Cake Balls

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 12:02am by auntginn

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:00am
post #31 of 57

Thank you Kathy! I will need to look for those cones.

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:19am
post #32 of 57

Thank you everyone on how to make the cake balls. It worked great putting them in them in the freezer ............now my issue is how do I dip them in the chocolate and get them smooth? I tried last night and they looked horrible. I then tried adding corn syrup and re-heating (don't do that) them I added some liquid creamer. That consistency was great, but it made the cake balls mushy and wouldn't set up. This is all new to me. How much do I need to melt and then how do I dip???????????????? Thanks everyone for your help. I'm desperate.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:02pm
post #33 of 57

Did I understand this right, you added corn syrup to the chocolate? That would make candy clay and enough of that and you would have a tootsie roll concoction.

The cake balls do not need to be coated before dipping or reheated.

After they are chilled, you just dip them in melted chocolate and decorate as you wish.

I use a plastic fork that I have removed the 2 inside tines, works great for lifting and I can just throw it away when I'm done. After I lift the cake ball from the chocolate I tap the fork gently on the side of the bowl to allow any excess chocolate to fall off.

HTH

kaddikakes Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:15pm
post #34 of 57

I didn't know that's what corn syrup would do!!! My problem is when I dip the cake ball it doesn't coat right . . . maybe I'm not using enough choc. in my bow? Could that be it???

auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 1:32pm
post #35 of 57

What kind of chocolate are you using? Candy melts are the easiest, you don't have to temper the chocolate. Just melt and use.

They should coat immediately.

kaddikakes Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm
post #36 of 57

I'm using the candy melts (from Michael's) but I'm only using a little at a time 'cause I'm only making about 6 - 7 cake balls. Do I have to have enough choc. in the bowl so the cake ball is covered completely when I put it in the bowl? Could be my problem 'cause when I put the cake ball in the bowl it's not covered, I have to used my hand and that's messy!!!! I'm new to all of this but love the experimenting. icon_surprised.gif)

auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 2:24pm
post #37 of 57

No, you can make just a little at a time. I usually keep enough chcolate in the bowl to cover at least 1/2 of the cake ball. except of course close to the end then I have to work it by rolling it around to get it covered.

Try using a fork of small spatula instead of your hands. Not so messy.

I love this site too, because I learn so much and the try lots of the ideas that are posted here.

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #38 of 57

I have been making these for a little while now, but lately they have been cracking a lot and oozing orange 'grease'( sound gross). Has this happened to anyone else , if so, why? Thanks

Kerrym Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:58pm
post #39 of 57

I have been making these for a little while now, but lately they have been cracking a lot and oozing orange 'grease'( sound gross). Has this happened to anyone else , if so, why? Thanks

auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 6:59pm
post #40 of 57

If they crack its because the cake balls were too cold. Let them stand for a couple of minutes before coating them. I have had oozing, I think because they have too much either grease or liquid.

Kerrym Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #41 of 57

Thank you Auntginn!
Do you think it because I used canned cream cheese frosting?(yuckI know)
Kerry

auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #42 of 57

Yuck is right! thumbsdown.gif Sorry, I just hate those canned thingys. But all kidding aside it probably is, they are loaded with grease. What happens is when the chocolate hardens it squeezes on the cake ball so any excess grease or liquid will come oozing out. icon_cry.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:27pm
post #43 of 57

I made lemon cake balls with WASC scraps, and a mixture of plain cream cheese and lemon curd, dipped in white chocolate. I tried the white candy bark, but the white chocolate had a better flavor. The other recipe I used was WASC mixed with plain cream cheese and mini chocolate chips, dipped in dark chocolate. Both flavors were a big hit. I tried spice cake with cream cheese frosting dipped in white choc bark - too sweet for my taste! Others liked them, but they didn't disappear like the other flavors did. When I mixed cake with coffee creamer, they were too wet, froze and dipped, when they thawed, the coating cracked and the creamer came oozing out. Next time I know to use much less creamer.

auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm
post #44 of 57

Uuuu... those sound yummy. My best sellers are chocolate-chocolate, chocolate, white chocolate, chocolate raspberry, carrot cake. I love the lemon cake balls but they don't sell as fast.

