Fonts?

Decorating By dpaulson512 Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm by dpaulson512

dpaulson512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dpaulson512 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 16

Hi Everyone:

I LOVE some of the fonts that I have seen on your cakes. HOW do you do them? I have terrible handwriting, and I'm so afraid to mess up a cake.

I've tried to download "fonts" from the Internet, with no luck...is there any place on CC that has different fonts?

Thanks for your time!

Dawn

15 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 16

Most people just go to Microsoft word or use any other programs/softwares (paint, photoshop, etc.) installed on the computer.

dpaulson512 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 16

Thank you, Rylan!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 16

DaFont.com!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 16

Meh, the pre-installed fonts are BOOOOOOOORING.

Jaime's right - dafonts.com rules!

Installing fonts is super-easy. Here you go: http://www.myfonts.com/support/help_install_win.html

__Jamie__ Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 16

Heck yeah! Want Harry Potter font? Want to type in Elvish (Lord of The Rings).....everything, it's so cool!

dpaulson512 Posted 11 Oct 2009 , 12:09pm
post #7 of 16

You guys ARE the best!

jenjen1018 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenjen1018 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:06am
post #8 of 16

OK, so the fonts are easy to download, but ( and forgive me if this sounds stupid) do we just print out the wording we want, and trace it onto the gumpaste/fondant by cutting it with a knife??

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:49am
post #9 of 16

Jen...I hope it's not a silly question because I had the same question as you! thumbs_up.gif
Bump

jenjen1018 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenjen1018 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:57am
post #10 of 16

I am glad it is not a dumb question icon_smile.gif However, it looks as if we are not going to get an answer icon_sad.gificon_biggrin.gif

patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 5:02am
post #11 of 16

Hey what I do is I print out what I want. Then I place parchment paper over the lettering and tape it down so it doesn't move. I then choose whatever color I want of royal icing and trace the writing. I let it dry and place it on the cake. Easy!!

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:52pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen1018

OK, so the fonts are easy to download, but ( and
forgive me if this sounds stupid) do we just print out the wording we want, and trace it onto the gumpaste/fondant by cutting it with a knife??

Yes

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:04pm
post #13 of 16

Another way to use the fonts, especially for big ones, is to cut them out and place them on the fondant or gumpaste and cut around them with an exacto knife. Sometimes I cut them out of foam so that no sharp edges of paper make indentions on the fondant. This method isn't worth the time unless you are working with BIG letters.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 16

I work mainly in buttercream. I like to use my publshing software to come up with the size, shape, and font I need to fit my cake. I print it in reverse, tape it to a piece of clear plastic, and pipe royal icing over the reversed fonts. When the royal icing dries, I use it like an impression mat to press into the buttercream. Then I go over the impression with my BC with a #2 or 3 tip.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 9:48pm
post #15 of 16

poohsmomma- I love that tip. I know it is probably a little time consuming but seems you can acheive a specialized font in buttercream that would be hard to pipe without this trick- Can't wait to try it!!!

dpaulson512 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 4:56pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks for much for ALL your tips on this! I would love to try the royal icing "impression" method, I just HATE making royal icing! LOL

Dawn icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%