Laundry Gals - Where Are You?

Lounge By jlynnw Updated 23 May 2010 , 7:27am by favrtdtr

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 9:52pm
post #121 of 166

Congratulations! I am so glad we live far apart! We would both be in so much trouble kidnapping all these precious little ones, it would look bad icon_redface.gif

I have another big cake comming up and am overwhelmed by it already. It will be a 16, 12, and 8 squares with the rounds cut in half at each ends to make an oval, a castle on top in RKT and a dragon. I am not sure what to make the dragon out of. Any thoughts? I hate going to the main forums any more. Why would you agree to make this cake if you have no idea how to do it? What are you CHARGING for this cake and let that determine what you do. They don't read the little details like I am making this for a friend and not charging. The idea is mine to begin with as I was given a theme to go with and total control from then on. UGHHH.... I don't know, I think I just get annoyed too easily. Anywhoo, thanks.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 11 Jan 2010 , 10:06pm
post #122 of 166

Every cake I agree to make I don't know how to do it!!

I make all my figures out of RKT covered in fondant. I am positive you will do fine.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:06am
post #123 of 166

Wait a tic

A 8" square 32 servings
12" square 72 servings
16" square 128 servings
Plus half rounds of each size on both sides soo

A 8" round 24 servings
12" round 56 servings
16" round 100 servings
That equals a WHOPPING 412 servings!!! icon_confused.gif Are they insane? How many guests are there gonna be??? Even if you don't follow Wilton's Serving guide and cut "hunks" of cake you are going to have over 200 hunks of cake! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Holy cake Batman I would be over whelmed too!!!

sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 12:14am
post #124 of 166

Remember when ( I think I told you gals) my neighbor was in the Hospital and I watched her dog which turned into dogs because she was watching one for a friend who was out of town...? Well come see what she did...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-664744-0.html

jlynnw Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 3:47am
post #125 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

Wait a tic

A 8" square 32 servings
12" square 72 servings
16" square 128 servings
Plus half rounds of each size on both sides soo

A 8" round 24 servings
12" round 56 servings
16" round 100 servings
That equals a WHOPPING 412 servings!!! icon_confused.gif Are they insane? How many guests are there gonna be??? Even if you don't follow Wilton's Serving guide and cut "hunks" of cake you are going to have over 200 hunks of cake! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Holy cake Batman I would be over whelmed too!!!

Yeah, you got the numbers right. He is a youth minister and turning 40. They are doing a real big party with all past and present youth. He goes to a LARGE church and is loved by all. I hope I have ENOUGH cake.

Love the KA. You are very blessed.

sadsmile Posted 12 Jan 2010 , 2:42pm
post #126 of 166

Hmmm a Youth Minister and a dragon... maybe holding a sword as in Sword of The Spirit and holding a Bible open? RKT with modeling chocolate or fondant over it. You can stick skewers into it to hold wings RKT is pretty sturdy if you make it stiff.

jlynnw Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:11am
post #127 of 166

OK, I have officially lost my mind. I am now the store manager of the place I quit a while back. The owner called me this morning and asked to talk with me. I just got back from Starbees, coffee and all, and a job. AM I CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYY? I think half the crew will walk out in support of the old system and I am scared to death. I also just found out I may have breast cancer and need treatment. is this really what I need right now???? Ugh! I am so excited in a stupid way. Just had to share!

sadsmile Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:33pm
post #128 of 166

Oh I hope if you do have cancer that it was caught early and you have a successful treatment! You will be in my thoughts and prayers! I have spots showing up, skin cancer runs in my family and I am scared to go to the doctor to find out. My kids need to go to the dentist first. Great news on the job! It's fun being in charge some of the time... it's a pain too, but really nice to be able to tell others what needs to happen.
And when are you supposed to have time to make that ginormous cake?
My oldest daughter is turning 13 in less then 3 weeks and we are trying to put together a party here at the house. Music dancing, fun and games and food and CAKE! I have to plan her cake and order what I need like ASAP or I won't have time to make it. I don't know what she wants. She likes the play of light and dark and stuff sticking off a cake going up the layers and she wants colorful. She wants something swirly and funky. It would so be easier if there was a theme. OMG she wants like 40 friends over. They won't all show up right? I have to make a plan.

jlynnw Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:54pm
post #129 of 166

OMG, sadsmile That sounds like a fun cake. I can see a topsy turvy in real wild colors, stark contrast and not at all clown or circus like but bold colors. Maybe a frosted eggplant purple, neon blue, lime green/yellow, toss in some black. I see big swirls done in gumpaste that have firmed up for the sides of the cake to pop off from the cake and swirlly twirlly topper. How old will your daughter be?

