep them out of direct sunlight.

katystinykitchen Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 13

Personally, I would make them now just to save on time and have at least part of it done. icon_smile.gif I cut my fondant shapes out and put them on a cookie sheet and let them harden for a couple days then stick them in a container until I need them. Good luck!

LovetoShare Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marion123

How far in advance can I make the a large fondnat bows and fondnat stars? I have a big order of a small square cake that will have a fondant bow and fondnat stars on the cake and then I will also have 125 cupcakes that each one will have a fondant star on top of each cupcake.
The order is not sue until middle of Feb, but I want to be able to make as much as I can before hand, so Im not pulling a all nighter. What do you think?

Ps. Thank you!!

Quote:
Quote:

It's in the summer when the weather is humid that it is not a good idea to make them ahead of time. Just be sure that are in an area that is not moist such as mentioned here already - an air tight container. They should be find doing them now.

marion123 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 13

We're in New England and it is freezing here and I want the humid weather!! (Watch, in the summer, I'll be complaining about the heat and that I want the cold!!)

So, just so I am correct, I can make them now and put them in air tight container (tupperware) and keep them in a closet or my back room.

Also, I'm asumming I layer each one with wax paper correct?

Thank you again so much!

greengyrl26 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 13

Yep, I'd make them now. Let them dry for a week & then put them in a container.

sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 13

Leave the container open to air or they will get musty and soft and may even mildew. And yes put them in a dark place so they don't lose their color.

LovetoShare Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

Yep, I'd make them now. Let them dry for a week & then put them in a container.

I would leave them out and not in a container. I just put a piece/sheet of waxed paper over them or even a paper towel, so that there is no moisture and they stay clean and dry. Just make sure your surface is very flat because sometimes cardboards are not that quite flat. I am not comfortable with putting them in an air tight container or any covered container, but that is me. I would be careful, too, about layering them. However, once they are thoroughly dry, such as your stars, yes, you could layer them. I would just hate to see you do all that work and then some get warped because they are not laying perfectly flat. I have 12' of counter space and a pool table covered with formica in my workroom, so I do have lots of space for that type of project.

tiggy2 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:43am
post #13 of 13

NO AIRTIGHT CONTAINER! Your bow will soften and collapse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%