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 10:48pm
post #45 of 57

Has anyone ever tried dipping them in the 'Chocomaker' brand of chocolate discs? Its the kind made for chocolate fountains - says 'no oil needed' on the package.
I bought some of the dark chocolate and thought it might make a good coating, but wondering if I have to re-chill them after dipping to get them to set up/harden?
Any thoughts?

auntginn Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 11:35pm
post #46 of 57

Have never used that brand of chocolate. Does it leave a thin or heavy hard shell?

Lambshack Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 1:04am
post #47 of 57

don't know yet... haven't tried it. thought i would maybe get some feedback before i tried it out.

auntginn Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:26pm
post #48 of 57

Jost wanted to show off my pumpkin shaped cake balls. They were made for my grandaughters school party. I take bad pics, icon_cry.gif I thought they actually looked better in person icon_biggrin.gif

Hope I can attach the ouc
LL

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:46pm
post #49 of 57

Auntginn- I think those look awesome!

I'm so glad I found this thread. I've been making cake balls for a while now, and I love them!

I use buttercream as a binder, and I would say about 1 cup per cake mix recipe. I use almond bark as coating. The last couple of times I had that grease oozing out too!

So if buttercream is too greasy what do you recommend to use? would a shortening base b.cream work better? I use half butter, half shortening. I don't like coffe creamer as binder.

Thank you!

Kerrym Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #50 of 57

I dont know if its the buttercream because last week I made a spice cake and added pumpkin puree and used liquid creamer and it leaked as well. I still don't understand why all of a sudden mine are always cracking. I have always put them in the freezer taken them out and dipped them. They do have condensation on them ....would that do it? I dont know...just confused!!

auntginn Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 6:58pm
post #51 of 57

I don't like bc as a binder, I use almost anything else. On these I used raspberry filling. I do use coffee creamer, or just plain coffee. Carmel topping, chocolate topping, peanut butter, cream cheese. Sometimes nothing. If the cake mixture is moist and will hold together no need for a binder.

The reason they oozed was because in order to dip them I used a skewer and it left a hold on top. By the time I went back to cover the hole and add the stem, them were already oozing.

That's also why I believe they looked a little on the messy side. My normal ones never look like this.

Going to post pics of both when I have a chance. We have lots of cake balls to make this weekend.

I love them not only because they sell well, but I love the taste.

auntginn Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:00pm
post #52 of 57

If they have condensation they were in the freezer too long. Try letting the cake balls sit out a minute or so before dipping.

Lambshack Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #53 of 57

Whenever I make chocolate-dipped strawberries, I get 'oozing' from the strawberries if they are refrigerated. I'm thinking that pourous things like cake and strawberries don't like to be trapped, and this is what happens. Regular chocolate truffles don't ooze, because the filling is solid. The natural sugars in the berries start to break down and ooze. What's up with the cake ooze???

candi_bar13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candi_bar13 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:53pm
post #54 of 57

I am loving all of this talk about cake balls! I recently discovered how to make them and they are GREAT! (Addicting...but, great!) Does anyone know how long you can store the finished cake balls in the fridge? And, can you store finished cake balls in the freezer?

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 11:56pm
post #55 of 57

i've stored undipped cake balls in the freezer with no problem.

candi_bar13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candi_bar13 Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 12:00am
post #56 of 57

I have stored undipped cake balls in the freezer, too. But, what about dipped cake balls? Can they be frozen? And, how long can they be refrigerated?

auntginn Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 12:02am
post #57 of 57

I have kept them stored for 30 days, but I make it a practice never to let them go more than that. Of course, its hard for them to stay around even a week.

On another thread someone mentioned that they stored finished cake balls in the freezer. Have never tried it personnally

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%