OK, my cake is due next Friday and the party is here. There has been some drama with his party and the plans. Originally it was for 250 - 300 and being held up at the church (ya know, a large building for the planned guests) Not sure, but it has been down sized and I am hosting it. I am so excited but nervous. However, they do NOT want to downsize the cake??? OK, I so do not know about this.

What good will healthy teeth do your kids if you die of cancer because you won't go and have it checked? You need to be there for them and some times that means that your needs go first. This is one of those times. I say this in love and as a mom and friend. It sucks to have your kids go without but to lose you will be a bigger injustice to them. I will keep you in prayer

Carson Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 3:53pm
post #130 of 166

I'm sending good vibes your way ~~~~ jlynn and sadsmile!! ~~~~ I do not want to hear about a Cancer diagnosis, I'm hoping it is nothing more than a scare.

Busy week for me! I became an Auntie again, a little girl, only 5lbs so she is pretty teeny tiny cute! My Mom gets surgery today, so she is unable to look after my sister's other 2 kids, so its all me. Working and then running to pick up 5 kids all over town, feed them supper, etc etc...Oh well, life will get back to normal and then I will be bored!

sadsmile Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 5:57pm
post #131 of 166

13 going on know it all, controlling 30.
I so don't think I am ready to tackle a topsy yet. It would be awesome but I think I want to try one first when it is just for fun for us ya know. I am still learning everything I do for every cake I've done... They have all had "firsts" on them LOL

I thought about the swirls and stuff maybe paisley type swirls and things done on toothpicks that I can stick into the cake here and there and a flower or three. She wants it to swag up the cake, thicker at the bottom and thinner at the top to stuff on the top. Not sure about putting her name on it or not, but definitely a big 13. She wants like pastel aqua or purple and then the stuff in bright and dark colors, magenta, lime green, dark purple, teal, silver maybe a touch of yellow, but all of it shimmery, shiny, glittery and sparkly... yada yada. I'd like to do a three tier, 8, 6, 4 with a funky topper. I think I had better get out the gum paste and get started this coming week.

I hadn't thought of it that way... I always think kids first. But that is thinking of them first in the long run and the most important way.

Oh Carson you definitely have your hands fun! AS a mom of 4 and their friends are always around...LOL I soo know what you are up to today! I wish you much joy and laughter and patience!!

jlynnw Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:19pm
post #132 of 166

Congratulations Carson! I loved being an Auntie. I know you can handle the extra kiddos for a short time. You may be exhausted but you can do it.

Sadsmile, I can picture the cake in my head now. I like those colors. Really dark, brights, and glitterzie shimmerie fun. I can't wait to see how you do it. Have a great time.

OK, so I started yesterday, a bit earlier than planned, but OK. I put in 14 hours and needed to do more. The paperwork that needed to have been done for the past 2 weeks is all in a box, piles and piles of it. It is like a scene out of a movie for an accountant to do a bachelors (disorganized) tax returns. We were OUT of more products than we had in. Mad dashes to Sam's and Wally World in hopes of making it thre to monday. We can only get things here on Monday's. OH, what did I do???

sadsmile Posted 22 Jan 2010 , 1:37pm
post #133 of 166

You can't be held responcible for the mess someone else left behind. Just get through and then make a massive order for the products needed that people in the area order and ask for but youare out...LOL I hate hearing, "Sorry we're out of that."

sadsmile Posted 26 Jan 2010 , 12:57am
post #134 of 166

OK We finally have an invitation done. here is a looky loo at the background of it... This is what I have to work with for inspiration for Hannah's cake.
LL

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:57am
post #135 of 166

Hello laundry gals,
Sorry it's been awhile since I've been on. I see there are some new gals joining in. Hopefully I can come by and post at least once in a while!

