What Wilton Products Do You Actually Use And Like Using?

Decorating By babeebk Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 10:48am by grandmom

babeebk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babeebk Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 34

Wilton has gotten a bad rap. Their products aren't always great quality but I credit them with getting me (and many other people) introduced to the wonderful world of cake decorating. For the last few months I've been buying most of my cake tools online, but yesterday I happened to go to Joann's for some scrapbooking stuff and I stopped to browse the cake deco aisle. Wilton has introduced lots of new products since I've been there last, but I was hesitant to purchase anything because in the past, I was always disappointed by the quality. Most Wilton items I've purchased, aside from various piping tips, are worthless to me. I had a 50% off coupon and I was thinking of buying the gumpaste flowers kit or the gumpaste toolbox as I'd like to learn how to make sugar flowers.

Do any of you own the Wilton Gumpaste flower kit or the Gumpaste tools kit? Is it worth the money?

This leads to the reason for my post....We all pretty much know from trial and error what Wilton products we don't like, but....What Wilton products do you actually USE and LIKE USING?

33 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 34

The reusable piping bags are good.I have had mine for years...Piping gel...tips...cake circles.I don't usually buy any fondant or gumpaste products as the one from FMM or PME from the UK are better quality.They are the yellow handled rollers etc..I'll buy the sprinkles and sanding sugars also.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 34

Wilton is the big box 'store' cake deco company--not that they can't do the fancy stuff either. But I think you picked one of their goodies though--the startup gum paste kit is really a good kit for gp flowers. You can't beat it for the price to see how you like it.

And those sweet little green plastic cutters are easier on your fingers than a lot of the metal ones--try making 900 blossoms --you will learn to love those comfy soft fat little green edges.

And I like thier ivory food color.
Although I despise 'the toothpick method'--instantly annoys me.

Wilton has some great encyclopedias too--out of print probably but good old fashioned in depth decorating--all kinds. One of the few comprehensive resources in their day to my knowlege.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 34

there is another long thread on this same subject.. i don,t know how to lead you there.. maybe someone else could.. hth

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Wilton is the big box 'store' cake deco company--not that they can't do the fancy stuff either. But I think you picked one of their goodies though--the startup gum paste kit is really a good kit for gp flowers. You can't beat it for the price to see how you like it.

And those sweet little green plastic cutters are easier on your fingers than a lot of the metal ones--try making 900 blossoms --you will learn to love those comfy soft fat little green edges.

Although I despise 'the toothpick method'--instantly annoys me.

Wilton has some great encyclopedias too--out of print probably but good old fashioned in depth decorating--all kinds. One of the few comprehensive resources in their day to my knowlege.

Hey k8memphis, Can i ask, what is the toothpick method? im thinking its were u used a toothpick in the gel colours, to colour your fondant/icing etc, But just wanted to ask why it annoyed you before i assumed it was that and not something else lol

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 34

I have the gp flower kit and really like it, definitely worth the money although I managed to break the tools it came with. I bought another set of Wilton gumpaste tools and they work just fine. I find a lot of the wilton stuff is overpriced for what it is and the quality. I bought their set of petal pans ons ale but haven't used them yet, so I don't know if they are any good.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caths_Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Although I despise 'the toothpick method'--instantly annoys me...

Hey k8memphis, Can i ask, what is the toothpick method? im thinking its were u used a toothpick in the gel colours, to colour your fondant/icing etc, But just wanted to ask why it annoyed you before i assumed it was that and not something else lol

Yeah that's all it is--I mean you gotta grab a toothpick, unscrew the cap, set it down, poke in the stupid toothpick, the least accurate device ever for measuring somethign as critical as freaking food color--coax just enough of the uncooperative gel onto the tip of it--oops it fell off--try it again--if you're not careful the toothpick will break or you get the color on your fingertips diggin in the mini jar---got too much you waste it --not enough get another toothpick--it's absurd--it is theee most archaic way of dispensing food color ever. Tremendously inefficient and uneconomical time wise. Stupid.

Rant much, Kate? Why yes thank you think I will. icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 34

I have the Wilton gumpaste flower kit and the set of gumpaste tools. I've been using the flower kit for years and it's very useful, at least for the smaller 5 petal flowers. The veiner in it doesn't really vein anything. I don't know if they've changed the tools that came with it...back when I bought it, it included two wooden sticks, a gray foam pad and a thicker greeen one. The book that comes with it definitely doesn't have the prettiest flowers in the world, but it's enough to get you started.

