Fondant Question

Decorating By lizap Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 10:02pm by snocilla

lizap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizap Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 7

So, on the weekend, I attempted to use some homemade fondant for my very first time...It didn't turn out quite as planned. When I went to go wrap it on to the cake, it kept sticking to my rolling pin, and to the board I was using...does anyone know why this happened? I am going to attempt to use fondant again towards the end of the month for my daughter's bday cake, so I don't want this to happen again. I had to actually wrap it on the cake, in pieces, which didn't look as flawless.

Help!

6 replies
grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 7

Please tell us what recipe you used.

It sounds like maybe there wasn't enough sugar worked in, or too much liquid used. Also, adding a lot of certain types of food coloring can make it sticky.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 7

If it was still sticky it probably needed to have more powdered sugar worked in. Was it humid while you were working with it? You can also try a small fan or a dehumidifier when working with fondant.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 7

I use cornstarch to prevent sticking.

lizap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizap Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 7

This is the recipe I used... I got it off this site... I even made a second batch, but this time, I couldn't even use it... it was really runny. Needed to make double the batch, so I used two bags of powdered sugar instead of one, and it still was really runny. I had to throw it out. The first batch I used, was good, but it was just sticking to everything...

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 7

Did you dust the surface as well as the area that will touch the rolling pin?

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 7

How big was the bag of marshmellows? It says one bag but I'm willing to bet it meant one 8 oz bag. I can never find 8oz bags anymore, only 10.5 oz. That could be the problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%