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:37pm
post #136 of 166

Hi Gals - just wanted to say hello and I'm alive. I will now go back and read everything since I was here last to catch up - then I got some stuff to tell ya about....the soap opera that is my life continues......

sadsmile Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:46pm
post #137 of 166

I am soo tired!!! Uhhhg.
Like IDK 100 little gum paste dohickies and swirls, numbers, flowers and butterflies, 3 batches of MFF, six recipes of fudge swirl cake, and a huge batch of butter cream, decorating the house like a Dance Club, putting up lights, 100 strands of streamers. I have to stack and fill and fondant and decorate- Oh crap I haven't even dusted the dohickies yet! Then I have to keep up with the kids, the laundry, dinners and clean the whole house by Saturday evening. I am so not used to being this active... I usually sit in here and talk LOL Give me strength!
And I keep having to pack my cake toys up and put them away to keep little fingers from ruining my hard work. Sigh. I can't tell you how many times I have had to stop mid project and clean up only to drag it all back out again to try and finish it.
And I was soo lazy and tired I copied and pasted this from my email to in here and in a PM.

sadsmile Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:38am
post #138 of 166

OK where are you guys? All snowed in? I have come back from the land of party- I have a 13 year old now YIKES!

favrtdtr Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:56am
post #139 of 166

I have really spotty internet - haven't finished catching up. Hope all is well and the birthday party went well....i miss you guys!!

Carson Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:03pm
post #140 of 166

I'm still around a bit, but I haven't done many cakes (until this week) so I haven't been checking in often. It takes a whole lot of snow to get us Manitobans snowed in! lol

Hope everyone is well and will come back when I have more time.

jlynnw Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #141 of 166

new job is kicking my butt. Just got a chance to pop in and say hi! I will come back and catch up soon!

sadsmile Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:59pm
post #142 of 166

It's good to see you guys back in here!
Have fun Carson!
jlynnw I want to see your dragon cake!
Thanks fav it went as well as could have gone...
the day after Hannah handed out her invites another brat from school decided to have her second( yes 2nd!!!) b-day party on the same day as Hannah's to steal guests because her first party wasn't enough for her. What kind of people do that? I was soo mad. Hannah's party had only a fraction of who she invited as some when to the other party and got stuck there-bored!...and about 7 others when out of town with their parents for various things and family events. But Hannah's party rocked and was all the talk. The kids who chose the wrong party were just sitting around watching TV and super bored and were wishing they had come to Hannah's party. They won't miss the next one I guarantee. We had Black lights, disco lights, strobe lights, glow in the dark bracelets and necklaces and the whole ceiling done in paper streamers and balloons and LOUD music -all their favorite dance songs, and of coarse a fantastic cake! It was such a great time. We had a couple girls stay with us over the weekend and they are begging to come back this weekend...LOL

jlynnw Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:54pm
post #143 of 166

I am too embarassed to even post a picture of the cake. It did not get finished! It was awful. I cried over it like you have no idea. I was up until 2 every night with it and at work at 8 a.m. His wife came over to "help" and made more of a mess. Muggles have no idea. Wet fondant on dry gumpaste makes a mess. You do not wash luster dust brushes in water but corn starch. Brand new brushes all have gunkies in the ferrels and track now. I just kinda gave up on it. They said it tasted great. I guess that should help.

The job is a bit rough. They terminated the manager and assistant manager. Well, not quite that rough. They were told what to expect and how things were going to be and the did the Florida University to them and walked, took 5 of the crew. They have tried to overwhelm us with business and slander us. It has been fun. The one night they planned a rush on the store an told a crew member. We were ready and had record sales. I have no idea what they thought would happen. Working with teens is an adventure and full of daily drama.

Glad the party went well. Sometimes a brat needs to be put in her place and the kids who follow her as well. It is not always the rich popular kids tht have the best parties and are the hit of "season" I am glad you daughter was able to experience this and hope she learned her true friends are worth the world.

sadsmile Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:10pm
post #144 of 166

Oh sorry to hear about the cake.. we all have our disaster though so don't feel too bad. I was in a hurry once to make a cake and the new mouce recipe I was experimenting with at the time had not set and I forgot to level the cake-DOH! OK so I had made a sheet cake and cut it in half and filled and stacked it. SO I tuned around to rinse my spatula and I hear, "plOp!" I turned back around to see the top had slide right off onto the floor. It was like cake soup, but at least it tasted good. I thought about taking a picture, but I was mortified and thought I'd never get over it enough to laugh at the stupid mistakes. Wrong- I could so use that to laugh at now and so could you... it was pretty darn funny. Especially when my hubby was watching and was all, " Yeah Mrs. Chef wants to make wedding cakes for a living huh?"

