Foam Core Versus Cake Boards

Decorating By wildwolves Updated 17 Jan 2013 , 5:25am by shebaben

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:23pm
post #61 of 77

Yes it does cut cleaner than an exacto knife... but you have to have a decently steady hand, so as not to have shakey edges. no more chunks of foam on the sides of the board!

Marbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marbs Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:07pm
post #62 of 77

I've been reading this thread about the foam boards and perhaps I missed this. Can I place the cake directly on the foam board or do I cover it? Thanks!

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:15pm
post #63 of 77

I cover my cake boards with freezer paper, shiny side up.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:02am
post #64 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwolves

Hi everyone..
Just wondering what everyone prefers to use... I have only ever used cakeboards between layers and MDF for the base board.
I'm not quite sure how foamcore supports the cake.. and do you cover it to make it food safe?
Do you use it just like you use a cake board between layers and then MDF for the base board?
Sorry for all the questions but i just have no idea about foamcore... icon_confused.gif

I use 1/2 inch foamcore bases and 3/16 inch between tiers....works wonderfully!

Buy them pre-made with FDA approved, water and grease-proof coating at www.foamboardsource.com click cakeboards in the left hand navigation.

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:37am
post #65 of 77

I am on my way to Hobby Lobby tomorrow to check out this foamcore!
Thank you!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:51pm
post #66 of 77

I have found a wonderful alternative, and I vow to never use foam-core again!

Hobbylobby sells plastic cake rounds, the brand is 'baking essentials' and they come in every size. No cutting! I buy those and glue two together. The dowel goes through just fine icon_razz.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:49pm
post #67 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

I have found a wonderful alternative, and I vow to never use foam-core again!

Hobbylobby sells plastic cake rounds, the brand is 'baking essentials' and they come in every size. No cutting! I buy those and glue two together. The dowel goes through just fine icon_razz.gif

They are also called "tuff boards"....I've seen them at a number of cake suppliers.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:30pm
post #68 of 77

if anyone has a Dollar Tree Store near them, check for foamcore there. Mine carries it regularly in the school supplies section. a huge sheet for only a buck...very cost effective if you ask me icon_lol.gif I just bought a sheet of it to use for my daughter's cake this coming week. they only have one thickness, the half inch size, but i figure i can always double it up and glue it together for the base. on the covering note: i use tissue paper, since it's easier to fold than regular paper, you can get it in several colors (also at $ tree lol) and then i cover it with cling wrap. works really well and you dont have a bulky edge. thumbs_up.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:28pm
post #69 of 77

Speaking of dollar-tree. Mine had rolls and rolls of contact paper for 25 cents!! All kinds of different patterns too.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:43pm
post #70 of 77

After watching Sharon's Successful Stacking DVD awhile back, I use foam core under all tiers & a Masonite cake drum as the base. Knock on wood. . . Hasn't failed me yet!

Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:34pm
post #71 of 77

Speaking of dollar-tree. Mine had rolls and rolls of contact paper for 25 cents!! All kinds of different patterns too.

Mikomomof4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikomomof4 Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:22pm
post #72 of 77

foam boards that i saw at craft store was a thick slab that was not covered with a smooth paper. it was thick but rough on both sides. how do you prep that for a cake? or is it the wrong type of board?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 1:38pm
post #73 of 77

Wrap it in fancy-foil or freezer paper.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Apr 2012 , 4:40pm
post #74 of 77

I melt edible soy wax or beeswax and coat the board surface with it. Easy & cheap.

Rae

BCWishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCWishes Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 3:13am
post #75 of 77

AI am learning sooooo much from you!!!! You're awesome-all of you!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 4:13am
post #76 of 77

For those of you suggesting the dollar store and any other store where things are on a shelf being touched by who knows who with who knows what germs on their hands, in addition to the wonderful sanitizing suggestions above, I would also suggest buying them in bulk from a supplier. Chances are, only one person touched those before being shipped to you.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 5:25am
post #77 of 77

Absolutely foam core for ANY heavy cake!!! I use 1/2 " for the base, covered with cake foil, and don't have to worry about someone else picking it up and having it crack in the middle because the regular cake cardboard flexed!  It cuts easily with a utility knife. The only problem I've had is that it often makes the cake too big for the standard box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%