Best Cake For Wonder Mold Pan?

Decorating By joyfullysweet Updated 20 Apr 2012 , 8:31pm by kakeladi

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 13

I love the WASC recipe, but I know it has a long baking time and I'm worried the cake will be underdone in the wonder mold pan. Has anyone had success using WASC cake in the wonder mold pan? If so, about how long did you bake it and was it still at 325? If not, what recipes have you used?

12 replies
Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 13

I didn't use WASC, but mine took a really long time. BTW, how many servings are you supposed to get? I never have found that answer anywhere.

joyfullysweet Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 13

That's a good question. I'd like to know that too. I just looked at the product description on Wilton and didn't find anything.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 13

I used WASC in the wonder mold pan. I know it took a long time to bake, but I don't remember exactly how long. The cake came out with a really nice texture.

It didn't bake up very tall though, I was using it to make a rock for a mermaid to sit on so it was all right, but if I ever make one to be Barbie's skirt I will bake a round layer to put underneath it so that it looks proportionate.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 13

I used the chocolate variation on the WASC and overfilled the pan. I'm used to using 3" pans for layers and always overfill so I get the full 3 " after leveling. Did the same with the wondermold with the same results. It took a good while to bake as I remember it. Cake was delish and had a nice moist texture. I love all the WASC variations.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 13

I have baked WASC in the wonder mold pan and it was great. Cake was moist and delicious. It did bake a little longer than usual but I too can not remember what the baking time was.

joyfullysweet Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 13

Does anyone remember how many people they served with it? I'm just wondering if I should put a 10" under it.

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 13

I love the Mixed Berry Bundt cake recipe from the Williams-Sonoma website. It's fresh tasting with the 3 types of berries and full of flavor with added kirsch. It takes about an hour to bake.

I think I once measured the capacity of the wonder mold pan at 10 cups. That would be 2 cake mix boxes roughly (minus a couple cups for rise). Maybe then you could figure out the number of servings?

joyfullysweet Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 13

Ah, perfect. Thank you. And I would have only made a half WASC recipe! Oops! icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I used WASC in the wonder mold pan. I know it took a long time to bake, but I don't remember exactly how long. The cake came out with a really nice texture.

It didn't bake up very tall though, I was using it to make a rock for a mermaid to sit on so it was all right, but if I ever make one to be Barbie's skirt I will bake a round layer to put underneath it so that it looks proportionate.

This is exactly what I did for my most recent Princess Barbie cake. I just carved the bottom cake to match the bottom of the Wondermold cake and it worked beautifully. I used the WASC recipe that calls for oil (Rebecca Sutterby's version) and it came out perfectly.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 13

I never know how my WASC is going to turn out in the Wondermold. Sometimes it rises nicely with a good texture. Sometimes it collapses. Sometimes the top edge (wide end) is so hard, I need a jackhammer to cut through it.

So, I've resigned myself to just filling it a little past halfway and making an 8" round to finish it off.

karukaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karukaru Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 13

I think wilton says that it is 12 servings

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 8:31pm
post #13 of 13

Figure the # of servings on how may mixes are used. There are some older WonderMolds that actually use 2 mixes and the newer ones are smaller and only need one mix.
Each mix used yields 15-24 servings. The reason Wilton says it serves 12 is that they cut it in pie-wedge servings. If you slice the cake in 1/2 so it's not so tall and cut each 1/2 like one would a round you'll get more servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%