Really I always wash my brushes and then blot them dry and then blow dry them. It helps to lay them on a paper towel at an angle with the brush tip down so water doesn't travel up into the barrel and get stuck and loosen the bristle glue and ruin the brush. I do the same for my makeup brushes... baby shampoo is the best thing to wash brushes with-just a drop.

sadsmile Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:14pm
post #145 of 166

Oh and her friends all had the best time and kept telling her that her mom is awesome... he he.

And the "Brat" got caught adjusting her toilet paper boobies in school on Tuesday. I don't think she'll ever live that down. ROFL. poor kid she must be awfully insecure to do the things she does. It's actually sad and she probably doesn't have the parental support she needs. Parents who don't care and let kids hang out at their house till the wee hours of the AM- boys too- and NOT WATCH them. Nuts.

favrtdtr Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #146 of 166

Wow Jlynn - that sounds tough but I'm glad you were able to get through it with such grace and humor. I hope things get easier for you.
Sadsmile - glad the party was such a success even if the brats did try to hurt your daughter. Sounds like she totally won in the end.

My ex landlord - crazy lady fired my older sister and kicked her out at the end of this month. She waited until I had left and so had my parents....so she's there all alone. Stupid withch! My parents are leaving Texas and going to pick her up....grrrr

I still haven't gone back and read everything so if I've missed anything important, PLEASE tell me again. I should be able to keep up again at this point. I have some scary news for you ladies - I have stage three thyroid cancer. It's a rare and particularly agressive strain and I will be traveling back and forth between my home and Portland (Maine) several times a week for treatment starting next week. What sucks the most about all that driving is that my younger sister doesn't have her license, so I have to do it all myself....ugh. Ok, enough whining - sorry about that.

jlynnw Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:19am
post #147 of 166

Favs Happy Birthday. I missed it.

I am so sorry about the cancer. No you will NOT be able to drive alone. You will have to find some help. Been there done that. Please don't try and go it alone. We are all here and willing to lend an ear and do what we can. I am in TEXAS and can't do much driving right now, but I can pray like nothing you've seen before.

OK, you M&D are in Texas and getting sis. Where abouts are they.

OK, off to bed. The whole crew called in "sick" today and I pulled a triple. Tired cranky and ready for bed. I get to start again in 8 hours.

favrtdtr Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:42pm
post #148 of 166

Jlynn - thanks for the birthday wishes - much appreciated. icon_smile.gif I will have to drive alone - either that or don't get treatment...that's my reality these days. Thanks for the prayers...I need them. Mom and Dad are somewhere near Corpus...that's all I know. They're in their motorhome and staying in a campground but I don't remember the name of the town - rockport or something like that I think. Sorry about your crew calling out sick and you having to do so much - that really sucks. Good luck tomorrow girl!!

sadsmile Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #149 of 166

Judi, No no no NO! Stomping foot and jumping up and down sulking. That's not fair! I am so sorry you are having to go through this. So sorry and mad. Why does difficult and hard stuff always happen to the nicest people! You are in my thoughts and prayers! Isn't there someone in Maine you could stay with for a day after each treatment? I wonder if someone in here would open their home to a Sugar Friend in this time of need. I can't bare to think of you enduring those treatments and then driving so far. I wonder if the Hospital can keep you over since you don't have any care givers near by and your lil sis can't drive yet.

favrtdtr Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:50pm
post #150 of 166

Thanks sadsmile.... i want to agree that it's not fair, lol. I found out yesterday that the first thing they want to do is surgery and then chemo....i have a friend who will pick me up after the surgery - she can do a one day thing but not several times a week that the chemo's gonna take at first. Mom's talking about flying up here and driving me around..not sure i like that any better than driving myself. In this 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house would be me, my sister, her two sons, and my mother...not a pretty picture at all!! Oh and to clarify things - my sis is only 1 year younger than me - she just lost her license for being incredibly stupid and dangerous and getting two oui's in the same night. I'm glad they took her license!! She's eligible to get it back now but she has to finish paying off her fines.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%