Quick Question On Making A Fondant Bows & Stars

Decorating By marion123 Updated 12 Jan 2010 , 2:43am by tiggy2

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 13

How far in advance can I make the a large fondnat bows and fondnat stars? I have a big order of a small square cake that will have a fondant bow and fondnat stars on the cake and then I will also have 125 cupcakes that each one will have a fondant star on top of each cupcake.
The order is not sue until middle of Feb, but I want to be able to make as much as I can before hand, so Im not pulling a all nighter. What do you think?

Ps. Thank you!!

12 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 13

At least a week, maybe more. Maybe someone will give more specific info.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 13

They'd even be fine if you made them now.

marion123 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 13

what is the best way to store them? thank you so much for the replies!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 13

You can make them anytime. Just DON'T put them in an airtight container and keep them out of direct sunlight.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 13

cover and keep them out of direct sunlight.

katystinykitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katystinykitchen Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 13

Personally, I would make them now just to save on time and have at least part of it done. icon_smile.gif I cut my fondant shapes out and put them on a cookie sheet and let them harden for a couple days then stick them in a container until I need them. Good luck!

LovetoShare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovetoShare Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:34pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marion123

How far in advance can I make the a large fondnat bows and fondnat stars? I have a big order of a small square cake that will have a fondant bow and fondnat stars on the cake and then I will also have 125 cupcakes that each one will have a fondant star on top of each cupcake.
The order is not sue until middle of Feb, but I want to be able to make as much as I can before hand, so Im not pulling a all nighter. What do you think?

Ps. Thank you!!

Quote:
Quote:

It's in the summer when the weather is humid that it is not a good idea to make them ahead of time. Just be sure that are in an area that is not moist such as mentioned here already - an air tight container. They should be find doing them now.

marion123 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 13

We're in New England and it is freezing here and I want the humid weather!! (Watch, in the summer, I'll be complaining about the heat and that I want the cold!!)

So, just so I am correct, I can make them now and put them in air tight container (tupperware) and keep them in a closet or my back room.

Also, I'm asumming I layer each one with wax paper correct?

Thank you again so much!

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 13

Yep, I'd make them now. Let them dry for a week & then put them in a container.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 13

Leave the container open to air or they will get musty and soft and may even mildew. And yes put them in a dark place so they don't lose their color.

LovetoShare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovetoShare Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:51pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

Yep, I'd make them now. Let them dry for a week & then put them in a container.

I would leave them out and not in a container. I just put a piece/sheet of waxed paper over them or even a paper towel, so that there is no moisture and they stay clean and dry. Just make sure your surface is very flat because sometimes cardboards are not that quite flat. I am not comfortable with putting them in an air tight container or any covered container, but that is me. I would be careful, too, about layering them. However, once they are thoroughly dry, such as your stars, yes, you could layer them. I would just hate to see you do all that work and then some get warped because they are not laying perfectly flat. I have 12' of counter space and a pool table covered with formica in my workroom, so I do have lots of space for that type of project.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:43am
post #13 of 13

NO AIRTIGHT CONTAINER! Your bow will soften and collapse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%