Need Gumpaste Christmas Tree Help

Decorating By LeeBD Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 1:01am by kakeladi

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 8

I had seen a couple of Christmas cakes here that have Christmas trees on the sides that look as though they were made with gumpaste and cookie cutters. One tree was cut with cutter, the other was cut with cutter and cut in half. It was put together to give the tree a 3D effect. Does anyone know how this was done? I have my trees cut out but am not sure how to secure the 1/2 tree to the whole tree. Hope this makes sense to someone, it's kind of hard to explain.[/b]

7 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 8

Use either Royal Icing in the same color as the trees or melted chocolate or candy melts. Just pipe or dot some down the side of the half tree and attach it to the middle of the whole tree, let it set up overnight or so and that should do it.

rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 8

Here is another idea. I used pointed ice cream cones upside down and used royal icing and a star tip to make the branches, here is the link to a photo (hope the link works) these were cut in half but the same idea. Hope that helps.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1292130

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 8

.........I have my trees cut out but am not sure how to secure the 1/2 tree to the whole tree. Hope this makes sense..........

Hon, you're thinking tooooo hard icon_smile.gif It is very simple.
As you described......leave one tree whole, & cut one right down the middle.
Take the cut one and pipe just a line of icing (or as suggested ^^^ use choco) on the cut edge. Now stick it at an angle to the whole one in the middle. Do the same w/the other cut piece, lining it up w/the other two, but at the other angle. Looking at the finished tree it would look much like a 'K" from the side.

LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 8

Do you think cookie icing would work as well as royal icing?

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:19am
post #6 of 8

Cool idea...will be trying this! Thanks!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:26am
post #7 of 8

You're so funny, kakeladi. I was having a difficult time picturing it myself--you detailed it nicely! Thanks, now I'm going to have to make the 3-d trees myself.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:01am
post #8 of 8

I'm not real familar w/cookie icing but I bet it would work. Does it dry hard to the touch"?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%