Omg! Really????? Help, Please.

Decorating By CakeDiosa Updated 1 Jan 2010 , 9:08pm by loopilu

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:59am
post #1 of 12

So......I'm in the throws of working on a seven tiered wedding cake that is 250 servings....been up since yesterday....(cake at night + kids during the day) and OF COURSE have made a bone headed mistake!!! (taking the order in the first place, you say? Yes, I concur!). Too much for me. This will be the first and last of such a huge order. Now I know my limit...but, I digress....

I used chocolate dobash filling (think sticky chocolaty pudding if you aren't familiar with it) to attach my 10" to the cake board. It's worked before for me but this is a new container so the dobash is extra smooth and OOFFFFF COOUURRSSEEE the f$#%$%$#%^%^ing tier slid right of the F$%$%$#%$#%ing cake board!
The bottom layer of the tier has a crack in it. It runs about halfway across the layer pretty much right in the middle. Also, the top layer of the tier had a tear that I had repaired (pulled it out of the pan too soon and about a 3" by 1" chunk of the top edge stuck to the pan). Well, thank goodness this cake isn't due until Saturday so there is time to rebake and reassemble it if need be but my question is this....

IS THIS TIER GOING TO HOLD UP OR WILL IT COMPLETELY FALL APART ONCE THE FONDANT IS ON? I'm using ganache and not buttercream under the fondant. Right now the cake is on a test run with the hubby who QUICKLY grabbed my son and vacated the kitchen at my request and who is now off to grab us a bite to eat. If it holds for the trip I figure it'll be okay..... or will it????

Thoughts???? Sleep deprivation has the best of me.....Ugh....
Do I have to redo this tier?

11 replies
Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 12

I have absolutely no advice for you as I am a completely rookie. but I do wish you the best of luck.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 12

I'd re-bake it. Why have the worry & fear nag you for several days?

If your dowel placement hits the crack or the repair, it could be a real problem.

I'd wrap it up, put it in the fridge, and have a nice cake for my family once the big one is delivered.

JMHO
Rae

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 12

I agree with Rae, since you do have time to redo. Good luck with it.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 4:00am
post #5 of 12

wow! Happy new year to YOU. Back in my walmart days I would slap together a broken cake and never flinch. THe icing must be made of cement.
But, fast forward to my early "on my own" days, and I can truly say that I have done EXACTLY what you are thinking about doing, and had failure all three times. Sorry to tell you that, but rebaking is the only option, especially for the bottom tier.
not only is support structure going to weaken that cake, but any vibration (say, a car ride anyone?) will eventually cause it to crumble. There may even be air bubbles that would form and balloon out when the crack separates.
Now, ganache will give you better odds, but I wouldn't take that bet if I were you. Best of luck!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 4:21am
post #6 of 12

Yep, I'd re-bake. It will just be less stress in the long run. I mean it would be the worst thing if you didn't and the cake collapsed and you knew you could have prevented it. Take advantage of the rare opportunity extra time ( stuff like this always happens to me around midnight, before the due date0 and bake a new bottom layer, it won't take too much extra time and the stress you save yourself from will be worth it many times overicon_smile.gif good luck!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 4:27am
post #7 of 12

Hmmm, your using ganache and will be come stiff as cement once put in the fridge. Let me ask you this, what exactly is your support system. SPS or wooden dowels? And am I also reading this right, the bottom tier is a 10"?

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 12

Grab this opportunity, re bake that layer while it cooling take a nap your stress level is way to high, you'll wind up with a domino effect . You might try chilling that cake as you fill it maybe the dobash will behave better and ganache will really harden up nice. Good Luck and happy New Year

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 12

My advice is to imagine the cake is for your wedding. And then ask yourself what you would do.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 12

Good luck with the cake and please let us all know how it turns out. And do try to get a quick nap.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 12

Better safe than sorry.. if I were you I'd redo.. the worst that happens if you redo is just that, you redo a layer. The worst that could happen if you don't is it completely falls apart during delivery, or worse, during the reception.

loopilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loopilu Posted 1 Jan 2010 , 9:08pm
post #12 of 12

im wishing you luck on your cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%