I Think I Am Addicted To Buying "cake Toys"

Lounge By pouchet82 Updated 19 Nov 2009 , 1:33am by Kims_cakes

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 30

It seems that every time I go to an online store, or into an actual store, I manage to convince myself that I "need" certain things. Like it will seriously improve my quality of life if I get this color luster dust, or this shape cookie cutter. I just got a bunch of gift certificates for my birthday and they are all spend and then some. Anyone else have this problem too?? icon_cool.gif

29 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 30

I got to say is an addiction..But i love it!
Edna icon_smile.gif

DanaMae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaMae Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 30

Totally addicted! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 30

OOoohhhh how I know what you are going thru. I am the same way and.........I don't even make cakes anymore!!!!!!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

OOoohhhh how I know what you are going thru. I am the same way and.........I don't even make cakes anymore!!!!!!!

Hahaha..yes...is all about the tools!..forget the cakes!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 30

Hi my name is Paula and I'm addicted to cake toys. The coupons don't help either because then I HAVE to find something to buy. But hey it could be worse. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 30

I am addicted too!! I have an entire kitchen cabinet devoted to cake "stuff." Just getting back into the cake decorating thing so I fear the addiction will only get worse. icon_smile.gif

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriLynn

I am addicted too!! I have an entire kitchen cabinet devoted to cake "stuff." Just getting back into the cake decorating thing so I fear the addiction will only get worse. icon_smile.gif

I'm so glad to read your post; I re-arranged my entire pantry,and it's a walk in.... just to accommodate all my new cake toys and supplies. My DH told me I needed a seperate room for all the new cake "stuff" I was buying. I guess CC is my new support group. Thank you!!!!!

DLo912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DLo912 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 30

Oh yes! Just went out and bought some more tubs for all of my "cake crap" as my DH so lovingly calls it. LoL. He's immensley supportive of my, let's say, caking habit, but he just hates that he gets bombarded by various caking tools whenever he opens a cabinet or closet. Next house? Oodles and oodles of cabinet space and a roooooomy pantry : )

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 30

haven,t used half i bought.. BUT.. i love them... and i also am addicted....

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 30

LOL! I think we probably all have a cake toy buying problem!!

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 30

I think we need to start a CTAA (Cake Toy Addict Anonymous) group! I am for sure going to join.

-- I stand before you all and say... Hello, my name is Theresa and I am a cake toy addict!

LOL!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 30

Ahhhh what I relief to know I'm not alone icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Some time ago someone told me---"you don't need to be an expert to make a pefect cake..it's all about the tools"... but of course the person that said that was the store owner where I was shopping icon_twisted.gif

I told my daughter the other day that if something ever happened to me to please DO NOT underestimate the value of my 'caking tools' there really is a fortune in there!!!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:06pm
post #14 of 30

mmmmm.... cake toys....

My DH claims I go from having a "toolbox" for each hobby all the way to a "room" for each hobby!

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:07pm
post #15 of 30

I am so glad you guys understand me! I just started decorating about 1 and 1/2 years ago, and I have already filled an entire walk in closet with "toys", and that does not include all the pans I have in every nook and cranny of my kitchen!
I have managed to convince myself that I need everything from "make your own moulds", I know that if I can make my own it will change my life. And let's be honest, can anyone live without twinkle dust??? I don't think I can!

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:14pm
post #16 of 30

AddictedI almost break the bank every month LOL Seriously though I have so much stuff it has its own room so I am in the midst of sorting and selling. DH needs some room HEHE.

MissSassyBuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSassyBuns Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:31pm
post #17 of 30

I'm right there with all of you! And now, after my truffle making classes, it's going to be a "Cake/Truffle Toy Addiction Annonymous" or The CTTAA or the "C to the doube T double A" icon_lol.gif SOunds like a good T-shirt!

scionmom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 8:41pm
post #18 of 30

ooohh.. Cakenutz what are ya sellin??? LOL

Rosie2 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm
post #19 of 30

Ehem...(clearing throat)..Cakenutz.... please don't say the word' selling...anything related to that words sends messages to my brain that says 'buy...buy...buy' and then my purse talks to me and says spend...spend...spend and then I hear a loud voice that tells me: Rosalinda life is short buy and enjoy!!!

You guys think I need help?? icon_cry.gif

BTW, please post pics of what you're selling it may very well be a 'tool I need' icon_biggrin.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:14pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scionmom

I think we need to start a CTAA (Cake Toy Addict Anonymous) group! I am for sure going to join.

-- I stand before you all and say... Hello, my name is Theresa and I am a cake toy addict!

LOL!

