9.18.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 19 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm by korensmommy

ladybug614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug614 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:56am
post #61 of 81

i have my dad's bday cake to do tomorrow, a duck cake for a co worker for Monday and a 2 tier zebra print bday cake for another co workers daughter. Love this topic and this night!!!!!!!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 4:59am
post #62 of 81

Hello everyone,

Kneadacookie, that's just sooo adorable! One of the perks of being the kid of a decorator, your b'day cakes are never simple! LOL!

Baking today consisted of making 36 lemon scones with lemon glaze for a brunch tomorrow. Sunday I will make the MMF for the hamburger b'day cake due Thursday. Other than that a light week.

I'll post when I get the cake done!

Cat

ps...thank you everyone for the tips on freezing cupcakes...everyone at the Cub Scouts Fundraiser were thrilled about the 100 cupcakes!

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:04am
post #63 of 81

Hi all I usually stop by Fri nite put to tired to type lol Chelseak have you or any other cakers seen the jumbo marshmellows yet? I bought a bag last week they are at least 2 1/2' across. I'm using them to make halloween monsters.

cakenutz Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:07am
post #64 of 81

thank you

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:13am
post #65 of 81

Waiting for cornsyrup mixture to become lukewarm.....

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:16am
post #66 of 81

I just spent tooooo long messing with cake balls that were supposed to look like cannon balls. I'm STILL not pleased.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:21am
post #67 of 81

I'm still working on a sandcastle wedding cake for tomorrow, just ran out of piping gel, so no more attaching "sand" tonight will have to wait till morning to go get some more. I only have 2 pieces left to attach so it won't take long tomorrow.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:27am
post #68 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

can't wait to post tomorrow's wedding cake pic. Bride picked an older design from my OLD photos, so it's lots of BC flowers and BC decor! In fall colors! LUV IT!! YAY!! It's a 3 tier on the acrylic free standing stands.

Please let us know when you post it. I love fall colors (and BC).

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:34am
post #69 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Texas_Rose is she going to be a monster bride or a bride, my daughter went one year as a monster bride

She's going to be the Corpse Bride, from the movie about the boy who's practicing his wedding vows in the woods and puts the ring on a tree branch, except that it's really the Corpse Bride's skeletal arm.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:41am
post #70 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenutz

Does anyone know how to void a post? I am so sorry I shared with you all don't mean to bring anyone else down please VOID

There's an edit button on your posts on the top right. You can't delete after it's been replied to but you can edit out the text.

Please don't feel like you can't share with us though..sometimes talking to a bunch of strangers about something that's tearing your heart apart is the best way to figure out how to deal with your feelings around the people you do know.

I haven't had to deal with the situation you're in...but I think you should make a cake that celebrates his life, and make his party about that too. Let him know how much you love him and how much joy he's brought to your life by being in it. Don't try to downplay the birthday...if you knew that your birthday could be your last, wouldn't you want to celebrate with everyone who loves you?

Anyhow, I can't even imagine how you're feeling, but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and please, please don't feel like you can't talk about it here.

cakenutz Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:45am
post #71 of 81

Thank you very much Texasrose . You're right I knew the right answer but can't get my heart to listen to my head. Know what I mean?

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:54am
post #72 of 81

cakenutz; no I haven't seen any marshmallows that big... I'm in Canada though, maybe they aren't here yet... you guys always have fun stuff in the states that we don't have yet icon_smile.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:03am
post #73 of 81

I just finished 600 mini cupcakes for a bridal show tomorrow. That is a heck of a lot of cupcakes. I hope I don't have a ton of leftovers. This is my first bridal show. I'm pretty excited!

cakenutz Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:14am
post #74 of 81

I bought them in California and I live in Arkansas Nothing like a marshmellow that fits tight into your cup of cocoa LOL

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 6:36am
post #75 of 81

Texas_Rose that sounds like a lot of fun, did ya'll ever go the place in Beaumont that has the spooky house, a lot of people from here go, my daughter went several times and loves it

cakenutz where did you get them, I mean which store and what brand? TIA

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 11:43am
post #76 of 81

TX Rose,
It's not strange - I do it all the time!

I have a friend who is a professional photographer, one who sells Pampered Chef and one who makes boutique dresses and bows.
They order cakes/cupcakes from me all the time and when I need something they sell, we set up a barter.

My avatar is from an Easter photo session I traded for an Easter cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Hi ladies,

All I'm working on tonight is a couple dozen cupcakes that I'm trading to someone for an antique wedding dress that's beyond repair for normal use, for my daughter to use as a Halloween costume icon_biggrin.gif

How's that for strange? Mostly it's a lesson for my daughter about working for the things she gets...we molded chocolate cameos and teapots for toppers.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #77 of 81

i had an 8 inch army theme boys birthday cake to do, only took 2.5 hours to crumb coat, fondant, decorate and make the figure and dogtags - that's definitly a new record. was very lazy this week,would usually have had the figure and stuff already done so im pretty pleased i got it all done.

korensmommy Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #78 of 81

That is an awesome cake, I cannot believe you did all that in 2.5 hours!!

I just took an order for a camo cake w/dogtags for next month. How did you get the fondant that silver color?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

i had an 8 inch army theme boys birthday cake to do, only took 2.5 hours to crumb coat, fondant, decorate and make the figure and dogtags - that's definitly a new record. was very lazy this week,would usually have had the figure and stuff already done so im pretty pleased i got it all done.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 5:39pm
post #79 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

everytime i do a cake, i remember why i do cookies. just finished a fancy nancy cake for my daughters 6th birthday tomorrow

Apparently, you should be making more cakes! That is absolutely gorgeous!! icon_biggrin.gif

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:13pm
post #80 of 81

[quote="korensmommy"]That is an awesome cake, I cannot believe you did all that in 2.5 hours!!

I just took an order for a camo cake w/dogtags for next month. How did you get the fondant that silver color?

Thanks!

[quote="Cathy24"]i had an 8 inch army theme boys birthday cake to do, only took 2.5 hours to crumb coat, fondant, decorate and make the figure and dogtags - that's definitly a new record. was very lazy this week,would usually have had the figure and stuff already done so im pretty pleased i got it all done.[/quote][/quote]

thanks, im usually a major slow-ass so i was suprised myself!! i think the fact that there was very little lettering and the figure was lying down and the camoflage was random shapes all helped to make it a speedy cake....the dog tags were jiust white fondant/gumpaste mix painted with silver luster dust. i use the silver and gold for details on nearly every cake. couldnt go without it!! you can dust it or paint like i did by mixing the dust with lemon juice or vodka.

korensmommy Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #81 of 81

Thanks for the tip Cathy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%