I like the gumpaste tools. There are only a couple that I use really frequently though. Another good source of tools is the clay aisle...check out Sculpey Studio tools...the metal cutters that come with plastic veiners, the metal ball tools, etc...

As for other products, the small Wilton leveler, spatulas, disposable bags (for the reusable I prefer Ateco fabric bags), piping tips, 3" deep pans, small white plastic rolling pin, cooling grids (going to buy the big one next time I go to Joanns)...all of those have been good to me so far.

Oh, and cookie cutters and chocolate molds....right now they have a skull mold for Halloween that is just too fun icon_biggrin.gif

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 34

I second the samll leveler and the chocolate molds. Mmmmmm, chocolate! Just got the 3D tombstones and 3D skulls, can't wait to use them!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 34

I use a lot of Wilton products that I like:

pan sets (I know they don't get rave reviews, but they haven't failed me yet)
disposable piping bags
tips and couplers
paste colors (I like Americolor too)
fondant for modelling pieces that won't be eaten
large, small, and v-shaped spatulas
piping gel
candy melts
cake cardboards

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 34

I use their couplers, many of their icing tips, the reusable decorating bags, and their 3" deep cake pans. That's pretty much it (off the top of my head). thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 34

you know they have luster dust now, maybe they call it pearl dust......regardless it's in a tube instead of a little jar and I love it.....much more sparkly than just regular pearl dust. Sometimes you want the sheer sparkle of the pearl luster dust, but sometimes you just want some sparkle and it definitely gives sparkle

The GP flower making kit is a great buy too.
Also, they're good for the odd shaped pans (egg pan, sports ball pan, wonder mold, etc)

I like their .50 cookie cutters too (I cut the circle ones and bend them into spirals to use as pattern presses on cakes)

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 34

I have some of their round pans still, would never ever purchase their squares after enjoying Magic Line. Both sizes of fondant rolling pins, their drums for smaller cakes. Let's see.....ummmm, I think that's it. Oh! The GP tool kit, except the cutter wheel- POC (ha-CC, explain what that little abbreviation means!)

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm
post #14 of 34

I like using wiltons, tips, piping bags ,couplers, icing colors. I like using wiltons vanilla and almond flavoring. I have tried buttercream frosting in the big tub and i liked the taste. I have most of wilton's cake pans.

Texas_Rose Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Oh! The GP tool kit, except the cutter wheel- POC (ha-CC, explain what that little abbreviation means!)

The little wheel is good for cutting between the petals if you are unfortunate enough to be using Wilton's quick rose cutters icon_razz.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I use a lot of Wilton products that I like:

pan sets (I know they don't get rave reviews, but they haven't failed me yet)
disposable piping bags
tips and couplers
paste colors (I like Americolor too)
fondant for modelling pieces that won't be eaten
large, small, and v-shaped spatulas
piping gel
candy melts
cake cardboards

I have bunches of Wilton, and the above is a great list of items. I use their fondant for dummies... perfect for that!

Add to the above:

Cake lifters - awesome
Decorative Cake Boards
Gumpaste Tool Set - multicolored handles (although the ball tools have a rougher seam than just the plain green set.)
Gumpaste Flower Kit
Premade Gumpaste in the bag
Meringue Powder
Imprint Mats

...just to name a few more

babeebk Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:10pm
post #17 of 34

I liked the Wilton large fondant rolling pin, until I discovered this one:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=328599

makes rolling out fondant a BREEZE!!!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #18 of 34

I have a few products from Wilton I like and buy. I love the fondant cutter/wheel. My family always wants to use it to cut pizza. I purchased an impression mat but just used it for the first time last month. Have not posted the pic yet. I buy their fondant now that I have learned to make mmf and mix the 2. I like the results. I have the gp flower kit but don't really like it as well as the other products available. Cutters are ok, but the leaf veiner is not worth a hill of beans. I learned to make my rose petals by hand and love them so much more now. Saves a lot of time as well.

By the way, I think (fwiw) the reason Wilton has gotten a bad wrap is because most people have forgotten the fact that Wilton was based on the concept of providing products for the "home baker" or novelist. As our talents begin to grow and our small businesses grow we need a more professional grade of tools and for some of us that is hard to get so we keep working with what we have.