Haha, I was about to post the same thing. icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, this addiction is CRAZY!!! I mean, I need some new sweaters for the winter and I keep putting that off because I just bought TONS of new stuff from GSA. On top of that, I'm at my local cake shop literally once a week because I "need" a specific shade of gel color, or I just "need" another color of pearl dust. Just last night, I asked DH if I could get the Cricut on Black Friday and he gave me 'the look'. LOOL!

scionmom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #21 of 30

Yeah, it can get kinda bad here too!!! On my dh's bday a couple weeks ago, I told him he would have to wait a couple weeks for his bday because i had to go get some more cake tools... LOL. I really think I have a problem!!!

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #22 of 30

Haha, I was about to post the same thing. icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, this addiction is CRAZY!!! I mean, I need some new sweaters for the winter and I keep putting that off because I just bought TONS of new stuff from . On top of that, I'm at my local cake shop literally once a week because I "need" a specific shade of gel color, or I just "need" another color of pearl dust. Just last night, I asked DH if I could get the Cricut on Black Friday and he gave me 'the look'. LOOL![/quote]

Oh my goodness! Now I've logged on to the website you mentioned (GlobalSugarArt.com) and I'm getting that tingling sensation again. ha ha!! icon_eek.gif

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:37pm
post #23 of 30

LOL, is there a step beyond addiction, because I'm there, how about junkie icon_lol.gif And do you want to know who my main dealer is, you ladies and gentlemen here! Seriously, I would be nowhere with out you, but if I started listing all the stuff I have bought because someone told me about it here and the list never ends, just when I think, ok there can't be much more it just blows up again. Thank goodness I already had a Cricut E!! DH just asked what I wanted for Christmas and I said gift certificates to my places for cake stuff!

My current "gotta haves" most already on order:
Airbrush (never touched one)
Airbrush colors
Wedding Cake Design Pro (I don't even make Wedding Cakes)
Luster/Disco Dust
Full set of Square Magic Line Pans
Dragees
Sugarshack Fondant DVD (Just decided to dive into fondant)
PVC Pipe & big Vinyl Mat for fondant
Compressor
Sugarshack Stacking DVD
Projector
Butterfly Patchwork Cutters
Pasta Machine attachment

Insanity!! icon_redface.gificon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif Glad I'm not alone!

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 11:07pm
post #24 of 30

I too understand. We've been remodeling the kitchen. No longer used the bar stools so we extended the counter for all my cake pans. Didn't really use the desk so enclosed that area for large cake boards. Had a whole wall with just a table so added cabinets and shelves there too! It's all full already and we haven't even finished the shoe mould and draperies. My problem is that this hobby follows scrapbooking, sewing, smocking and jewelry making. I think I need a room for each hobby or I need to have a great big SALE.

Rosie2 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:45am
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine2581

I need to have a great big SALE.

Yikessss, you said the word 'SALE' again icon_cry.gif...LOL icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:59am
post #26 of 30

Is it bad when you go out to buy a gift for someone's special occasion (ummm, like, say, hubby's birthday) and come home with cake toys instead?

I have the disease - OCCTSD: Obsessive Compulsive Cake Toy Shopping Disorder. I've discovered that my cake friends in the area have it, too. We're pathetic - not only do we convince ourselves we need more things but we convince each other that we need more toys when we haven't even used half of the ones we have!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:19am
post #27 of 30

I have a rule for myself that I can't buy anything new until I've used everything I've bought, other than cookie cutters. It's not as much fun that way but I do remember everything I've got and know what it's good for.

Here are some things that y'all may not even know you need yet because they're not obvious as cake tools:

scrapbooking punches
unmounted clear acrylic stamps

And there are tons of them to collect icon_biggrin.gif just watch out when you buy scrapbook punches, that they make cutouts and not popups. There are some that don't cut the shape all the way out and those are useless for cake.

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:20am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenutz

AddictedI almost break the bank every month LOL Seriously though I have so much stuff it has its own room so I am in the midst of sorting and selling. DH needs some room HEHE.

Yes, lets start a forum for your sale! I would buy! (yes I have the addition too) LOL

icalise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icalise Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #29 of 30

[quote="Texas_Rose"]I have a rule for myself that I can't buy anything new until I've used everything I've bought, other than cookie cutters. It's not as much fun that way but I do remember everything I've got and know what it's good for.quote]

That's a great rule! 1. That would keep the purchasing down 2. As you said, remember the what you have 3. Practice and learn more. Yes, i love that!

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:33am
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBUGZY1

Hi my name is Paula and I'm addicted to cake toys. The coupons don't help either because then I HAVE to find something to buy. But hey it could be worse. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Sometimes I feel guilty if I let a 50% off coupon go to waste! The local cake shop knows me and my kids. I am there at least once a week!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%