Can Anyone Tell Me Why

Decorating By tatorchip Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 2:00am by grams

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #1 of 22

did my 3 layer cake had gummy bottoms on each of the layers, I did not glaze them I only used bc between each layer but even the bottom layer was gummy about a 1/4 inch deep from bottom up. I would appreciate any help. TIA

21 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:50am
post #2 of 22

hmmmmm........when you say 3 layer, was this 1 layer torted to be 3 layers or 3 layers that you baked separately?

I was going to say that either they were not cooked enough or that the filling was getting absorbed into the cake making it gummy. Maybe....

tatorchip Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:55am
post #3 of 22

two layers torted into 4 but only used 3 and made cake balls out of the forth. I baked and wrapped in plastic and put in fridge and as I am typing I remember I didn't let the cakes cool all the way, was in a hurry, do you think that is the reason
Thanks dkelly

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:58am
post #4 of 22

If they were still warm when you covered them, I'd say its the leftover moisture wetting the bottom the the tiers. May be wrong, but thats my guess.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:59am
post #5 of 22

Moisture may have condensed on the plastic and soaked into the cake if they were not completely cooled--it happened to me once, parts of the outside were sort of mushy. I'm more careful about letting them cool now!

tatorchip Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:03am
post #6 of 22

thank ya'll, I never had that happen before but never wrapped very warm cakes either so hopefully that is what it was, thanks again

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:13am
post #7 of 22

I've never froze cakes before and I read on here to flip them out while warm and wrap in plastic wrap. That doing that would make them real moist. They came out real gummy.

tatorchip Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:18am
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I've never froze cakes before and I read on here to flip them out while warm and wrap in plastic wrap. That doing that would make them real moist. They came out real gummy.

they came out gummy from wrapping warm?
then that is my problem, that was the only thing I did different so that has to be it, right?
Thanks LaBellaFlor

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:21am
post #9 of 22

Thats the first time I tried freezing cakes and thats the only thing I could think of. It was like a layer of gumminess that I had to cut off. Someone said I may not have wrapped it tight enough, but I have industrial plastic wrap and wrapped them pretty tight. It made me stick to not freezing cakes.

Deb_ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:25pm
post #10 of 22

That's a good thought about wrapping warm, that had to be the culprit if it was the only thing you did differently.

There's a member on here (if I remember correctly and I'm not mixing up sites) that recommends wrapping warm layers, hot in fact, and freezing them right away. She/he claims this gives them a very moist cake.....maybe by moist she/he means "gummy". icon_confused.gif yuck! icon_razz.gif

I tried freezing for a while when I joined this site and saw how many people do it successfully, but I didn't like the results, not the taste but the results I was getting with my buttercream not adhering to the cake and many blowouts.

I decided it was from freezing so I stopped and haven't had any more problems....thank goodness. I also wait until the layers have cooled before I wrap them.

LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:33pm
post #11 of 22

Your right Dkelley it was on this site. I was following thier advice. It's jsut funny how some things for soem and not others, cause it certainly didn't work for me.

tatorchip Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:24pm
post #12 of 22

didn't work for me either, I just cut the bad part off and made cake balls and that tasted good, so much for that, at least I got something out of it and will be more careful for now on. Thanks ya'll for the help on figuring this one out.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:36pm
post #13 of 22

I don't freeze cakes for that reason too. For some it may work, it doesn't for me.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 22

Freezing doesnt work for me either.
I do wrap my cakes when they are bit warm though, I'm too inpatient to wait until they are complexly cooled to wrap them and get them in the fridge.
I have had the gummy bottom effect on cakes though and it happened when I wrapped them with heat still coming off of the them (opposed to just slightly warm in the center).
It was gross, sticky and messy, never did that again!

tatorchip Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 22

that sure makes me feel better knowing for sure what I did wrong, I was besides myself for a while then I said to myself just start over and make another cake and use the good part for cake balls, I am so glad to know it is so simple to correct what I did wrong.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:35pm
post #16 of 22

i notice that somethimes i use way to much of the cake release in my pans. and i think that is why mine come out like that, Just a thought,

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:11pm
post #17 of 22

I freeze mine but I wait until completely cooled! It seems to make a big difference in the moisture in the cake.

I recently made a cake and didn't wait till completely cooled. It was as though I didn't bake it at all. YUCK! My lil dog even cocked her head at me, like I was nuts. She wouldn't touch it! LOL

Deb_ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:42pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyMJ

I freeze mine but I wait until completely cooled! It seems to make a big difference in the moisture in the cake.

I recently made a cake and didn't wait till completely cooled. It was as though I didn't bake it at all. YUCK! My lil dog even cocked her head at me, like I was nuts. She wouldn't touch it! LOL

LOL even our dogs are "cake snobs" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Too funny!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:46pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

That's a good thought about wrapping warm, that had to be the culprit if it was the only thing you did differently.

There's a member on here (if I remember correctly and I'm not mixing up sites) that recommends wrapping warm layers, hot in fact, and freezing them right away. She/he claims this gives them a very moist cake.....maybe by moist she/he means "gummy". icon_confused.gif yuck! icon_razz.gif

I tried freezing for a while when I joined this site and saw how many people do it successfully, but I didn't like the results, not the taste but the results I was getting with my buttercream not adhering to the cake and many blowouts.

I decided it was from freezing so I stopped and haven't had any more problems....thank goodness. I also wait until the layers have cooled before I wrap them.

I wrap my layers in plastic about 5 minutes out of the oven and never had a gummy cake.

Gummy cake usually indicate a mixing issue.....

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:00pm
post #20 of 22

Maybe because you wrapped them early but i do it too! I would bet you didn't get them baked all the way or they weren't mixed right or long enough ( i'm guessing the later)

tatorchip Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #21 of 22

when I torted the layers they were done, except the bottoms were gummy, this never happened before. I made a single layer today and didn't wrap it till it was cooled all the way and put in the fridge, I will check it out in the morning, I had to get back on that horse and try again lol, I'll just make more cakeballs with it and bring to my moms, if it isn't gummy. Thanks everyone for the info.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:00am
post #22 of 22

I only let my cakes cool about 10 min then I flip them out of the pan and wrap and freeze them. They are still slightly warm. Don't have a problem with gummy bottoms and my customers love the moist cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%