Cake Balls

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 12:02am by auntginn

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:27am
post #1 of 57

Okay so tried making cake balls but when I tried covering them in chocolate they fell apart. What am I doing wrong?

56 replies
badylugs80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badylugs80 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #2 of 57

they are too moist. If they are too moist they will fall apart...add less liquid or icing to ypur crumbs. you can also stick them in the fridge for a minute...not too long or it will crack your chocolate when it hardens.

learningtodecorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learningtodecorate Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 57

You have to put the balls in the freezer to frim up before putting them in chocolate.

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:48am
post #4 of 57

When you mix your cake and icing or whatever binder you are using, form them and put them in the fridge or freezer long enough for them to set up.

I take mine from the fridge when I have everything ready, chocolate melted and wax paper for them to set up on.

Dip them and let them set up on the wax paper and they should be good...

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:09am
post #5 of 57

Another good hint I got when I first started making cake balls was that the consistancy of the "dough" (cake and frosting) should be like cookie dough. That helped me know I had the right amount of binder in the mix. Also freezing the cake balls before dipping helps enormously!!! I just spent the afternoon making cake balls icon_smile.gif!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #6 of 57

I made them once, and they looked gorgeous after I dipped them in chocolate.......but they were soggy wet the cake was too moist I guess..........we hated them, I have not revisited them since..I used wasc maybe thats why it sucked

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:34am
post #7 of 57

Hmmm...I had all these problems, chocolate cracking, falling apart. But I've seen some really pretty ones. I might have to try them again for the holidays.

kaddikakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:01am
post #8 of 57

Is there a ratio of cake to icing or whatever you use in the cake balls? I will try putting them in the freezer after forming before coating with choc. Thanks for the help. Keep it coming.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 57

I just about get up enough nerve to make these things - I have been saving my cake scraps and then I read this stuff and YIKES - I go right back into hibernation.

So does the chocolate crack if you freeze them first or not? Do you freeze them solid or for just a half an hour or so - like hard on the outside to the touch or should I say firm?

I have read that BC with cake is too sweet to use something else as the binder - like liquid coffee creamer. Then there is the problem of what to dip them in - melted chocolate chips, melted chocolate candy disks, bulk chocolate? What is best?

I so want to do these. Cake Ball experts where are you?

craftermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftermom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 57

I make these quite often. My ratio is about 1 cup of icing to one baked cake mix. I use my mixer to make sure the cake and icing are completely mixed. (also add chips, nuts, etc. at this point IF I want to) I used to freeze them and dip them immediately BUT they would always crack so I now just put them in the frig. (covered) for awhile (at least an hour) and pull a few out at a time to dip. No more cracked cake balls! Be sure to take out a few at a time; otherwise, they aren't firm anymore and will give you problems as you dip them. These are fun to make and yummy to eat!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 57

I have to chime in here, too. My first experience with cake balls did not leave fond memories. I was going to try again, when my daughter said "They were awful. Why would you try again?" The first time they were a bit slimey...I used a can of frosting to 1 1/2 carrot cakes. I think it was just too much. Even freezing didn't help, since they had to be kept frozen to keep their shape, and then were too frozen to eat. However, when I see the gorgeous creations people come up with, I can't help but think that persevering will provide great results. I am inspired to try again!! Eventually, I will succeed.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 57

My session with cake balls went like this....keeping in mind that i only wanted small ones (mouth size icon_lol.gif )

Crumble 1 x 7 inch round Chocolate Mud Cake into bowl.
Add 3 level tablespoons of chocolate Ganache...with 4 drops of pure orange oil added.
With gloved hands - combine, combine and combine some more.
Take heaped teaspoon of mixture and roll into a ball.
Line all little balls on oven bake paper.
Place in fridge for day and a half

Melt chocolate -
Have fondue forks at the ready -
Have baking tray lined with oven bake paper ready -
Remove COLD cake balls from fridge.
Stab a ball with fondue fork - dip in chocolate
Lift out of chocolate -
Give gentle tap on side of bowl
Place on paper lined tray.

Leave all little chocolate covered cake balls on baking paper for 2 hours.
When ready to leave home - transfer to appropriate serving platter -

Best tip i can offer....
Melt chocolate in microwave safe jug as it is smaller in circumfrance - but deeper - thus your cake ball can be emersed and totally covered without fussing around and spooning chocolate over them to make sure they are covered.

Bluehue.
icon_smile.gif

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 57

I have made thousands of these. I must tell you that I bake cake and do not use scraps. I never have scraps so that is why I do a fresh one.

I freeze them once they are formed. I only take out about 5 to dip at a time. If they thaw then you will end up with cake in the chocolate and that will ruin it.
I put a toothpick into them, dip them and then place the opposite end into an egg carton that is empty. I let them dry without the flat spot.
Once they are dry you can pull them off the pick.

I hope this helps.

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:30pm
post #14 of 57

I find canned frosting slimy in general, so that may have been most of the problem. Butter-based frosting has not worked for my cake balls, but indydebi's BC has worked like a charm.

baycheeks1 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:52pm
post #15 of 57

When you have time to practice them a little more, then you will get more of a feel of how to do it. When I first made them, they weren't perfect but the next time they were good. After you've practiced them you will see what to add to them for them to hold and how long you need to leave them in the fredge or freezer. I have some make up and they stay in the fridge.

