Cover Your Boards Or Not?

Decorating By connie0603 Updated 10 Nov 2009 , 2:58pm by Jeff_Arnett

connie0603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie0603 Posted 8 Nov 2009 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 17

Help, I don't want to get anyone poisoned...do you always cover the boards for tiers? Or can you just put the cake direct on the white side of the board. I have always covered them, but now I am going to have to cut the board after I carve it and of course that will cut the paper and leave a tattered edge. What is the best way to do this please?

16 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:50am
post #2 of 17

I never cover my cardboard. The kind that I buy are food safe.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:38am
post #3 of 17

The best way to accomplish what you are wanting to do, IMO, is to have your cardboard or foamcore cut into the desired shape BEFORE carving out your cake. That's what I do.

If you use cardboard cake circles, they do not need covering. If you use foamcore board, you will need to cover the board with Glad Press 'n Seal.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie0603

Help, I don't want to get anyone poisoned...do you always cover the boards for tiers? Or can you just put the cake direct on the white side of the board. I have always covered them, but now I am going to have to cut the board after I carve it and of course that will cut the paper and leave a tattered edge. What is the best way to do this please?

Save yourself the time and trouble and order premade foam core boards. They are available in pretty much any size or shape you need and come pre-covered with a water and grease-proof FDA approved styrene covering. Check these out:

http://store.foamboardsource.com/cake-boards.html

Cakepro Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 1:48am
post #5 of 17

She said she is CARVING the cake...with the implication being that it will be a non-standard shape.

Are you even supposed to be promoting your business here?

Jeff_Arnett Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:04am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

She said she is CARVING the cake...with the implication being that it will be a non-standard shape.

Are you even supposed to be promoting your business here?

Not promoting my business...that's just a company that I order from and their products are quite good.

You seem to have a problem with me....and I don't even know you....so what gives?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 2:15am
post #7 of 17

Jeff did post a LOOOOOONG time ago about some good quality foam core boards and if anyone was interested. He was NOT promoting his' busniess as it isn't his. It's just a company that makes a quality product and he was sharing to help others.

Cakepro Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:26am
post #8 of 17

Coo dat!

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 3:36am
post #9 of 17

I normally dont cover my boards either, but i think that it looks like a great site to order from! To my favorties it goes! Thanks so much Jeff!! thumbs_up.gif

connie0603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie0603 Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:33am
post #10 of 17

I am talking about odd shapes, a car in peticular. But I do like the website you directed me to for standard cakes Jeff.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 3:06am
post #11 of 17

In ten years I have never covered a board and have no plans to start.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:15am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie0603

I am talking about odd shapes, a car in peticular. But I do like the website you directed me to for standard cakes Jeff.

Even if you need an odd shape, those boards are good to cut the shape from...and it needs no further covering.

A good sharp exacto knife will help gert clean edges.....foam board dulls blades quickly, so you have to change often.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:36am
post #13 of 17

I cover my cardboard cake circles all the time. I just don't like the fact that it touches the cake directly.

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 4:49am
post #14 of 17

1) Are these like cardboard (corrugated between 2 thin outer waxed layers) or are they the type of board that comes in 3/16" and 1/2" (20" x 30" Elmers?), in a variety of different colors that people usually use as display boards for school/work projects?

2)I have a hot knife (kit from Michael's?) and wonder if there's something better to cut this foam board with.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 12:09pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delynn

1) Are these like cardboard (corrugated between 2 thin outer waxed layers) or are they the type of board that comes in 3/16" and 1/2" (20" x 30" Elmers?), in a variety of different colors that people usually use as display boards for school/work projects?

2)I have a hot knife (kit from Michael's?) and wonder if there's something better to cut this foam board with.

These are like the Elmer's foamboard...they come either 3/16 or 1/2 inch thick...however, UNLIKE the Elmer's boards, these have an FDA approved grease and waterproof styrene coating on both sides so they do not have to be covered with anything else.

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:50pm
post #16 of 17

So if I wanted to use Elmer's foam board (since I already have a couple), what should I cover it with that would be inexpensive?

Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 2:58pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delynn

So if I wanted to use Elmer's foam board (since I already have a couple), what should I cover it with that would be inexpensive?

If you want it as a base board, foil or Wilton's Fancy Foil are good, or you can use the shiny side up of freezer paper or butcher's paper. Some people on the board use the Glad Press n' Seal wrap, but I haven't tried that one yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%