Texas_Rose Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #19 of 34

This will be my next rolling pin: http://www.fiestaproducts.com/sil-pin-bakers.html (DH is buying it for me for Christmas but he doesn't know it yet icon_biggrin.gif)

I have the regular Sil-pin with the handles and love it.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:09pm
post #20 of 34

cake release
heating core
premade gumpaste
gumpaste mix for crowns and structures
choc mint and PB candy melts
cake circles

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:31pm
post #21 of 34

Some pans....cake circles....spatulas....decorating bags....tips....flower nails....clear vanilla....butter flavor (on rare occasions)....cake drums (on rare occasions...love to use the Michael's coupons on this stuff)....couplers...some cutters....occasional cupcake papers, candy molds....premade gumpaste...probably a few other various and assorted things as well, like lollipop sticks and treat bags or whatever.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:36pm
post #22 of 34

Interesting question! There's so much about Wilton that I don't like, but when I start listing what I like, it's actually a lot!

Bake Even Strips (LOVE these...had my mom sew velcro on them!)
Large leveler (I know I'm in the minority. It works great for me and I HATE the small one)
Decorative Cake Bases
Cake Icer Tip
Juniper, Moss, Cornflower, Delphinium colors (Americolor has no equivalent)
Premade chocolate icing (YUM!)
Premade white icing (comes in handy in a pinch, decent taste)
Premade gumpaste
Disposable piping bags
Featherweight bags
Tips, Couplers
Cake cardboards
Cookie Cutters (cheap, especially with a 50% coupon!)
Mesh dishwasher bag (intended for tips, but I use for my kid's re-usable juice box straws b/c I'm always afraid the water pressure will sweep them up and they'll land on the heating element and melt).

Items in bold I LOVE
icon_smile.gif

Oops! I forgot the flower nail for baking cakes. Works great icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #23 of 34

Oh! Gumpaste!! Love their gumpaste, love it love it!! The premade and the pwder mix!

babeebk Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:45pm
post #24 of 34

ooooh I forgot about the premade gumpaste. I love it, I just hate the package it's in. I always cut it out the package and place it in a ziploc. I wish they sold it in larger quantities!

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:03pm
post #25 of 34

I agree with what most everyone else is saying...I think their premade gumpaste is great and the price is VERY decent! Especially when you have a 50% off coupon at the craft stores! icon_smile.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:30pm
post #26 of 34

I use the disposable bags, the wilton books to give me ideas, As mentioned they have cool new halloween candy molds, I just got the 3D sculls and eyeballs, as well as the 3d tombstones and the skeleton fingers for pretzle rods.....I love Halloween baking. They also have a good selection of sprinkes.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:48pm
post #27 of 34

Wow... I can't believe that Win is the only user of meringue powder.. It makes great royal icing... (but never in buttercream~! icon_surprised.gif ) icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:47pm
post #28 of 34

I don't think Wilton is that bad.

Here is my list:

Green turntable
Tips
GP Tools
Fondant (I'll add tylose) for figures
Metal Spatulas
Flower formers

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #29 of 34

My favorite Wilton products are the candy molds. They never have a huge selection but they come out with new ones all the time and retire old molds. The quality of the plastic is no different than other brands that sell for the same price, all of them are prone to cracking, so I buy all brands. Wilton has really been coming up with some outstanding molds the last couple years, especially holiday molds like the 3d tombstone.

My kids really like the pretzel molds and I buy all that I can find.

For boxes, boards, wooden dowels, etc I see no real quality difference between them and other brands so I get what I can find and what's cheapest.

Their melts aren't as good as other brands but they're okay so if it's all I can find I go with them. They are making black and spooky green for Halloween this year so I've bought a few bags of the black to use all year so I don't have to mess with coloring.

For basic shapes the cookie cutters are a good price especially if you find the holiday sets of 18 or so with a coupon. I do like the stacking cutter sets, I think the reindeer is my favorite. They don't make cool things like pirate ships so I buy special shapes as I need them.

For pans I do like the basic shaped like the ball and wondermold that can be the base for many things.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm
post #30 of 34

Where I live in Indiana it is online or wilton. I have to order my cake drums as no one carries them arround here. I end up paying more for shipping then what it is worth. I use lots of wilton but I have purchased things online and like the quality a bit more. I always mean to check the clay lane when I go to craft stores but just forget. I like the impression mats for cupcakes but that is about it. Usually to much for me to mess with on a cake. I'll mess up for sure or you'll see where it doesn't match up right. My grandpa always says I have one eye lower than the other one. LOL...

I have the flower kit and really like it. I use it for all sorts of things. Not just flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%