Point is just work at it and they'll get better

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #16 of 57

I've made cake balls a few times for parties and they were good, but what type of chocolate do you all use? I used the almond bark and that was the nasty part because it doesn't melt fast in your mouth like regular chocolate does. Do you all uses the candymelts/almond bark or actual chocolate, like the chips of the bars?

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #17 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedist

I've made cake balls a few times for parties and they were good, but what type of chocolate do you all use? I used the almond bark and that was the nasty part because it doesn't melt fast in your mouth like regular chocolate does. Do you all uses the candymelts/almond bark or actual chocolate, like the chips of the bars?

I used candymelts by wilton and they taste and melts good in the mouth

Peridot Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #18 of 57

Wonderful and helpful hints. I guess I am just going to have to try it and see how it works out.

I would love to hear from someones that uses something other than icing for the binding agent. Does anyone use the powdered coffee creamer (made into the liquid - I don't mean dry) instead and if so what are the results.

baycheeks1 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:39pm
post #19 of 57

Peridot, I have used peanut butter and nutella...mixed with chocolate cake. They were really good, just rich you know...

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:11pm
post #20 of 57

Cake balls are my #1 seller in my store. When I first started selling them I put them on a stick and shaped them according to Bakerella's blog....that was way too time consuming. I still do them that way if I have a special order for them to be that way. Now I almost always put them on mini ice cream cones.

I almost always used canned frosting for my binder but I have also used Torani syrups for added flavor, for example in white cake I add some french vanilla syrup and sprinkles and call it my "Birthday Cake" flavor.

I mix very large batches of balls at a time, scoop onto cookie sheets and then freeze. After they are frozen well I move them to a ziplock bag and only take out a few at a time. I always coat mine with almond bark, but I add paramount crystals to help be smooth and not crack as easily. (I imagine a little solid shortening would do the same thing).

Here is a picture of my display just so you can get an idea of what they look like on the cone ....
LL

Peridot Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:00am
post #21 of 57

KathyTW

I love your little ice cream cones - what a great idea and very cute. Thanks for sharing the pic and also your technique.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:32am
post #22 of 57

KathyTW that is adorable love your display and idea thanks for sharing, no wonder you sell so many

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:55am
post #23 of 57

[quote="ChiaraI put a toothpick into them, dip them and then place the opposite end into an egg carton that is empty. I let them dry without the flat spot.
Once they are dry you can pull them off the pick.

I hope this helps.[/quote]
So do U stick the toothpick into the carton with the cake ball suspended in the air? If so does the chocolate run off or drip off of the cake balls?

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:24am
post #24 of 57

I never seen the ice cream cones. What a great idea! Do you have anything under the cake ball?

I've done cake balls, cheesecake calls and cupcake pops and they are very time consuming but they are very popular right now. I freeze them after molding, then take a few out at a time to dip. I've used Candymelts and Merkens and both have worked out well for me.

KathyTW Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #25 of 57

mrsc808....I put a little chocolate into the bottom of the cone first to help it be more stable, then I dip just the top edge of the cone and let it set. Then I take the balls out of the freezer, dip the flat side of the ball into the chocolate and place it onto the cone, the two chocolate edges melt together like glue. This also ensures that the whole ball is covered in chocolate so they stay fresh.

Finally I dip the ball into the chocolate by holding on to the cone and I hold it upside down to drip off back into the chocolate pot.....if you balls are not frozen the cake mixture will fall off into your chocolate and make it "yucky". The last step is to decorate so that I can tell the difference in the flavors!

kaddikakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:04pm
post #26 of 57

I love this idea. Hope you don't mind if I try it? Also where do you get the mini ice cream cones?

KathyTW Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:14pm
post #27 of 57

By all means try them....that's the whole idea of sharing the idea!!!

I used to get them at Walmart but they stopped carrying them (at least here!)....other Walmarts may still carry them.

Now I buy them at our cash & carry type store, the only downside is I have to buy 1000 at a time!!! I think they're called "Kid Cones". If you need more specific info, just let me know.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm
post #28 of 57

I was just looking for info on making cake balls - glad I found this thread. I made 2 16X16 cakes - one white and one coloured orange - for my kids' Halloween party at school. I used ghost and pumpkin cookie cutters and cut out over 50. I've got all this leftover cake in bits that I can't use for anything else, and I hate to throw it out, so I thought I'd make cake balls from it. (I even gave some to a GF to make triffle with, and still have tons left.)

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:33pm
post #29 of 57

We love cake balls! I have brought them to many family functions and they are gone so fast! I have always used cake scraps and flavoured liquid coffee creamer as my binder. The recipe I use came from here, I think it is "cookieman"'s recipe. Very easy to make! Melted chocolate chips for the outer coating. I do freeze the balls first and dip with a plastic fork (middle tongs broke off).

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:15pm
post #30 of 57

I always have orders for cake balls ( otherwise known as cake truffles) I very rarely use bc as a binder, too greasy for my taste. I sell lots of them, caterers love them, easy to display and serve. icon_smile.gif

I use coffee creamer, fruit fillings, peanut butter, cream cheese, etc.

However, on another thread similar, someone mentioned that if your cake is already moist you do not need a binder. I tried it since more ofthen than not my cake scraps are very moist. It worked beautiful. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%